Invision Going Downhill

AshieF73

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

The only competition IPS has is with IPS..

Working with the 3.4 x on one hand and 4.0 in another...

OK you say 2 different sets of developers... There is you competition... :thumbsup:

Funny you say that. You would be surprised how much internal effort has been put into properly organizing how to develop 4.0 before we ever wrote a single line of 4.0 code.

Funny you say that. You would be surprised how much internal effort has been put into properly organizing how to develop 4.0 before we ever wrote a single line of 4.0 code.

Internal competition has always been a healthy experience.. It is a motivation and momentum builder, stronger checks and balance and not to mention moral.

It also creates the dialog of the do's and don't s between of past versions and issues.

Then there is the esteem on both sides knowing they have equally participated.

In the end the user sees 2 very well thought out systems not seeing what it took to get there.

This is a typical Military strategy... Keeps you informed, on your toes and alive...

I have been with Invision since Ikonboard

Thumbs up for IPS tech support

I love the service and help but you have to remember that 50% at least of the fault of being hacked is on the shoulders of your Host and or you or the admin who has used improper chmods or bad perl scripts. You need a host with good backups and pro active detections as well as up to date php, good logs etc...

About Invision I can only say really good things about their level of professionalism and speediness of support.

I love the service and help but you have to remember that 50% at least of the fault of being hacked is on the shoulders of your Host and or you or the admin who has used improper chmods or bad perl scripts. You need a host with good backups and pro active detections as well as up to date php, good logs etc...

I would say it falls more onto the server and access than it does on the IPS software. After all, if the server has a security exploit available on it that a hacker uses to obtain access to infect the files, then how is that the fault of the software? If someones computer has been compromised and that is used to gain FTP/ACP access, how is that the fault of the software? It's one thing if someone manipulates an IPS product to gain unauthorized access, but just because an IPS product gets affected, doesn't mean that it's the cause. Some people can't seem to understand that.

What can I say, I like my forums but still want time to play with my toys :smile:

Another forward thinker...

Looking at life's positive notes of "Taking Care of Business" When it happens as it happens....

Then wishes to blog his findings to help those in the same boat.

How despicable, how ridiculous.

What can I say, I like my forums but still want time to play with my toys :smile:

Yeah Free time is nice!!!!
But then again if anyone here has any form of right to complain It's ME...
Nothing to do with IPS at all...
Its Called the wife's Honey Do List... Just like the Energizer Bunny It just keeps growing and growing and....

*** EDIT***
And it JUST Got Bigger!!!!

Its Called the wife's Honey Do List... Just like the Energizer Bunny It just keeps growing and growing and....

It's that it keeps 'going and going and going...' not growing. :P So it would be that when it comes to adding to the list, she's like the Energizer Bunny, she keeps 'going and going and going...'

And it JUST Got Bigger!!!!

If it lasts for more than four hours, brag to your friends and then call your doctor.

It's that it keeps 'going and going and going...' not growing. :tongue: So it would be that when it comes to adding to the list, she's like the Energizer Bunny, she keeps 'going and going and going...'

If it lasts for more than four hours, brag to your friends and then call your doctor.

Why call the Doctor? Its better than...... Never mind! Got to keep it at least PG-13.... :mad:

Well we are entitled to our opinions, and I have shared mine. I feel the level of service offered, in terms of both speed of service, and the level of 'assistance' they offer without the usual 'not supported we cant help you' is singitifcally worse now than a few years ago.

But I have a choice, I will simply yake my business elsewhere, and whilst I am not naive enough to think anyone will care at IPB (judging by the way they dumped us off the old hosting package) at least I know I can put my little bit of money into a company that might value my customer a little bit more.

Well we are entitled to our opinions, and I have shared mine. I feel the level of service offered, in terms of both speed of service, and the level of 'assistance' they offer without the usual 'not supported we cant help you' is singitifcally worse now than a few years ago.

But I have a choice, I will simply yake my business elsewhere, and whilst I am not naive enough to think anyone will care at IPB (judging by the way they dumped us off the old hosting package) at least I know I can put my little bit of money into a company that might value my customer a little bit more.

If you feel the support you are receiving is not what you would expect, please ask for said ticket to be escalated to a member of Management for their attention.

Good luck finding another forum software developer offering better service than Invision.

I did add the security patch back in December when it was released, but looking on the forums it is clear this was a much bigger issue that IPB seem to have been reporting. Also, the patch was no good if the website had already been breached.

Surely that little fact should have been emailed to all customer, or made clearly visible within the ACP. All I saw in the ACP was a warning to instal the patch.

I accept there will always be security flaws, but what I don't accept is the lack of pro-active notification about this recent one, and the lack of help from support today. It's not just this issue. its culmative over various issues from hosting, to support which is why I feel the company has gone downhill over the lasy 3 or 4 years.

Okay so let me make sure I understand you on all of this...

1. You think the patch is useless/worthless if it doesn't act as a virus removal tool, even though that isn't what the product/patch is for? Am I correct on that? From your mention of the patch being no good if the site has already been 'breached', it sounds like I am.

