Invision Going Downhill

AshieF73

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not getting it. Are you referencing the comic or something?

I'm not usually one to do this but... *facepalm*

Read it out loud. Think about what it sounds like. Also look at the post it links to, as it's a strong clue as well.

not onky have I heard of it, I use it multiple times a day. its really a liquid app, flows well when needed,

Well said. :lol:

Do have to be careful of possible 'tract' problems though.

Well I will chime in,

IPB needs to get back to the basics and focus on their forum software like they use to and not worry about facebook, twitter and all that other crap out there.

IPB use to look so professional and I have been using IPB for 10 years now, bought my first license in 2005, but was staff on other forums that used IPB beginning in 2002.

IPB's new PM system, forum moderation controls, quick reply to post, are above all others and yes I am a member on other sites using different forum software.

however trying to maintain and worrying more about their other media adaptions and affiliation IPB has lost their focus for their forum.

A couple of things that comes to mind and still a huge burr under my saddle is the topic profile card, wow it looks like a luxury car that has went through a chop shop, looks like a company just starting out and not sure of what to do.

This is IPB's old profile card, see how professional it use to look? Yes I removed the little goofy man icon and coded in the online status, but it is 100 times more professional looking than the hacked up thing we have with the new software where you have to install hooks to get it to look like it has not been butchered.

OLD IPB Topic Profile Card

gallery_1_94_16330.jpg

Another problem is you have a anyone with the ability to access the admincp, they can modify the default admin user group, that was never like that before and you have to use admin restrictions to block everyone from touching an admin account, when you have more than one Admin accounts that makes it too difficult.

Gallery permissions, moderators, and albums, you cannot set moderation and album privacy anymore, the new album developers need to study 2.2.3 and learn from their current mistakes with the new gallery.

Oh and about all other IPB apps, super mod automatically has default mod powers in any IPB apps, that should be dictated and assigned by the forum owner not the software.

There are more and I might post them up as well later on.

A couple of things that comes to mind and still a huge burr under my saddle is the topic profile card, wow it looks like a luxury car that has went through a chop shop, looks like a company just starting out and not sure of what to do.

This is IPB's old profile card, see how professional it use to look? Yes I removed the little goofy man icon and coded in the online status, but it is 100 times more professional looking than the hacked up thing we have with the new software where you have to install hooks to get it to look like it has not been butchered.

OLD IPB Topic Profile Card

gallery_1_94_16330.jpg

We have agree to disagree. I have no interest of knowing what member number the person posting is, when he has joined, what group he is in, etc, and if I have to, there is always member card available (hover over username) and the member's profile. What is the point of cluttering up the postbit with duplicate profile information?

We have agree to disagree. I have no interest of knowing what member number the person posting is, when he has joined, what group he is in, etc, and if I have to, there is always member card available (hover over username) and the member's profile. What is the point of cluttering up the postbit with duplicate profile information?

Why have scraps there?

Why should it look so plain, unorganized, and unprofessional?

Why should IPB look like a starting phase?

A simple post is longer than the profile card especially if the posting user has a signature, so why don't you care if it looks professional or not?

Why have scraps there?

Why should it look so plain, unorganized, and unprofessional?

Why should IPB look like a starting phase?

A simple post is longer than the profile card especially if the posting user has a signature, so why don't you care if it looks professional or not?

I dont understand what so unprofessional with the current look of the postbit... it looks clean, tidy and have focus on the post content.

Oh also, I didn't understand what you meant with your fourth sentence.

bfarber is quite correct.

When I first purchased webhosting back in 2004, I waited for a few months before I installed message forum software on my site. Back then, and bfarber can verify this, IPB 1.3 (final) was made available as a free "albeit" limited option through Fantastico. So, after looking at the choices between phpBB and IPB, I chose IPB as a spur of the moment thing and I have only used IPB because I have grown so used to it, and I hate change. :lol:

Back then, I think I ended up paying $69 for my initial license (a real bargain back then), after I discovered I had made an error and upgraded to version 2.0.0, which required a license. When I discovered this, I stuck up a conversation with Rikki who had told me that if I purchased a license that IPB would consider it water under the bridge. Since then, I have spent almost $500 since 2004 on license renewals and have stuck with the IPB forum software since then.

I'm actually happy with it. What offends me are topics like this one that are usually generated due to oversaturation of vBulletin forum software. While vBulletin is heavily saturated, it had been out a few years longer than IPB. Still, I have had no complaints about IPB, other than the removal of certain features which many of us have found useful.

I just find it quite humorous how these flame wars between the different forum software platforms start ... but, many of us are satisfied with the IPB forum software and with IPS for helping make it easily accessible. We're what you call "loyal fanatics" when it comes to IPB, at least until they start adding the cookie monster as an AI within the software. If the Cookie Monster ever appears, I'll switch over to another platform. :lol:

I dont understand what so unprofessional with the current look of the postbit... it looks clean, tidy and have focus on the post content.

Oh also, I didn't understand what you meant with your fourth sentence.

In the previous post you said: What is the point of cluttering up the postbit with duplicate profile information?

