IPB3 Beta 4

Lee Craven

I feel that if IPS is developing IPB based on the CURRENT STABLE FF RELEASE, then you should all be using that, and leave it to IPS to iron out issues with the FUTURE release of FF, who's to say it isn't FF Beta that is at fault and not IPS, you can't fix BETA with BETA.

Just my 2p (wait I can say 2 cents I live in Arizona now, not Leeds :P )

While we may test some things in beta releases of browsers, we can never properly support a browser beta release. They have their own bugs which we shouldn't be attempting to correct for.

When FF 3.1 or 3.5 or whatever version they decide to slap on it is released final, we will of course correct any problems within IPB that affect functionality in the new release. Until then, we have to code for Firefox 3.0, as it's the current stable release.

As for why skin bugs aren't worked through as quickly as others - there are several reasons

1) There's one designer and 3 backend developers
2) A lot of the remaining skin bugs are much more challenging to correct than earlier bug reports. Sometimes one bug can take several hours to correct, or requires huge amounts of code to be refactored to correct.
3) Rikki has other work to attend to simultaneously (such as the lofi skin) which may not be listed in the bug tracker, but still needs to be done and takes time.

[quote name='bfarber' date='24 March 2009 - 05:11 AM' timestamp='1237900313' post='1792128']
While we may test some things in beta releases of browsers, we can never properly support a browser beta release. They have their own bugs which we shouldn't be attempting to correct for.

When FF 3.1 or 3.5 or whatever version they decide to slap on it is released final, we will of course correct any problems within IPB that affect functionality in the new release. Until then, we have to code for Firefox 3.0, as it's the current stable release.

As for why skin bugs aren't worked through as quickly as others - there are several reasons

1) There's one designer and 3 backend developers
2) A lot of the remaining skin bugs are much more challenging to correct than earlier bug reports. Sometimes one bug can take several hours to correct, or requires huge amounts of code to be refactored to correct.
3) Rikki has other work to attend to simultaneously (such as the lofi skin) which may not be listed in the bug tracker, but still needs to be done and takes time.

Doesn't get any more straight forward than that. Nice Explanation.

Yeah.....but look at the bar within the forum topic index and in topics that have subtitles.

seems kind of tall.

Guess it will work out alright since the site i'm on tend to use long topic titles and subtitles anyways, but on other boards like the IPS forums.......

[quote name='Axel Wers' date='24 March 2009 - 09:34 PM' timestamp='1237926879' post='1792230']Thanks fot that lightblue bar, it looks like much more better :thumbsup:
I agree :)

[quote name='sparc' date='24 March 2009 - 10:12 PM' timestamp='1237929160' post='1792248']Yeah.....but look at the bar within the forum topic index and in topics that have subtitles.
seems kind of tall.
I agree too :(

Well on topic index I would change the marking to a button to the right or left of the name or make a link aligned to the right. But I tried aligning something to the right in that class befoe and it doesn't work, so i don't know.

Inside topics they could also just place the subtitle somewhere else. Although it doesn't look so horrible to have it like it is.

As far as my last comment, I just realized they have the collapsable icon aligned right so I guess they have the class where things can be aligned that way.

Anyway yeah, I program some, making IPB modifications and skinning is the one area I am worst at so I usually use IPB classes as they already are. But I'm going to start reading about what can be done via CSS where I can then get thigns how I want, whether it be my site or modifications.

[quote name='No1 1000' date='12 March 2009 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1236867041' post='1790130']
Simply put, some of us have plans which sort of require having 3.0 first.

Plans change though, it could be rushed and have nasty bugs in which then members of the community moan about and then IPB still get it for not resolving the matter sooner. Perfect example would be when the original "final" was thought to becoming out, that was IPB's Plan and people said "fix it", "complete it before you release it", "I don't mind waiting if the product improves"..

I think a lot of time could be used wisely, especially if everyone quits asking if it's ready or when it will be.
~Joey

Rikki, thanks for scaling down the height/width of some of the form buttons (especially those beside a textbox), looks a lot better.

It's also nice to see the topic title when viewing a topic wrapped in some kind of background like the forum titles... I had the same complaint for the topic titles, they just looked too out of place and free floating.

[quote name='iBotPeaches' date='25 March 2009 - 07:49 AM' timestamp='1237996143' post='1792414']
I love the small buttons, and blue bar. Please keep it, or comment it in CSS, so I can un-comment. :)

:lol: yeah that would be cool, have areas in the code commented out so some can have certain looks and other not :D - would make it nice.

[quote name='Estranged' date='23 March 2009 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1237844360' post='1792092']
Why are there so many times skinning issues sit there for a long time without being fixed? It's down to only 8 confirmed bugs in the coding, yet over 30 skin bugs and it seems like a week can go by without much done there. In one of the bug reports bfarber mentioned that the turnaround between beta 4 and beta 5 would be much quicker than between beta 3 and beta 4, but it's already been right around 2 weeks and still won't be RC.

Patience my friend. The bugs will be fixed no matter what. Also as noted, you shouldn't worry too much about the current versions, by no means are you suppose to use these ipb 3.0 beta versions on a live web site. The coding is the back-bone of this script, id expect that to be looked at before they worry about the skinning bugs. They are called beta simply because they are still work in progress obviously.

Yes and this has been a very long beta process which is winding down. There are 3 bugs on the public side. Three. But we have to keep waiting due to skin issues piling up more and more each day. I don't care really, but someone whined that I shouldn't be testing beta 3 and should be testing beta 4. Well bfarber hinted that beta 4 could be skipped because beta 5 was going to be unusually quick and it hasn't been.... it's been 2 weeks and I think there were only 3 weeks or less between 3 and 4.

So it's fine with me. I'm just saying I am not going to install beta 4, so my bug reports will continue to be beta 3 ones and it's not my fault. They wouldn't refresh beta 4 to fix a couple nasty bugs. I hope the IE8 edit bug has eben fixed. It sure is still there on this live site where I can't quick edit. I assume in compatibility mode it would work, but I am trying to not use that.

As for the CSS, how would we not have to change the HTML if he keeps the class, but doesn't use it? It would mean we have to go and edit all of the html adding in class='maintitle'. Or if you meant he is keeping the html saying the class name, I certainly would hope he would simply comment out the CSS line where it's as simple as undoing that which would take 2 seconds and then it be back.

The blue bar is staying by the way - I agree it ties things together nicely. Over the next week or so I'm also hoping to tweak various other parts of the skin to make them tidier, so if you have any suggestions in that vein, feel free to let me know.

Thanks Rikki, it does look nice :)

Suggestion:

- Move "Search Topic" at the top-left in the light blue bar.
- I don't think Light blue bar for fast reply is needed.
- Change the font size smaller (and colour) for member title (IPB Newbie, IPB Full Member).
- Don't forget you need a new icon for Topic's List or Posts List.
- Change "Online At Once Record" to "Most users online was" or something better.
- add HOVER colour when you click on 'Fonts', 'Size', 'Other style' from RTE.

Archived