2. Even though IPS provides a few forms of notifications (you can subscribe to the news&announcements forum, sign up to be on a mailing listed and also heed any red warnings shown in the ACP instead of twiddling your thumbs), you think they're not doing enough? No offense but it sounds like you want them to put everything aside and personally hunt you down like you're a wanted criminal just so they can hand deliver pamphlet that tells you what's going on and to stand there at your beck and call to answer any additional questions you may have. I get email notifications and I see the red warning boxes in the ACP and I don't just look at it and think, "Oh it must not be important since they haven't called me up personally..."

3. You expect them to provide support that doesn't fit within the SLA? What company actively does? You might come across some who will go an extra step to try to assist you but to think it's owed to you or that the support is lacking because they won't do it is unreasonable. If you don't draw the line at the SLA, then where do you? "My car won't start, it's got gas, new battery and was working fine a half hour ago. What should I try now?" Oh wait they won't support that? How dare they refuse support for that issue! "Oh no, I lost my cPanel password on (some company that isn't IPS)" Who should I contact for assistance? My hosting company? No no, why would I go to them even though they could easily reset my password for me. Oh yes I know, I'll contact IPS support even though they don't have any ability to recover or reset the password for me! Yeah that makes a whole lot of sense.

4. Old hosting package? Do you mean when (a year or so ago I think?) they were in the process of upgrading their servers and had to make the tough decision of progressing forward with what they will support, instead of continuing to support technology that was available a decade ago and has all but ceased in use nowadays? You mean their decision to provide a more secure and efficient environment for clients as a whole, rather than putting them all at risk for the sake of a few who didn't want to deal with the hassle of switching to another company to continue their insecure endeavors? Show me one hosting company that hasn't progressed to PHP5 and I'll show you a hosting company begging to fail.

I guess I'm just having trouble understanding what it is you expect from IPS. Maybe I'm reading too much into what you say, but it sounds like you want them and their efforts to be a catch-all for everything in life... Software that provides anti-virus support (even though there are already products to do that and it would fall on the hosting company to provide), extreme attempts of contacting you despite various forms of contact already being made, support for stuff that they shouldn't support, providing legacy services until the end of time... So have I misunderstood something? Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. If you could explain it in a different way, then maybe I (and others) would agree with you on things.

As far as ticket support is concerned, as AndyF said, if there's an individual ticket (or even a few cases) where you feel you were given proper support, then contact management. If one of the staff hasn't been providing you with the quality they should, then it will give management a chance to talk to them. Could be that tech doesn't know they aren't providing quality support. How can they know if no one says anything?

Even if support fixed the issue in 1 reply with-in 5 minutes every time...

There would still be complaints. You can never win because customers keep raising there expectation bar, unknowingly. So one day when they provide service just under that bar, it's a horrific crime against mankind and we must boycott all their products. Then the grass looks greener on the other side.

*they switch*

*situation repeats*

The only thing that changes this is how understanding/patient/in-love you are.

There would still be complaints. You can never win because customers keep raising there expectation bar, unknowingly. So one day when they provide service just under that bar, it's a horrific crime against mankind and we must boycott all their products. Then the grass looks greener on the other side.

In life, we all tend to forget how tedious or difficult something was once we get used to things being easier. For example, people are so used to cell phones nowadays that it's hard to remember life without them. I bet if half the people that complain were to go 6 months with another company (including using ticket support), they would come back rather quick, appreciating the support that they had started to take for granted. Take away their cell phone (great support) and they'll realize just how accustomed they had become to it.

Is it me or do these anti-"IPB" and anti-"Invision" topics seem to be growing by osmosis? If I didn't know better, I would swear that vBulletin and XenForo are hiring people to post these topics. IPS really needs to stop these topics because its denigrating to their reputation. When I come to the support forums, these kind of topics are very negative and a major turn-off for me. It's why I rarely use the support forums and stick solely to the Client Center.

We simply need to stop feeding these topics and anti-IPB trolls.

Is it me or do these anti-"IPB" and anti-"Invision" topics seem to be growing by osmosis? If I didn't know better, I would swear that vBulletin and XenForo are hiring people to post these topics. IPS really needs to stop these topics because its denigrating to their reputation. When I come to the support forums, these kind of topics are very negative and a major turn-off for me. It's why I rarely use the support forums and stick solely to the Client Center.

We simply need to stop feeding these topics and anti-IPB trolls.

The forum is 'company feedback' not 'company worshiping', so feedback that is good or bad is accepted. Besides, if someone reads the topic and a few of the replies, they see the overwhelming support for the company and realize two things. First, that there will always be some people who always complain but in this case a majority of people are rather pleased with the company. Second, that the company is confident enough in it's reputation to not try to hide such topics from view, as well as willing to let people voice their true feelings, which in turn reflects rather positively on the company. You show me a company where there are no topics on their forums that express a negative view about that company and I'll show you a forum that would make Hilter say, "Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn!"

Archived