The space is there and if profile information is inserted in a professional looking manner like it use to be, there is no clutter and the average post with a signature takes up more room than a professional looking topic profile card anyway.

The profile card from my old software is 100 times more professional looking than what is default now,

There is no comparison from old to new, the old in this image below looks professional:

gallery_1_94_16330.jpg

This is new software and the topic profile card looks like crap:

gallery_1_94_17624.png

So you think that the amount of space used should be extended if the post isn't long enough? The user details on the left should really only give you basic information (OOB at least), so that your attention is on the main content. When I view a post, my primary interest is.. Who made it? When did they make it? Sometimes I want to know what member group they are. I do like to see a picture of some sort so I can usually know who it is by picture rather than name, though that too isn't really that important. Knowing how many posts they made isn't too important to me, though when viewing a forum post, I guess it's nice to have there. Only thing I wish IPS would put back as a default is the online/offline status. Other than that, I'm focused on the content. It took me time to get used to the idea of not seeing the member number but I got used to it and now it seems a tad pointless to worry about, other than knowing that the lower the number, the longer the person has been a member (most likely). Why do I need to see where they are from in every post? Why do I need to know their interests in every post? If it's a dating site, then I'm sure there will be better ways to learn about them so I can try to hook up. Otherwise I'll just view their profile and then nag them to put in more information if I want to know more. Otherwise, what difference does it make? I'm reading a topic for the content, period.

The way it is now, it's clean by default, but made so that you can clutter it up to the point that you need a visit from one of those 'hoarders' type shows. It's like a painter buying a blank canvas from IPS and then complaining that it's not already painted on.

And that is fine wolfie if you want your place to look like crap then have at it and if you like to have nothing there then so be it, but when a client is use to see professionalism for over 10 years and the new software appearance looks like it went through a chop shop then you don't like seeing it and wondering who is in control now and what are then thinking?

Clean by default oh BS is it not clean it is stripped, XXX posts, how is that clean, it looks retarded.

and the xx posts is not even written correctly, at least have some insight to fix what dribble is on there by default.

And that is fine wolfie if you want your place to look like crap then have at it and if you like to have nothing there then so be it, but when a client is use to see professionalism for over 10 years and the new software appearance looks like it went through a chop shop then you don't like seeing it and wondering who is in control now and what are then thinking?

Clean by default oh BS is it not clean it is stripped, XXX posts, how is that clean, it looks retarded.

and the xx posts is not even written correctly, at least have some insight to fix what dribble is on there by default.

Cluttered != Professional.

When you go to an office building, do you see tons of tables and chairs with magazines and coats tossed on them, so that to get to the elevators, you have to walk through a maze of clutter? No, you see a few discreet areas where people can sit, with a few modest tables, perhaps a few magazines as reading material, but otherwise the place is open and clear. Those discreet areas are to provide some comfort, for those wishing to have somewhat private discussions but also as a 'waiting room' area. The rest of the place is open and clear because it present a clean and uncluttered appearance, which is professional.

I don't get why you are under the impression that cluttered == professional. Just because the chop shop you go to looks like a hoarders dream-come-true, it doesn't mean that it's a professional appearance.

And what are you babbling about with the 'xx posts is not even written correctly'? With all due respect dude, your concept of 'retarded' is bass-ackwards.

Retarded, look who is talking now have you read your long posts not making a substantial argument sucking ass to IPB??

Apparently you have never worked for a professional company such as myself or you would have not seen the papers and clutter are not all over the place like you metioned

your chop shop, hoarders, thinking are all the same, a cluster.

xxx posts should be Posts: xxx

and it is very obvious you have no concept between cluttered and professional.

Retarded, look who is talking now have you read your long posts not making a substantial argument sucking ass to IPB??

Retarded is the one who lacks professionalism in making a point. Take all the time you need to try to figure that out.

Apparently you have never worked for a professional company such as myself or you would have not seen the papers and clutter are not all over the place like you metioned

your chop shop, hoarders, thinking are all the same, a cluster.

Your powers of deduction and assumption leave much to be desired. Your ability to properly comprehend what was said is also at an obvious loss.

xxx posts should be Posts: xxx

That's your opinion, not a fact.

and it is very obvious you have no concept between cluttered and professional.

There is something indeed very obvious, but I assure you, it's not what you are claiming. I know cluttered and I know professional. I also know the difference between the two.

Keep on going, you are providing amusement for those who know better.

<rant>

You can customize your forums template and add as much clutter as you like. It's not hard.

Better yet, you can make a hook for it.

If you want to talk about professionalism, please try acting like a professional yourself in this topic.

Back then, I think I ended up paying $69 for my initial license (a real bargain back then), after I discovered I had made an error and upgraded to version 2.0.0, which required a license. When I discovered this, I stuck up a conversation with Rikki who had told me that if I purchased a license that IPB would consider it water under the bridge. Since then, I have spent almost $500 since 2004 on license renewals and have stuck with the IPB forum software since then.

