Commerce - status of product

RPG-support

Out of Stock will show if the quantity hits 0, or you can manually enter 0 to show this. You can also just remove it from the store if it is not coming back.

"Sold" is really more for an auction or classifieds type script and this is a storefront. If you have one-offs you can do the above or add it to the description.

4 hours ago, Lindy said:

I'm not sure I'm understanding why you want to list products for sale that aren't for sale, could you please explain?

There are different products and you may want to show alredy sold products as the exampe. Also, if the stock level is 0 then it is currently shown in the Commerce as Out of stock. So, you are showing products which are not for sale also.

Regarding my situation, we are selling paintings and it is not bad for the artist representation to show pictures which are alredy sold. So, we have several statuses for the products which may be added more to the list: For sale, Sold, Reserved, Not for sale, Order artist's copy, Order portrait, etc.

I even created the expression of requirements for the local programmer how I want this to work in Commerce. It is not complicated and may be added to the product and it is not influencing other sections of Commerce. If you like I can translate it into English and send it to you with pictures. It is not very big.

4 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Im also a little lost here. You want to add a product to a commerce application to say someone cannot buy it? Its hard to see the scenario here, but Im sure you are asking for this for good reason, so feel free to give us more of an insight.

I have replied above. There are many situations when you may want to show products which were sold or not for sale as the original...

4 minutes ago, Marc S said:

to give us more of an insight.

May be I will not tell something new, but label Sold is the common thing in the most online shops. :)

4 hours ago, Lindy said:

I'm not sure I'm understanding why you want to list products for sale that aren't for sale, could you please explain?

We could probably find a use for this, Lindy and Marc, so I'll give you an example. We're an educational charity in a niche area. We want people to learn but not particularly take the financial risk of buying in low-demand stock. In our situation, we really wouldn't mind at all pointing people in the direction of one of our associates.

- Person is browsing our site
- We happen to include something which we think is extremely good but don't have in stock because for economic purposes it doesn't make sense. (Say, a $150 bound volume of the first Esperanto newsletter from 1889-1895. I have it and love it but there's obviously going to be such little demand that we'd shell out a fortune to have it sitting unsold.)
- We state in the product description that it's available from somewhere else with a link

Admittedly, we could probably do this anyway with the stock set to 0 but I like the idea of having a feature which pretty much indicates we're taking this approach deliberately rather than we just happen to have run out of stock and haven't bought any more in.

कृष्णा (can't tag), you could create a SOLD category in Commerce to showcase the sold paintings. This may be even better than having sold material mixed in with for sale material.

As far the statuses, they seem very unique to an artist gallery type store, but I'm sure a simple hook could work for you. There are a few people here who could do it for a fee. Maybe @Adriano Faria.

कृष्णा (can't tag), 

:p

33 minutes ago, chilihead said:

you could create a SOLD category in Commerce to showcase the sold paintings. This may be even better than having sold material mixed in with for sale material.

I think you should not advise things in which you do not have experience. For example, artist's paintings should be in one section in order not to confuse visitors. Like here.

1 hour ago, chilihead said:

As far the statuses, they seem very unique to an artist gallery type store, but I'm sure a simple hook could work for you. There are a few people here who could do it for a fee.

Thank you for your concern. Statuses may be added of any type you like. Like on the screenshot. So, it will be applicable for any store. Since IPS had declared its products not Forums based (as it was in 3.x.x and earlier) by dividing Core and Forum apart, it will be the good idea to develop the Commerce application in more advanced way. 

Pic 1.jpg

• Management

We can reconsider this in the future, but for now, I feel this is very niche functionality that would best be served by customizations as there's limited use cases for wanting to list things for sale that aren't actually for sale. I would peruse the stock = 0 functionality or seek out a custom modification.

I am not sure what you mean by very niche functionality and for what purpose the product feedback forum is if all suggestions are for some uncertain future. 

Amazon and Aliexpress do not use statuses like sold or reserved since they are big markets and intended for some stock products. But Commerce is rather for small shops since it does not have so much functionality as this big sites. Small shops are aften selling piece goods. So the stock system may be not applicable for them at all. I think that most buyers of your Commerce are owners of the small shops. So, which way are you going: big shop software or small shop software? It is not clear at all. All I can see is the attempt to create some kind of shop which is hardly usable in any of this cases.

Here are some examples of the sold status from the different shops:

real estate

real estate 2

real estate 3

real estate 4

fine art auction

fine art auction 2

gallery

And finally the example when the price is not 0 but the Sold out badge is visible (which is not possible in Commerce

Product-Page-640x385.png.6a7e83ebbc0de91

• Management

Things that only benefit a few (relative) clients are considered niche features and are best left for custom development. It's perfectly reasonable and I feel confident in saying most list things in their store that they are actually actively selling. For those that want to show past sales or items that will be sale, I would reiterate, you may set the stock level to 0 so the item can not actually be purchased. You may also change the language string to say whatever you'd like. 

If you're wanting to showcase things that aren't actually for sale, I might suggest the Gallery application or perusing Pages. Commerce really isn't intended to be a portfolio of items that aren't actually for sale and again, the use-case for such functionality is, in our opinion, very low. 

Just because something isn't planned doesn't mean it won't come up in the future. There's minimal need for this at this time, but market demand is ever changing and evolving so I wouldn't completely rule anything out for the distant future. 

Thanks for the feedback and sorry we can't accommodate the request currently.

Commerce really isn't intended to be a portfolio of items that aren't actually for sale and again, the use-case for such functionality is, in our opinion, very low. 

I am sorry, seams to be you are thinking that Commerce is something like Aliexpress or Amazon. But it is not. Thank you for your reply as always predictable. No need for me to left any feedback any more. It is clear that this will not change much.

Archived