News Ticker [ support topic ]

Can you elaborate a bit more on how it works, it is a bit confusing to me:

Who can add tickers - admins only or preselected groups?

Can you add ticker only for yourself or it is a global one for everyone? 

Can you add more then one tickers, how are they displayed, one below the other or the content is mixed? 

Lets say I am admin and I have preselected 10 tickers from RSS feeds. Can users decide which they want displayed and which hidden?

Sorry for the many questions, but I am just wrestling with trying to include RSS feeds in my forums, while at the same time prevent flooding of the activity stream with new rss entries :)

4 hours ago, jair101 said:

Who can add tickers - admins only or preselected groups?

Its all up to you :) guests, admins or all 

Can you add ticker only for yourself or it is a global one for everyone? 

No its global, any use case that you would want to add tickers that shows for you only? 

Can you add more then one tickers, how are they displayed, one below the other or the content is mixed? 

You can add as many tickers as you want, Its exactly same as the news ticker in my themes but with many more settings and fully controllable especially on the fly adding tickers and so on, Check the features list and plugin setting screenshots :) 

Lets say I am admin and I have preselected 10 tickers from RSS feeds. Can users decide which they want displayed and which hidden?

Sorry for the many questions, but I am just wrestling with trying to include RSS feeds in my forums, while at the same time prevent flooding of the activity stream with new rss entries :)

The RSS feed can be added by creating a Pages block RSS Import, you simply create an rss import block and set it up however you want including permissions and so on 

3 hours ago, mesteele101 said:

Will this work on 4.1.19.4?

Not tested, but technically it should work with any 4.x versions because it is just a theme hook ;) 

I will add a demo page soon :) 

Edited by TAMAN
7 hours ago, jair101 said:

Sorry for the many questions, but I am just wrestling with trying to include RSS feeds in my forums, while at the same time prevent flooding of the activity stream with new rss entries :)

I added a demo page here http://hellshammers.net/tit/index.php?/news-ticker/

The news ticker from this page shows a RSS feed from The New York Times website

http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Sports.xml

:)

Edited by TAMAN
5 minutes ago, mesteele101 said:

Ok, so how do you add an RSS feed to the Ticker?

Everything I enter prints out in the ticker.

You just need to create an rss import block in Pages app with a specific block key and content provided in the configuration tab :) 

Read the setting description it is super simple ;)

Edited by TAMAN
Just now, TAMAN said:

You just need to create an rss import block in Pages app with a specific block key and content provided in the configuration tab :) 

Read the setting description it is super simple

OK, so I don't have pages :( I Didn't see anything in the description that it required Pages?

5 minutes ago, mesteele101 said:

OK, so I don't have pages :( I Didn't see anything in the description that it required Pages?

I agree, i just added the info like 2 minutes ago, the settings for database and rss feed doesnt even show if you dont have pages app installed

So yea, the pages app is required to use the rss feed

Anyways, Not your fault :D If you want refund please send me a message i totally understand  

Edited by TAMAN
5 minutes ago, Volstate said:

Once I created the rss import block in pages how do I add it to the News ticker?

It will automatically be added in news ticker but dont forget the block template key, it must be same as what it is provided in the setting description 

also dont forget the block permissions :) 

3 minutes ago, Volstate said:

I'm not sure I understand.  When I click on edit to add a ticker the only one that shows up is plain text ticker.  How do I add the RSS import ticker...I don't see it as an option

You  need to create an RSS Import block in pages app 

just read the setting description provided in the configuration tab 

if you still cant do it send me a message i can help

Ok I see what you're saying now it feeds it directly into the news feed.  I was confused because it looks to me you can have multiple news tickers but if that's the way the RSS import feed works then I assume you can't have multiple different tickers?  Example....if I wanted to put a plain text ticker at the bottom of my forum while I'm running the RSS import ticker at the top?

4 minutes ago, Volstate said:

Ok I see what you're saying now it feeds it directly into the news feed.  I was confused because it looks to me you can have multiple news tickers but if that's the way the RSS import feed works then I assume you can't have multiple different tickers?  Example....if I wanted to put a plain text ticker at the bottom of my forum while I'm running the RSS import ticker at the top?

Oh you mean multiple news ticker bars? No its not possible at this time 

But, i might add news ticker widget on next update then you can add multople news ticker widgets on any pages by drag and drop block

no promises tho 

for now it is only one news ticker 

2 minutes ago, Volstate said:

Also changing the font color doesn't seem to work

I just double checked and it works fine

Do you use any of my themes? if so then please re-download the theme from marketplace and update because the news ticker css in my themes conflicts with the plugin news ticker css

For now it's fine.  I just changed the background color which is fine.  The default text color on my board is a dark blue and was very hard to see on that black.  I just lightened the background up so no worries...

One last question...this only supports 1 RSS feed and only 1 ticker correct?

4 minutes ago, Volstate said:

For now it's fine.  I just changed the background color which is fine.  The default text color on my board is a dark blue and was very hard to see on that black.  I just lightened the background up so no worries...

One last question...this only supports 1 RSS feed and only 1 ticker correct?

One news ticker 

but you can add multiple rss feed blocks and to show all in that news ticker ;) 

the block template key can be these key's

nt_pages_rss

nt_pages_rss1

nt_pages_rss2

nt_pages_rss3

Edited by TAMAN

Hi Taman, 

Thank you for the detailed answers to my questions, all clear now. As a suggestion, I think it will be great if users are able to filter the tickers. Lets say I add 5 tickers - new yourk times, forbes, autosport and so on. The user can select which news sources interest him and disable the others. Just an idea :)