IPS 4.3 - Elasticsearch

RevengeFNF

So, we will have Elasticsearch implementation in the next 4.3 release of IPS.

Improved Search

We now support Elasticsearch for scalable and accurate searching that MySQL alone cannot provided. There are also enhancements to the overall search interfaces based on your feedback.

Can IPS team tell us what will be the version requirement of Elasticsearch? The last one is 6.1.x.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management
1 hour ago, RevengeFNF said:

Thank you. 

Just another quick question. 

If we use ElasticSearch, i suppose there will be no need for the core_search_index table. Is this true and Activity Streams will also use ElasticSearch? 

Yes :) we will post full details in an upcoming entry.

Lots of thumbs up across that entire blog post on 4.3 (I'd stick over 75 thumbs-up emoticons here but since we're limited to 74 why bother :p )

Configurable search settings double-plus good!

Not locking us to a single-provider for Elasticsearch servers? Thank you.

Rest-API Search? Triple plus good (the integrations with Slack/RocketChat/Discord....) Asked for this one a long while back - really glad it's here. I've got one community where this will just rock.

Dare I ask? Pages DB fields beyond title and the single field flagged as "content"? That and Commerce search and I think you'll have this search thing bagged.

2 hours ago, Misi said:

Does it need a VPS or dedicated server?

It depends on the size of your forum and the resources of your vps/server. You need to allocate Ram to elasticsearch, but you are already allocating Ram(in a good configuration) to your Database, and it will be smaller without the core_search_index table, so you can allocate that Ram that will now be free to elasticsearch.

Just to give you an example, currently my IPS Database occupies 3.8Gb and im allocating 4Gb of Ram to the innodb buffer pool. If i change to Elasticsearch, my Database will decrease from 3.8Gb to 2.3Gb, that means i can adjust the buffer pool to 2.5Gb, meaning i will have 1,5Gb of Ram free to allocate to Elasticsearch.

From what i have read. the consensus is that we should allocate 512Mb of Ram to Elasticsearch per Million Documents.

3 hours ago, RevengeFNF said:

It depends on the size of your forum and the resources of your vps/server. You need to allocate Ram to elasticsearch,

So it probably means that elasticsearch wouldn't work on shared hosting?

@Misi it definitely needs a VPS or dedicated server as it’s an application you install on your server. The search index is also stored outside of the database in your file system which needs to be in a non public location.

You also need Java installed as a dependency.

13 minutes ago, Morgin said:

@Joel R I spot a potential 4.3 news leak. IPS to offer elasticsearch hosting with CitC! (j/k @Charles, we won't hold you to this :))

I saw that, but I feel like the fact that IPS allows integration with any elasticsearch hosting means they're not going to offer it themselves, they're going to outsource  their cloud clients to Amazon Elastic.  

3 minutes ago, Joel R said:

I saw that, but I feel like the fact that IPS allows integration with any elasticsearch hosting means they're not going to offer it themselves, they're going to outsource  their cloud clients to Amazon Elastic.  

Nonsense. This is an evolution in the IPS view of competitors in the hosting space once they introduce their new version of CitC. "You COULD host with some third party provider, but we are better and competitive in pricing, so why would you?" :D

8 minutes ago, Morgin said:

Nonsense. This is an evolution in the IPS view of competitors in the hosting space once they introduce their new version of CitC. "You COULD host with some third party provider, but we are better and competitive in pricing, so why would you?" :D

Maybe? There's a lot of stuff they could do on their hosted platform including hosting elastic search.  We will have to wait for their blog post on elastic, which I feel like will be THE big thing of 4.3 that we'll all reminisce about one day with our grandkids.  

14 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Maybe? There's a lot of stuff they could do on their hosted platform including hosting elastic search.  We will have to wait for their blog post on elastic, which I feel like will be THE big thing of 4.3 that we'll all reminisce about one day with our grandkids.  

Just to be clear, I was being facetious. I'm excited for the hosting updates to come though! 

33 minutes ago, Joel R said:

In theory, every CiC client that changes to elasticsearch will use less resources, so i don't see any reason for IPS to not offer elasticsearch in their infrastructure. Without elasticsearch, databases are almost double the size and every search will do a query to the database.

Archived