IPB3 Beta 4

Lee Craven

[quote name='bfarber' date='03 April 2009 - 01:16 PM' timestamp='1238793388' post='1794147']

Exactly. With the first wave of betas we've kind of just been pushing them out there without full QA procedures being followed internally. They were early betas after all, and we knew there were bugs. As we approach finalizing the software we're just getting back into the habit of properly QA-ing the software before releasing it is all.

Beta 5 will be made available to everyone.

So Beta 5 by midnight tonight and RC by Monday?

:lol: - J/K

[quote name='bfarber' date='03 April 2009 - 11:08 PM' timestamp='1238764107' post='1794076']
Bashers...I'd recommend you just wait for final if you can't handle there being bugs in the software. Even then, I don't know that you'll be pleased, because I can guarantee that 3.0.0 final will have bugs in it. As will 3.0.1. As will 3.0.2. And 3.1.0. And every other release.

We are putting in all our efforts to ensure that the 3.0.0 final release is as stable as humanly possible. There are more code changes in this release than virtually any other release we've ever put out (definitely more code changes than any release I've personally been involved with) so we've been taking our time to make sure we get things right. If this bothers you, and you'd really we just rushed it, then I can only recommend you step back and just wait for the final release. We will publicly announce it when final is available.

You must fix all the bugs before I am happy! Look at high quality, multi-million dollar software developments like Micorosoft Windows ... it has always been completely bug free!

[quote name='Stallyon' date='03 April 2009 - 02:01 PM' timestamp='1238806889' post='1794160']
You must fix all the bugs before I am happy! Look at high quality, multi-million dollar software developments like Micorosoft Windows ... it has always been completely bug free!

I really hope that was sarcasm. <_<

[quote name='Stallyon' date='03 April 2009 - 06:01 PM' timestamp='1238806889' post='1794160']

April Fools!

Anyways, while I do have to wait for IPB3 to launch my site I don't mind waiting as I know the product will be of higher quality and up to par with the rest of the IPS products.

[quote name='TXM' date='05 April 2009 - 12:36 PM' timestamp='1238963809' post='1794408']
if there will be a RC(1) after BETA5, there will be an upgrade from this ioncube needed version(BETA) to non-ioncube version(RC) ?

I don't believe IonCube will be needed with the RC - They have it for bug tracking purposes only. (Is my understanding, staff will need to confirm this)

[quote name='Lee Craven' date='05 April 2009 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1238964223' post='1794410']

I don't believe IonCube will be needed with the RC - They have it for bug tracking purposes only. (Is my understanding, staff will need to confirm this)

I have demanded if from BETA5(ioncube needed) to RC1(no need ioncube), there will be an upgrade pack...
I haven't demanded if the RC will be ioncube need, because i know the RCs willn't be ioncube need.

[quote name='TXM' date='05 April 2009 - 05:12 PM' timestamp='1238965922' post='1794418']
I have demanded if from BETA5(ioncube needed) to RC1(no need ioncube), there will be an upgrade pack...
I haven't demanded if the RC will be ioncube need, because i know the RCs willn't be ioncube need.

Please note that the correct English translation of 'demandre' (fr) is 'to ask' and not 'to demand'.

I don't know if any of the RCs will be encoded. Last I heard - they wouldn't be.

We have not promised an upgrade path from betas to RCs, and in fact have quite frequently stated it is very likely there *won't* be such an upgrade path. It is extremely likely that when RC1 is available, it will only allow you to upgrade from 2.3.6 or lower to RC1, and not from any 3.0 betas to RC1. We don't know for sure yet, but there have been many upgrader/installer bugs that as they get fixed can't be retroactive.

Do not plan to use a beta and upgrade to an RC release. It may or may not be possible.

[quote name='kenichi' date='06 April 2009 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1239036785' post='1794522']
Will there be support provided for upgrading from 2.3.6 to IPB 3 RC 1?

The upgrader would be available for testing, not for upgrading your live site to an RC.

[quote name='bfarber' date='06 April 2009 - 10:10 AM' timestamp='1239041408' post='1794542']

We do not provide support for any beta or RC release.

I can't wait, glad I re-installed 2.3.6 on my site, I didn't expect to have a 'true working' upgrade script from Beta to RC.

BRING THE RC :lo:

Hey hey hey.... I'd rather it be a solid release then have them put out a number. Remember this is a MAJOR release (2.0 --> 3.0), not a minor (2.x --> 2.y) release.
I mean a release a month ago wouldn't have supported IE8, and there are still a number of bugs being fixed in and around.
There is no need to rush them. (Not going to get it any sooner even if you did)

Archived