IPB3 Beta 4

Lee Craven

[quote name='Shahid-Hussain' date='25 March 2009 - 08:31 PM' timestamp='1238023912' post='1792511']
Thanks Rikki, it does look nice :)

Suggestion:

- Move "Search Topic" at the top-left in the light blue bar.
- I don't think Light blue bar for fast reply is needed.
- Change the font size smaller (and colour) for member title (IPB Newbie, IPB Full Member).
- Don't forget you need a new icon for Topic's List or Posts List.
- Change "Online At Once Record" to "Most users online was" or something better.
- add HOVER colour when you click on 'Fonts', 'Size', 'Other style' from RTE.

I disagree about removing the bar for fast reply, I think it should stay. I also think you should add cursor: pointer/cursor: hand (whichever it is) for input buttons.

On the board index, a bit more space between "Latest news" and the first forum title would look better, they're a tad bit too close together.

index1.gif

I wouldn't mind a bit more attention to that whole area on the index. Elements of that part of the page are at different heights and indenting. Collapse/Expand for the hooks is all the way to the right.

Seems like it could be more fluid. just a thought.......

Personally there isn't much I can think of for skin changes other than color changes which obviously are going to be left to people to modify rather than the default.

I personally don't like the way the board stats is. That's my main dislike with the skin other than not personally liking the general colors too much.

I like profile view a lot. I like most other areas as far as skinning also.

Oh and personally I think something should be done to make personal conversations look different than topics. (more different, anyway).

Not too much else. Maybe a thinner left side in topic view (where the avatar and info is).

[quote name='Estranged' date='25 March 2009 - 06:09 PM' timestamp='1238018980' post='1792493']
Yes and this has been a very long beta process which is winding down. There are 3 bugs on the public side. Three. But we have to keep waiting due to skin issues piling up more and more each day. I don't care really, but someone whined that I shouldn't be testing beta 3 and should be testing beta 4. Well bfarber hinted that beta 4 could be skipped because beta 5 was going to be unusually quick and it hasn't been.... it's been 2 weeks and I think there were only 3 weeks or less between 3 and 4.

Well, things change I'm afraid. ;) We expected to get beta 5 out really quickly, but decided to hold it back internally to take care of other things (and to fix bugs we've found...e.g. the skin system bugs I reported yesterday).

I can't go into details for obvious reasons, but we have plans internally, and sometimes they change. I said we *expected* a much quicker turn around time between beta 4 and 5 (based on those plans) and that was the reason we didn't plan to refresh beta 4 with the language XML files. I DID post those language XML files for anyone who installs beta 4 to import, so it's not like beta 4 is not testable.

And keep in mind - our primary goal here is to get testing done so we can release a solid and stable product. That's our number one goal. Giving modders time to work on stuff to get ready for release and so forth is a nice side effect where possible, but that's not going to drive our release schedule.

No it's not untestable, but now I've gne this long not installing beta 4, so there's no point now. I'm sure now it truly would be a short turnaround. A lot of things I reported were happening on thissite though, so it was technically beta 4 anyway.

[quote name='Lee Craven' date='29 March 2009 - 05:19 PM' timestamp='1238368746' post='1793257']
Getting closer to RC (I know Beta 5 has to come first, maybe 6 and a few more) I can feel it in my bones :P I'm happy, VERY early Christmas present huh?!

Yeah, that'd be nice!

[quote name='Lee Craven' date='29 March 2009 - 05:19 PM' timestamp='1238368746' post='1793257']
Getting closer to RC (I know Beta 5 has to come first, maybe 6 and a few more) I can feel it in my bones tongue.gif I'm happy, VERY early Christmas present huh?!

Was beta refreshed?

I see IP.Board 3.0.0 Beta 4(.1) on here...

By the way I just meant to state my guess on the part of that related to how many betas and RCs. I personally think there will be nothing past beta 5 and I even have a feeling they could skip beta 5 and go to RC 1. Doubt it though, but surely there won't be a beta 6.

Me too, if they have a beta 5. Although I was sure it would be out last week also. lol It comes down to when the skinners have time to fix skin issues I would think because there aren't too many bugs unrelated to skin left.

Edit, by the way... anyone notice gmail still says beta after these years of it being in existence? lol

[quote name='Estranged' date='30 March 2009 - 08:14 AM' timestamp='1238415293' post='1793329']
Me too, if they have a beta 5. Although I was sure it would be out last week also. lol It comes down to when the skinners have time to fix skin issues I would think because there aren't too many bugs unrelated to skin left.

Edit, by the way... anyone notice gmail still says beta after these years of it being in existence? lol

There will be a beta 5.

If you are on staff, thanks for the info. If not, it doesn't mean much because bfarner has said before just because it is listed in the bug tracker doesn't mean a version will be called that and also the original plan was to release beta 5 almost immediately after beta 4 (and I believe he even said back then they hadn't planned on even having a beta 5). So since they have instead taken more time before releasing anything else, my guess is RC1. Or really my "guess" is beta 5, but I wouldn't be shocked at RC1.

edit: I'll sure be glad when something comes out because I am still using beta 3 since I figured no point uploading beta 4 files and going through that whole process just to have bugs and then have the next release come out right after I do it.

But on this live board the edit button still doesn't bring up the menu for quick edit in IE 8... so I hope they fix that before they release anything.

[quote name='Matt' date='27 March 2009 - 09:52 AM' timestamp='1238143967' post='1792724']
Yeah, that's a feature.

I'm expanding that right now to include:

Moderator Preview [yes/no ] until [X] [approved posts / days since joining]
Max posts per 24 hours [X] until [X] [approved posts / days since joining]

This will allow you to moderator preview all posts until the user has been a member for, say, a week OR until they have 10 approved posts.
Also, you can limit the number of posts they can make.

Additionally, as we've noticed here, humans sign up with a normal looking name so the admin validates them. Then they go in and change their display name to something like 'Cheap Meds'. To help combat this, we're also adding options to not allow signature editing / display name changing until they reach X approved posts OR they've been a member for X days.

All per group.

I suspect there will be new features against spam boots in next beta?

[quote name='edivad' date='31 March 2009 - 03:05 AM' timestamp='1238497525' post='1793516']
Will we have an ajax live preview for what we write inside the editor? Just like the vbulletin switchmode.gif
Thank you.

IPB generally try and keep there features different from VB, cool feature though I agree.

[quote name='Lee Craven' date='31 March 2009 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1238505388' post='1793545']

IPB generally try and keep there features different from VB, cool feature though I agree.

We don't try to keep the features different or similar to any other specific product. We try to keep the features in line with what is requested by the majority of our customers.

However, we are at a beta 4 stage and are not introducing new functionality where possible, so I'm afraid any new features will have to wait until the next version.

Archived