IPB3 Beta 4

Lee Craven

I run several dedicated servers, and they are not overly "tweaked". I run cPanel 11, Apache 2.2, MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.2. It's all stock. I do realise that beta software DOES have bugs, but not as many major bugs as this 4th beta. Just taking a quick surf around my board and it's admin panel before I removed it and replaced with other forum software, I came across probably 6 bugs that made it very hard to use the software to test it properly. I actually alpha and beta test for Mozilla, and I love their versioning and development system. Very fluid. Very constant. No suddenly adding things in the middle of the beta phase to break features. About the biggest thing they have done was change the version from 3.1 to 3.5 because of the sheer volume of improvements being added. There are zero major bugs, no features being added, and only a few minor issues. But, then again, I guess the Mozilla Foundation are a professional company with proper dev steps.

P.S. The edit button doesn't work properly in Firefox 3.1 beta 3 (to be 3.5 beta 4) using version 1.9.1 Gecko engine, and Firefox 3.6 pre alpha 1 (formerly Firefox 3.2a1pre) using the new version 1.9.2 Gecko rendering engine.

I use FF 3.0.7 and have no issues what so ever, so that probably why, you have a beta build, or a different version than me, so I do not see the bugs you do. Either way, I hope you get it all figured out, I'm sorry it's not working out as everyone would wish, and I think IPB are trying to cover so many different aspects for so many different types of users, to make it somewhat an even 'requested' features release come RC.

Again, I could be wrong, just my opinion.

• Management

Isn't a little premature to dump all your past purchases on the strength of a beta release of a future version not working with cutting edge alpha / beta versions of web browsers?

The current version (2.3.6) is very stable and that's the supported version. We know that IP.Board 3.0.0 Beta has issues; that's the very reason we ask you to test it. We would not ask you to test it if you were going to make a decision whether to continue using IPS products on the strength of it.

Now, does the edit button work for you in FF 3.0.7? Forget 3.1 Beta 3.5 beta, etc - just use the current stable FF release and let us know. If it does not, then file a bug report. That's all we ask.

Lee, Sunrise was telling you that the option to include the full reply in a topic subscription notification has been in IP.Board for years, since 2.1 if I remember correctly. This feature is also in IP.Board 3.0.0 so there is no need for a mod, etc.

And as usual, I over read things hurrying through the posts as I always do, thanks for confirming that, another option I have overlooked over the years, would be nice for it to be on by default though, but that's my personal preference. Still not complaining though, I've always been happy with the software.

I think a major Relesse like IPB 3.0 should be in error judged differently than a point release. It speaks for IPS, the courage that they had such a big change from daring. There are other companies that are afraid of such steps and do not represent the future. I am sure that IPB 3.0 Final good stability will be.

[quote name='Lee Craven' date='23 March 2009 - 04:42 AM' timestamp='1237797774' post='1791966']
And as usual, I over read things hurrying through the posts as I always do, thanks for confirming that, another option I have overlooked over the years, would be nice for it to be on by default though, but that's my personal preference. Still not complaining though, I've always been happy with the software.

Apology accepted!

[quote name='OneSoapBubble' date='18 March 2009 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1237399619' post='1791242']
In addition to Text Input, Text Area & Drop Down Box, will the IPB3 custom profile fields provide Checkboxes for multiple choices?
I would appreciate that feature, Thanks :)
Well, since I got no answer, one more try : Checkboxes available or not in IPB3 custom profile fields? :ermm:

[quote name='Matt' date='23 March 2009 - 06:37 PM' timestamp='1237797448' post='1791965']
Isn't a little premature to dump all your past purchases on the strength of a beta release of a future version not working with cutting edge alpha / beta versions of web browsers?

The current version (2.3.6) is very stable and that's the supported version. We know that IP.Board 3.0.0 Beta has issues; that's the very reason we ask you to test it. We would not ask you to test it if you were going to make a decision whether to continue using IPS products on the strength of it.

Now, does the edit button work for you in FF 3.0.7? Forget 3.1 Beta 3.5 beta, etc - just use the current stable FF release and let us know. If it does not, then file a bug report. That's all we ask.

Lee, Sunrise was telling you that the option to include the full reply in a topic subscription notification has been in IP.Board for years, since 2.1 if I remember correctly. This feature is also in IP.Board 3.0.0 so there is no need for a mod, etc.

Firefox 3.5 will be gold in a few months, but I guess that doesn't count in regards to compatibility. I pressumed to make a good gold version you'd encourage people to use cutting edge and try and "break" the software to enhance stability. Many other developers do. My mistake.

[quote name='Matt' date='23 March 2009 - 11:36 PM' timestamp='1237815361' post='1791988']
I chose not to comment on the comparison between us and Mozilla because it's like comparing apples to fish.

I wasn't comparing the PRODUCT, just how you continue to develop during what is meant to be a beta phase, which is extremely frustrating. No need to get defensive.

And it's my choice AS A CUSTOMER to continue to use a product or not use it.

I will admit I was extremely frustrated and tired at the time, and was a little rash in saying that, but I no longer think that. But I was justified in my little hissy fit. I've just never heard of new features being added to a 4th beta.

• Management

I am using FF 3.1 beta 3 and I can reproduce the edit bug, so I'll file a bug which was all that was needed in the first place. It seems that the ajax function isn't being fired for some reason. As we use prototype heavily, I'll check there first as there may be a bug with Prototype or change required.

[quote name='Stallyon' date='23 March 2009 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1237824106' post='1792016'] I've just never heard of new features being added to a 4th beta.

what major features have been added in the beta process?

We have an issue right now on these forums where JS debugging is being turned on - if you don't have Firebug installed (which would apply to IE8, and possibly FF3.1), then you might experience some javascript issues. We'll be updating these forums in the next couple of days to rectify that.

I like what I see so far, it seems as though the latest version loads very quickly on Firefox and Interne Explorer 8.

A few suggestions, I would like to see AJAX used more when saving options in the user control panel and even switching between different sections.

Why are there so many times skinning issues sit there for a long time without being fixed? It's down to only 8 confirmed bugs in the coding, yet over 30 skin bugs and it seems like a week can go by without much done there. In one of the bug reports bfarber mentioned that the turnaround between beta 4 and beta 5 would be much quicker than between beta 3 and beta 4, but it's already been right around 2 weeks and still won't be RC.

Archived