Invision Going Downhill

AshieF73

It is when the forum software is not working to expectations (like when you set a permission group to see a forum but it can not see said forum; which is what we are facing with all of our permission groups.

Josh in all seriousness how is this an IPS Responsibility?

How are they supposed to know which groups need which permissions?

That would be the same If IPS came to you and said... Hey Josh Ah... We don't have the time for this but we want you to access our ACP and reconfigure all our permission setting because we don't have the time.

Or maybe the lack of experience to do this for us...

You know.. I am an admin on a board where I refuse anymore wasting my time fixing it and the blunders made in the ACP by an owner who can't leave it alone...

The responsibility lies either on you or the person you put in charge as I stated earlier. Not the shoulders of the IPS Staff...

Come on When does Wishful Thinking Stop and Reality Start?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to hijack this thread but I agree with the OP; granted I have looked at alternitives and would rather stay with IPS. The support services I have gotten as of late have gone very far down hill since the point when I ran four forums and filed tickets on a daily basis. Back then I got responses in like five minutes; now there is no phone support that I can call. I have to file a ticket just to get Mark to call me and then it takes like 4 - 8 hours to get that call. When before I was able to talk to a person AND when the phone support was eliminated I still got call requests answered in like 2 hours. Lets move on to ticket support though; as I mentioned I use to get five minute reponses when I was filing tickets EVERY DAY. Now that my company no longer manages forums and only has ONE (our main corporate forum; which is hosted by IPS using a business license) and I file a ticket every like month or two depending on what its going on. It takes 6 - 8 hours to get a response if not longer and that is ONLY becuase I have a business license. Now to get anything actually done it takes 12 - 24 or so hours when before Jason would just do it for me; the level of service for the money people pay has gone down hill. I even ask IPS's techs to help me change my companies forum permissions (becuase they are utterly broken right now) and I just get a response saying when you have done it and if you ahve problems tell us; I dont have the time to change 100 forums by hand. Isn't that what I pay you guys 50 dollars every six months and 10 dollars a month to do when I only file a ticket every like month... Consider that your making 25 dollars or so per ticket if you calculate it out.

(Forgive my spelling; I am on a work site and dont have time to check my work but saw this thread and figured I would make this known since everyone seesms to be attacking the OP; while security issues are his problem becuase its his server that is compramised it does not mean that his entire point is invalidated; IPS support has gone down hill)

I charge at minimum $40 an hour. Perspective is a wonderful thing.

You are getting a steal of a deal(as realistically every IPS client is), and they are well within the SLA(and Business License Agreement) support times..... and that is simply not something anyone can do for you, do you have a chart of how it *should* be configured by chance? How is anyone supposed to do that without one, and how can you expect technical support to do that?

I charge at minimum $40 an hour. Perspective is a wonderful thing.

You are getting a steal of a deal(as realistically every IPS client is), and they are well within the SLA(and Business License Agreement) support times..... and that is simply not something anyone can do for you, do you have a chart of how it *should* be configured by chance? How is anyone supposed to do that without one, and how can you expect technical support to do that?

This sounds like a reasonable offer...

Here is your start Josh and all others who can't find the time...

I just happened to look at my tech support ticket slips and noticed a rare oddity of what most seem to be having a problem with. Charles, Lindy, Brandon or any other staff member with permissions are welcome to look over.

I have been a member since Nov, 2005

in just a few months over 7 years I put in 11 tickets

Out of the 11 tickets they were all taken care of in a timely manner

Out of the 11 3 were my error where they caught what I missed over and over then even left me with a professional explanation.

Out of the 11 7 were rectified in a very short time (Looking a the time frame way under the agreed time) Under 12 hours OK not to agitate but under 6...

Out of the 11 1 I caught After I sent the ticket and it was an IE 10 issue. Unlike the majority I hate Fire Fox with a passion but I installed it anyway. I should have installed it first before I needed to go back in and check the ticket resolved.

What's my point?

My point is I am Cough cough I am Humaa

I am Humaaa

I am Human too! Sometimes I don't see it all... Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to discover

Sometimes I need to walk away and come back with a fresh set of eyes.

Maybe had I done that... Maybe at sometime there would have been only 7 tickets instead of 11 at some time...

Charles, Lindy Brandon and IPS Staff

Sometime Someday I am going to have to Thank You!

