Group Colors on User Links

This plugin forces most user links throughout the Invision Community to display member group color/formatting.

This applies in all places where the \IPS\Member object is used to produce links to a member.

Your user name in the cover photo and also on profile hovercards (when you cursor over a username/photo and the mini profile appears) remain un-formatted and probably should remain that way as background images will nearly always conflict with the group formatted color and should remain white. See below.

If you are wondering why some areas do not have formatted names and others do that is because there are many different ways the userlink is created throughout the suite. If the IPS\Member object is used the group color will be applied automatically. In EVERY other instance additional coding is required. Sometimes easy, other times not. 

Search and Stream Results are particularly challenging as they actually involve language files with variable passed directly to the language construct. As is right now you will see Search and Stream Results do have group formatting applied but the trailing possessive does not - i.e. Fate's topic. There may be away around this but it will require new language bits and that means translations and so on...

Version 12 is 4.3 compatible and FREE - find it attached below.

Version 11 is the last compatible version for 4.2 and is also FREE - find it attached below. 

Both version 11 and 12 are no longer supported! Version 13 and onward is paid and supported (as far as future Invision Community system changes will allow me)

Currently the only difference between version 12 and version 13 is support for status replies is fixed in v13.

At the time of this support topic creation the mod is beer/coffee priced. $7 with $4/year renewal. Just got to the point where the support requests (and patches for IPS changes) took too much time away from other things. 

FREE Group Color on User Link 12 - 4.3 only.xml

FREE Group Color on User Link 11 - 4.2 only.xml

Hi,

May I know what is the difference between v12 and v13 since both are IPS 4.3 compatible?

Also, did you (or possibly previous developer?) delete the previous plugin listing? I bookmarked it and it's no longer found. So I found your plugin by manually searching through the marketplace.

On 5/5/2018 at 2:01 AM, All Astronauts said:

Currently the only difference between version 12 and version 13 is support for status replies is fixed in v13.

Its right there in the description in this thread and the Marketplace listing.

1 minute ago, Shyuan said:

Also, did you (or possibly previous developer?) delete the previous plugin listing? I bookmarked it and it's no longer found. So I found your plugin by manually searching through the marketplace.

Yes, removed. Both the 4.2 and 4.3 versions are linked here in this topic and in the new Marketplace listing.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Just in case anyone is actually following this topic, it appears (haven't seen the code yet though) that the new group formatting feature built in for 4.4 is just doing what this plugin did years ago. There is a variable on the IPS\Member object for group formatting - it's always been there - I think all IPS did was flip the bit from "false" to "true". That just nulls out a portion of what this plugin does so if you still want formatting nearly everywhere, this plugin will remain valid. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, this is the first time I've actually went over the plugin with 4.4.

When they announced built-in formatting with 4.4 my initial thought was they were just flipping a bit in some of the standard templates from OFF to ON, in which case this plugin would still be valid for edge cases.

However, they've done the thing more completely and aside from the top of the messenger message where it lists all the members in the conversation, everywhere else is accounted for.

1) Disable this plugin.

2) ACP - Members - Profiles - Profile Settings Tab, scroll to the bottom of the page:

alldone.thumb.PNG.4545aba6e2551ade334fe5f8aade89c3.PNG

Flip that to Global and save and you have this plugin.

I'll be editing the Marketplace description now but this is pretty much over and done with unless anyone can find somewhere it's not applied with that setting set to global.

Alright, V14 going up momentarily. All it does is specifically mods out those forum post bits (both desktop and mobile views). Otherwise that global group option covers the rest BUT there may still be exceptions. The way the code works for these is if nothing is specified when these link templates are called, it checks to see if the global setting in the ACP is on, and if so then formats, BUT if the template is already being specifically passed in TRUE or FALSE for the formatting bit in these link templates, those take precedence - like this forum bit where they figure the group name is already there and being formatted so no need to format name. 

No settings for now, it's only this single bit now so no need. 

On 2/25/2019 at 4:51 AM, All Astronauts said:

Alright, V14 going up momentarily. All it does is specifically mods out those forum post bits (both desktop and mobile views). Otherwise that global group option covers the rest BUT there may still be exceptions. The way the code works for these is if nothing is specified when these link templates are called, it checks to see if the global setting in the ACP is on, and if so then formats, BUT if the template is already being specifically passed in TRUE or FALSE for the formatting bit in these link templates, those take precedence - like this forum bit where they figure the group name is already there and being formatted so no need to format name. 

No settings for now, it's only this single bit now so no need. 

Been using this plugin for years, but quick question for 4.4.

Is there a way you can choose to target secondary groups instead of the main group? This way in the settings I can choose to show the colour of the secondary group. The reason being is that I have some main groups but they also inherit a second group which is their colour. I use group promotions on a yearly basis, so year 1 is just a standard colour, but their secondary group is a set colour, and this is what I'd like to show across the forum.

Is it do able?

Do-able? Yeah, but kinda complicated. Members often have MANY secondary groups. So which takes precedence? No matter what would need to account for multiple secondary groups and then determine which over-ride which for formatting. That and all the userlink templates would need to be over-written to account for the new stuff (they only account for primary groups when determining applying colors). 

I can see a path but its work and not a lot of reward... I'll mull it some more.

13 minutes ago, All Astronauts said:

Do-able? Yeah, but kinda complicated. Members often have MANY secondary groups. So which takes precedence? No matter what would need to account for multiple secondary groups and then determine which over-ride which for formatting. That and all the userlink templates would need to be over-written to account for the new stuff (they only account for primary groups when determining applying colors). 

I can see a path but its work and not a lot of reward... I'll mull it some more.

Ah I can see how that could be a problem. I wasn't accounting for multiple secondary groups, be surprised if you need more then 1 but I guess people do.

Cheers