IPS 4.3 - Elasticsearch

RevengeFNF

5 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

Guess I'm just not cool enough to sit in Starbucks (the universal Apple congregation spot) with a MacBook.....:lol:

I do. Be your own kind of awesome I say.

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Or Charles's kitchen table :lol:

I used to, but I suppose it has been a while since my last invite. :cry:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/4/2018 at 6:07 AM, InvisionHQ said:

maybe it's also a budget problem, who owns a dedicated server (or vps) does not spend a dollar manually install stuff.

Yeah, I have two servers dedicated to my forum, I can easily put elasticsearch on one of them.  I think one of the servers has 64GB of RAM, so that should do fine.  No need to pay someone else when I can host it myself.  

3 minutes ago, AtariAge said:

Yeah, I have two servers dedicated to my forum, I can easily put elasticsearch on one of them.  I think one of the servers has 64GB of RAM, so that should do fine.  No need to pay someone else when I can host it myself.  

How can you have 2 servers dedicated to your forum? How does that work? :)

20 minutes ago, David.. said:

How can you have 2 servers dedicated to your forum? How does that work? :)

Database server is on a separate box, and both servers have a private, local connection to one another in the same datacenter.  This has worked out pretty well so far.  I also converted the entire database to InnoDB at the same time, which has the advantage that I can backup the entire database without affecting the live site.  I'm still running 3.4.x, and knowing 4.x is a bit more resource intensive, this was another incentive for me to get this done.  My forum has nearly four million posts and typically has nearly 1,000 visitors online at peak hours during the day.  

One reason I hadn't pulled the trigger before now on upgrading to 4.x is I was waiting for a third-party search solution.  I'm currently running Sphinx, which works very well and made a big impact in quality of search results, has greater configuration flexibility (I allow two-character search terms, for instance), and taxes the server significantly less than MySQL's Full-Text search.  I'm excited to get my server onto 4.3 once it becomes available. 

I have a third, dedicated development server setup with a 4.2 migration I have been playing around with, partially to prove I wouldn't have any critical issues doing the migration from 3.4.x, and to start investigating what third party apps and hooks I want/need to install. Plus, I have a custom skin that needs to be recreated from scratch, as well as several third-party skins that people actively use, so need to see which of those have been migrated to 4.x, if any. 

8 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

Are there any differences in terms of performance between using elasticsearch in localhost or in another server? (both servers with the same hardware)?

Basically, if it add's latency for using elasticsearch outside.

Well... yeah, there'll be latency. Ideally it would be negligible but that's really up to your environment.

Just now, Mark said:

Well... yeah, there'll be latency. Ideally it would be negligible but that's really up to your environment.

Ping between both servers is in the range of 5ms and 6ms. I hope its enough to ne negligible. But i will probably do some tests to check if i notice anything.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, pequeno said:

Thank you @RevengeFNF

Is that value set through the IPS administration or I need configure something in Elasticsearch?

Because for example in Xenforo, the "Elasticsearch Index Name" in ACP is the same that  "cluster.name:" value of elasticsearch.

"cluster_name" : "elasticsearch",

And in acp im using the default "content", so i don't think its related.

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2018 at 4:07 AM, RevengeFNF said:

"cluster_name" : "elasticsearch",

And in acp im using the default "content", so i don't think its related.

Hello, How much “heap size” have you put in the elastic search  configuration?

Is ElasticSearch available on the hosted service? Is this something that can run on shared hosting environment or strictly needs VPS? Minimum Specs?

Can ElasticSearch be run on its own VPS and forum elsewhere? Any downsides to this arrangement?

10 minutes ago, ASI said:

Is ElasticSearch available on the hosted service? Is this something that can run on shared hosting environment or strictly needs VPS? Minimum Specs?

Can ElasticSearch be run on its own VPS and forum elsewhere? Any downsides to this arrangement?

1. Not available for CiC by default.

2. If you mean can you get a shared host and run ES there? No. It's a server-level runtime.

3. Depends on the size of your tables.

4. Yes.

5. Security would be the only concern that I'm aware of.

1 minute ago, AlexWright said:

3. Depends on the size of your tables.

How can I find this and what effects would it have?

1 minute ago, AlexWright said:

5. Security would be the only concern that I'm aware of. 

Would search result speed reduce by much doing it this way? How can it be secured?

3 minutes ago, ASI said:

How can I find this and what effects would it have?

Would search result speed reduce by much doing it this way? How can it be secured?

Based on my test import of 1.6M posts and roughly 100k pm's my ES hard disk usage was around 6GB.

Speed would be affected by the ping time from your host to the ES server so if you had a vps I would ping your site ip and see how much latency it would add directly. AWS can host it for you as a service as well and I think CiC is in AWS (if I recall) so that would reduce the latency if you are in the same region.

1 minute ago, sudo said:

Based on my test import of 1.6M posts and roughly 100k pm's my ES hard disk usage was around 6GB.

Speed would be affected by the ping time from your host to the ES server so if you had a vps I would ping your site ip and see how much latency it would add directly. AWS can host it for you as a service as well and I think CiC is in AWS (if I recall) so that would reduce the latency if you are in the same region.

How much RAM is yours needing? I guess could spin up AWS, install Elastic and pick something as close to site server as possible for best performance? What about security?

38 minutes ago, ASI said:

How much RAM is yours needing? I guess could spin up AWS, install Elastic and pick something as close to site server as possible for best performance? What about security?

We are not live yet so I dont know what it would need in the real world. You dont need to install it yourself, its a service they run called ElasticSearch. Just configure it, set a security group to only allow connections from your server ip and put the https url in IPB. They dont need a port as it uses https port.

When accessing the URL directly via browser from different IPs it appears to be working. But, in the admincp it states

"The server did not return the expected response. Check Elasticsearch is properly installed and accessible from your web server. If you visit the provided URL in your browser you should see details about the installed version. Error: Connection timed out after 10000 milliseconds"

Archived