The first license I paid for, I paid $40 for it. IPS was doing a sale on the standard license at the time (normally like $69 or whatever) and I wanted to be able to continue using the IPB2 series. I managed to come up with some money and bought a used Lifetime license (which I still have) at a rather decent deal. Haven't submitted too many tickets with it, mainly because I tend to deal with my own support issues. So in a way, the Lifetime license just permits me unlimited access to IPB updates, with ticket support on it if it's ever really needed. Although right now, I have it 'retired' and am keeping it as a souvenir.. I even have it labeled as "My precious" :lol:

I'm actually happy with it. What offends me are topics like this one that are usually generated due to oversaturation of vBulletin forum software. While vBulletin is heavily saturated, it had been out a few years longer than IPB. Still, I have had no complaints about IPB, other than the removal of certain features which many of us have found useful.

IPB, as I have said many times, is a professional grade product. It's like a difference between a business product and a kids imitation of the same product. Those "easy bake ovens" for kids to play with, vs an industrial strength oven that real businesses use.

IPS products - industrial oven

vB - easy bake oven

You get use to the power, stability, durability and reliability, then you realize that those 'toys' aren't worth the effort.

Retarded is the one who lacks professionalism in making a point. Take all the time you need to try to figure that out.

Your powers of deduction and assumption leave much to be desired. Your ability to properly comprehend what was said is also at an obvious loss.

That's your opinion, not a fact.

There is something indeed very obvious, but I assure you, it's not what you are claiming. I know cluttered and I know professional. I also know the difference between the two.

Keep on going, you are providing amusement for those who know better.

Amusement you are the one providing amusement, folks here have seen what you have posted then turned right around acting like something you are not trying to be the devil's advocate.

You are a drama queen and most of the topics you are in you attempt to bring drama, if you do not like my input or opinion shut up and post your opinion and leave other clients alone.

I would strongly urge you to stop all your attempts in irritating me trying to make me look like the bad guy.

Amusement you are the one providing amusement, folks here have seen what you have posted then turned right around acting like something you are not trying to be the devil's advocate.

You are a drama queen and most of the topics you are in you attempt to bring drama, if you do not like my input or opinion shut up and post your opinion and leave other clients alone.

I would strongly urge you to stop all your attempts in irritating me trying to make me look like the bad guy.

I'm not trying to make you look like anything, that's all your doing. If I were trying to be the devil's advocate, I would actually be agreeing with you. You do realize that being a devil's advocate means to take a side that you don't agree with, right? I sincerely like the clean and professional look, versus the cluttered look you so desperately want to be the default. If you don't like my responding to what you say, then either stop saying things or put me on ignore. Either way works. I'm not telling you to 'shut up', just mentioning it as an option. Also, it would appear that there is a drama queen here, just it's not me.

I have to admit that the attached profile card to each post does look like crap. Prior to IPB 3, the profile card used to be better organized. It's one of the biggest complaints that I have with the IPB 3 series. It would be nice if the profile card were better aligned, instead of just centering everything that appears in that mini profile.

I'm not trying to make you look like anything, that's all your doing. If I were trying to be the devil's advocate, I would actually be agreeing with you. You do realize that being a devil's advocate means to take a side that you don't agree with, right? I sincerely like the clean and professional look, versus the cluttered look you so desperately want to be the default. If you don't like my responding to what you say, then either stop saying things or put me on ignore. Either way works. I'm not telling you to 'shut up', just mentioning it as an option. Also, it would appear that there is a drama queen here, just it's not me.

No you are the drama queen you come here and constantly telling people their opinions are no good, this way is the best etc, this is the second time you have came after my opinions in less than a month being against and talking down my opinion on the direction IPB software needs to revert back to, you are running out of chances wolfie with me, if I need a little puppet following me around talking faeces, I know which dog to kick and get them involved if I need to.

I am sure there are many more people that feel the same way, maybe some have told you, maybe some have not, but you are dealing with one that will tell you and I am telling you now you better back off.

My problem with IPS Support ..and I can say quite honestly...after wanting to update my software to current release ...and was reading that would take I think 5 days maybe....

I put my Ticket in....and planning a holiday to Laos for a week...and it would be ready for me when I got back....was..

Within 2 hours I was updated and they did more than I asked for...

What Gives..

I wasn't ready yet :unsure: :hyper:

My problem with IPS Support ..and I can say quite honestly...after wanting to update my software to current release ...and was reading that would take I think 5 days maybe....

I put my Ticket in....and planning a holiday to Laos for a week...and it would be ready for me when I got back....was..

Within 2 hours I was updated and they did more than I asked for...

What Gives..

I wasn't ready yet :unsure: :hyper:

Totally...LOL. I've been driving them nuts with doing tiny point release updates for me rather then doing them myself because I'm a scaredy cat but each time I was fearing a 5 day wait and it was just about instantly taken care of along with my annoying support requests following. They have great support here... no doubt about it. If they can go the extra mile they are usually willing to do anything they can to help within reason as well from my experience.

But again... ** wishing they would come to their senses on the importance of a branded iPhone and Droid app :p **

Archived