IPB3 Beta 4

Lee Craven

[quote name='bfarber' date='06 April 2009 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1239025214' post='1794495']
I don't know if any of the RCs will be encoded. Last I heard - they wouldn't be.

We have not promised an upgrade path from betas to RCs, and in fact have quite frequently stated it is very likely there *won't* be such an upgrade path. It is extremely likely that when RC1 is available, it will only allow you to upgrade from 2.3.6 or lower to RC1, and not from any 3.0 betas to RC1. We don't know for sure yet, but there have been many upgrader/installer bugs that as they get fixed can't be retroactive.

Do not plan to use a beta and upgrade to an RC release. It may or may not be possible.

What about those impatient ones who have already upgraded their live boards to a beta version of IPB3? How can they upgrade to the final version once released?

I am asking this because I'm one of those guys... :P

[quote name='PrinceOfAbyss' date='13 April 2009 - 12:51 PM' timestamp='1239641511' post='1795668']
What about those impatient ones who have already upgraded their live boards to a beta version of IPB3? How can they upgrade to the final version once released?

I am asking this because I'm one of those guys... :P

Umm...you might need to restore a backup. Or update manually somehow. I'm really not sure tbh - you'll be kind of on your own I'm afraid.

To 'upgrade' to IPB 3 final, you'd need to follow these:

1) Create a dump of a clean Beta 4 database
2) Create a dump of a clean Final database
3) Create a dump of your database
4) Compare (1) and (2) against (3).
5) Run the queries to update (3) to match that of (2).
6) Upload the new files.

That's just a quick summary about what to do. It's a lot more harder in reality. :rolleyes:

[quote name='PrinceOfAbyss' date='13 April 2009 - 01:36 PM' timestamp='1239644165' post='1795673']
You gotta be kidding me! Isn't there a way to downgrade to 2.3.6 now anyway? Restoring an older DB from when my forum was 2.3.6 is something that simply cannot happen... After the upgrade to 3b4 there have been posted about 200 posts...

I'm afraid we've stated over and over with every beta release NOT to update your live site. We said it would not be supported, and we've publicly stated that we did not expect to end up releasing an upgrade path from betas to final. The only reason the upgrader is available presently is purely for testing.

I'm sorry that you are in this position, but it is not something we will likely be able to accommodate.

Your work load may not be as big as it seems, hard to say. We do have a database checker int he ACP that will fix any database problems it can find - so long as you are able to access the ACP.

[quote name='Lee Craven' date='13 April 2009 - 06:16 PM' timestamp='1239661006' post='1795721']
I gotta admit, it's in almost EVERY topic regarging Beta: "DO NOT USE ANY BETA FOR LIVE SITES" - Couldn't have been said enough. I hope you are able to figure out the upgrade, if not, better to be 200 posts than 10'000 posts!

I agree, and it's there before you download it in the client area

Please note that this release is NOT supported by IPS and we strongly recommend that you DO NOT upgrade your production board with this release.

. Once beta 5 is released. I'll take a copy of the live board and see how the upgrade goes. I'll even do that once the final release comes out. I'm definitely in no rush to loose anything.

Do not use this software on a public install. Wait for the final series for your public installs. There may be no upgrade path between beta versions.

it's also in every company news topic announcing a new beta release.

lol

Technical support is not available for this beta software.

I was able to downgrade to 2.3.6 by using the tables for forums, topics, and posts from 3b4 to the backup I had taken just before I upgraded my 2.3.6 to 3b4.

The only problem now is that emoticons are expressed in the new style emoticon

I know this is not a big problem, because once I upgrade to 3 final, they will be OK again. But until then, and if there is an easy way to fix them (I know it can happen with regex, but I'm not familiar with it), can I do anything to convert them to the old style of emoticons?

[quote name='Funnykat' date='22 April 2009 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1240458766' post='1797297']
Hello

Where and how exactly do I get this ioncube_loader_lin_5.2 ?

Download the correct file for your server here http://www.ioncube.com/loaders.php

Extract and it should be in there.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='bfarber' date='03 April 2009 - 02:08 PM' timestamp='1238764107' post='1794076']Bashers...I'd recommend you just wait for final if you can't handle there being bugs in the software. Even then, I don't know that you'll be pleased, because I can guarantee that 3.0.0 final will have bugs in it. As will 3.0.1. As will 3.0.2. And 3.1.0. And every other release.

Is that a guarantee you can keep? :P

source: http://twitter.com/rikkitissier/status/1852564538

It was also the first time where "normal" people had access to the unencoded source files, and when developers really started the move from 2.3 to 3.0.

It was expected, RC1 always does, it's the first time it's used on live sites by hundreds of thousands of people :) #ipb

Yeah, people that have avoided beta testing have now gone ahead and upgraded their live site, so there are a ton of one-off, rare, off the wall bugs that ARE bugs, but are bugs no one had run into before. It's expected. It's why we have RC releases before taking a "beta" to "final".

Archived