I've gotten a few emails about patches.
I get the notices in ACP.
I see the warnings here in this forum.
what more do people want?

Text messaging, postings on their Facebook timeline, telephone calls, someone to stalk the client down to make sure they are fully informed, other beyond-reasonable expectations. (Well, the text messaging might be somewhat realistic, but everything else, talk about going overboard..)

I know for a fact I am not a privilege client but I get notices all the time... And have been for as long as I have been with IPS..

Follow the news&announcements forum and always be notified. Not sure how much easier it can be than that.

Nah, you should have replied before it was sent in. Shame on you! :sad:

I should offer a hand holding service.

These two posts are good examples of the way to handle life. Don't get all worked up, just relax, be kind and watch how a lot of people try to go an extra mile for you.

Now to get anything actually done it takes 12 - 24 or so hours when before Jason would just do it for me; the level of service for the money people pay has gone down hill. I even ask IPS's techs to help me change my companies forum permissions (becuase they are utterly broken right now) and I just get a response saying when you have done it and if you ahve problems tell us; I dont have the time to change 100 forums by hand. Isn't that what I pay you guys 50 dollars every six months and 10 dollars a month to do when I only file a ticket every like month... Consider that your making 25 dollars or so per ticket if you calculate it out.

In regards to Jason, he's a cool guy (I've talked to him on IM before). But as I recall, he went outside the lines of support, doing things he wasn't supposed to do. Yeah from your perspective it's great, but if someone else handles a ticket and follows the rules, then for you to say the support has declined is wrong. Support is still the same, just you're expecting things that aren't promised. It's like order pizza for delivery and you're out of the area but a manager 'hooks you up' anyway so you can get the delivery. Then after a few times, you call and a different manager is there and tells you that you're out of the area and so they won't deliver to you. Did their service change or were you just spoiled because someone was bending the rules to help you out when they weren't supposed to?

As for your permissions issue. When you say broken, do you mean the software is failing, or that you are changing the permissions and wanted IPS to do the work for you? If it's the software failing then I can understand wanting it fixed for you. But if it's just a case of wanting the permissions adjusted/updated for you according to your liking, then that's a part of the labor that you have to do on your own. If you'd like me to do it, then pay me $1/forum (or $40/hour whichever is greater) and I'll do it for you. If it's a simple structure just not wanting to do the tedious work then I'd definitely be happy to do it for you. A few SQL queries and I could be done in under 15 minutes. $100 for 15mins work, sounds good to me. If that sounds too much for you, then to put it bluntly, tough luck. There are ways to ease the pain but the reality is, it's still part of being an admin, live with it.

I have been a member since Nov, 2005
in just a few months over 7 years I put in 11 tickets
Out of the 11 tickets they were all taken care of in a timely manner
Out of the 11 3 were my error where they caught what I missed over and over then even left me with a professional explanation.
Out of the 11 7 were rectified in a very short time (Looking a the time frame way under the agreed time) Under 12 hours OK not to agitate but under 6...
Out of the 11 1 I caught After I sent the ticket and it was an IE 10 issue. Unlike the majority I hate Fire Fox with a passion but I installed it anyway. I should have installed it first before I needed to go back in and check the ticket resolved.

So what you're saying is.. that.. you got prompt courteous service? OMG, that's unheard of! :o

Text messaging, postings on their Facebook timeline, telephone calls, someone to stalk the client down to make sure they are fully informed, other beyond-reasonable expectations. (Well, the text messaging might be somewhat realistic, but everything else, talk about going overboard..)

Follow the news&announcements forum and always be notified. Not sure how much easier it can be than that.

These two posts are good examples of the way to handle life. Don't get all worked up, just relax, be kind and watch how a lot of people try to go an extra mile for you.

In regards to Jason, he's a cool guy (I've talked to him on IM before). But as I recall, he went outside the lines of support, doing things he wasn't supposed to do. Yeah from your perspective it's great, but if someone else handles a ticket and follows the rules, then for you to say the support has declined is wrong. Support is still the same, just you're expecting things that aren't promised. It's like order pizza for delivery and you're out of the area but a manager 'hooks you up' anyway so you can get the delivery. Then after a few times, you call and a different manager is there and tells you that you're out of the area and so they won't deliver to you. Did their service change or were you just spoiled because someone was bending the rules to help you out when they weren't supposed to?

As for your permissions issue. When you say broken, do you mean the software is failing, or that you are changing the permissions and wanted IPS to do the work for you? If it's the software failing then I can understand wanting it fixed for you. But if it's just a case of wanting the permissions adjusted/updated for you according to your liking, then that's a part of the labor that you have to do on your own. If you'd like me to do it, then pay me $1/forum (or $40/hour whichever is greater) and I'll do it for you. If it's a simple structure just not wanting to do the tedious work then I'd definitely be happy to do it for you. A few SQL queries and I could be done in under 15 minutes. $100 for 15mins work, sounds good to me. If that sounds too much for you, then to put it bluntly, tough luck. There are ways to ease the pain but the reality is, it's still part of being an admin, live with it.

*cough* My recent problem was due to a system setting on the IPS Hosting side. If I just wanted the permissions set I could ask any one of my contractors to do that for less than I pay IPS. Though now that I look at it Charles is right; I guess I was just overly annoyed that the issue was not found sooner (As if the technicians were assuming I did not know what I was doing). Becuase we have over 200 forums and max_vars is set to 1000 200 * 5... yeah... it was cutting off. So far as response times I guess I should use my own companies SLA as a guide... We give clients a 12 hour response SLA... From that prospective going from response to response... Yeah.

We give clients a 12 hour response SLA... From that prospective going from response to response... Yeah.

You should check your 'Services' page. The links on that page lead to 'contact.html' but that loads the 'about' page, instead of 'Contact.html'. :tongue:

If Invision is going downhill, vBulletin beat them to it. ;) I think IPS is good, but there's still attainable room for improvement.

And you won't find 1 disagreement here... There is always room for growth that is the whole purpose of the feedback Arenas.
If Charles, Matt, Lindy didn't want the constructive input there wouldn't be this particular forum and we would not be having this conversation...

Damn it Lindy You beat me to it!!!!!!

Yeah Wolfie go ahead and laugh someday you will be old and slower too!

Damn kids anyway no respect for us old farts.
Don't give us the right of way and pass on the right...
Damn Speed Demon kids these days...

Damn now my keyboard is running out of ink the characters are getting lighter...
Damn Kids!

IPB is a different animal compared to other community platforms, but believe they have been very supportive. My problem has been finding the right strategy for user adoption of IPB.

I run a infrastructure design/config derived from years of paranoid thinking :ph34r: It is restrictive enough that both IPB and myself have been delayed on trouble resolution to a few past tickets. It's a challenge sometimes, but allows me to concentrate on my normal life.

You have to plan for the unexpected and test the recovery strategy. I've lost several of my sites many times over, meaning they were unrecoverable due to either infrastructure failure or security breach, but the end-user impact has been no more than possibly a few hours worth of missing posts. When a unrecoverable event occurs, I note what is possible, bring the site (or server) back from a backup, and address what I found afterward.

I'm planning to put up a few of my strategies on my blog soon, but are all simple to implement.

IPB is a different animal compared to other community platforms, but believe they have been very supportive. My problem has been finding the right strategy for user adoption of IPB.

I run a infrastructure design/config derived from years of paranoid thinking :ph34r: It is restrictive enough that both IPB and myself have been delayed on trouble resolution to a few past tickets. It's a challenge sometimes, but allows me to concentrate on my normal life.

You have to plan for the unexpected and test the recovery strategy. I've lost several of my sites many times over, meaning they were unrecoverable due to either infrastructure failure or security breach, but the end-user impact has been no more than possibly a few hours worth of missing posts. When a unrecoverable event occurs, I note what is possible, bring the site (or server) back from a backup, and address what I found afterward.

I'm planning to put up a few of my strategies on my blog soon, but are all simple to implement.

Another forward thinker...

Looking at life's positive notes of "Taking Care of Business" When it happens as it happens....

Then wishes to blog his findings to help those in the same boat.

How despicable, how ridiculous.

Now that the fun is over ribbing you

My real thoughts go more on these lines

Thoughtful,

positive input,

hands on,

Won't be beat,

and core

BTW Been there Done that. Sever melt downs, Hacks, People wh have no business wasting air.... and on and on.......

And yes IPB is different Animal... Compares something like a Lion to a monkey....

Archived