IPB3 Beta 4

Lee Craven

[quote name='kenichi' date='31 March 2009 - 06:18 PM' timestamp='1238552324' post='1793701']
I thought the fifth Beta was supposed to be released.

My understanding is bfarber means, they want to iron out all the current bugs and skin issues, get the RC out and then for next versions of 3.x.x consider adding new common ideas that members request...

I could be incorrect but would only make sense in order to not delay the RC build more than needed.

bfarber, do you think we are going to see a beta 5 or would it be possible with an extended delay to release RC soon? Just curious.

[quote name='bfarber' date='26 March 2009 - 03:33 PM' timestamp='1238074437' post='1792595']we didn't plan to refresh beta 4 with the language XML files. I DID post those language XML files for anyone who installs beta 4 to import
Did you post language XML files for Gallery, Blogs and Downloads too?

[quote name='Lee Craven' date='01 April 2009 - 04:12 AM' timestamp='1238573526' post='1793727']

My understanding is bfarber means, they want to iron out all the current bugs and skin issues, get the RC out and then for next versions of 3.x.x consider adding new common ideas that members request...

I could be incorrect but would only make sense in order to not delay the RC build more than needed.

bfarber, do you think we are going to see a beta 5 or would it be possible with an extended delay to release RC soon? Just curious.

Exactly. We will look at feature suggestions when we begin work on 3.1 or whatever.

We will see a beta 5, yes. That is the plan right now at least.

I'm getting this erros on IE8, should in the tracker? biggrin.gif

Webpage error details<BR><BR>User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)<BR>Timestamp: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 03:15:47 UTC<BR><BR><BR>Message: 'console' is undefined<BR>Line: 67<BR>Char: 10<BR>Code: 0<BR>URI: <A class=bbc_url title="External link" href="http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/282145-ipb3-beta-4/page__st__160" rel=nofollow>http://forums.invisi...4/page__st__160</A><BR><BR><BR>Message: 'console' is undefined<BR>Line: 67<BR>Char: 10<BR>Code: 0<BR>URI: <A class=bbc_url title="External link" href="http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/282145-ipb3-beta-4/page__st__160" rel=nofollow>http://forums.invisi...4/page__st__160</A>

Well it doesn't seem as far along as it should be this long after beta 4. And even if beta 5 is released soon, look at how many bugs are still in it! So it would guarantee too many bugs being in RC1 or it would mean a beta 6 and if there's a sixth beta that's just kind of ridiculous because not only would there have already been 5 other betas, but each one was tested much longer than these used to be tested for IPB. I mentioned the skin bugs seemingly rarely addressed and even since I said that not even 1/3 of those remaining ones have eben fixed in weeks since that point. Sigh.

In this topic it has a JS error saying console is undefined. I don't feel like reporting it because I noticed another JS bug report was made so I will just guess it was this one and not read it.

Also, I personally liked the edit button brining up the quick or full edit dropdown. It just made it different than vb and was smoothly done. Now it's just like vb which is annoying.

And as far as the comment that they don't base their features on other software, but on popilar requests.... said themsevles asking for the up link back has been "done to death" and they said no way they are adding it back. And the top link they do have goes to a different page rather than using an anchor tag or javascript! So it takes as long to load a topic to simply go to the top of the current page. What sense does that make?

[quote name='Estranged' date='02 April 2009 - 10:19 PM' timestamp='1238725198' post='1794053']
So it would guarantee too many bugs being in RC1 or it would mean a beta 6

No
[quote name='Estranged' date='02 April 2009 - 10:19 PM' timestamp='1238725198' post='1794053']
and if there's a sixth beta that's just kind of ridiculous because not only would there have already been 5 other betas, but each one was tested much longer than these used to be tested for IPB.

No
I mentioned the skin bugs seemingly rarely addressed

No
[quote name='Estranged' date='02 April 2009 - 10:19 PM' timestamp='1238725198' post='1794053']and even since I said that not even 1/3 of those remaining ones have eben fixed in weeks since that point.

Maybe
In this topic it has a JS error saying console is undefined. I don't feel like reporting it because I noticed another JS bug report was made so I will just guess it was this one and not read it.

OK
Also, I personally liked the edit button brining up the quick or full edit dropdown. It just made it different than vb and was smoothly done. Now it's just like vb which is annoying.

OK
And the top link they do have goes to a different page rather than using an anchor tag or javascript!

No
So it takes as long to load a topic to simply go to the top of the current page.

No

[quote name='Estranged' date='03 April 2009 - 03:19 AM' timestamp='1238725198' post='1794053']
Well it doesn't seem as far along as it should be this long after beta 4. And even if beta 5 is released soon, look at how many bugs are still in it! So it would guarantee too many bugs being in RC1 or it would mean a beta 6 and if there's a sixth beta that's just kind of ridiculous because not only would there have already been 5 other betas, but each one was tested much longer than these used to be tested for IPB. I mentioned the skin bugs seemingly rarely addressed and even since I said that not even 1/3 of those remaining ones have eben fixed in weeks since that point. Sigh.

Do you even have access to the betas? I thought you opted to not renew your license? In which case, are you just going by the count in the bug tracker? There are always bugs in the bug tracker - at the moment we're in QA stages so we have people whose job it is to look for bugs, of course bugs are going to be found - that doesn't mean the software is unusably buggy.

And we know there's a big gap between beta 4 and beta 5, the reason is because we want everything ready for beta 5 before we move into RC - we don't want new things being added in the RC stages, obviously and so things like help files, final changes needed for the components, finishing the MSSQL driver, making sure we're XHTML valid etc are being done before beta 5 is released. Hence all the "4.1" and "4.2" - in the past these would have been new betas (they're new builds) but what we want to be beta 5 isn't ready.

Bashers...I'd recommend you just wait for final if you can't handle there being bugs in the software. Even then, I don't know that you'll be pleased, because I can guarantee that 3.0.0 final will have bugs in it. As will 3.0.1. As will 3.0.2. And 3.1.0. And every other release.

We are putting in all our efforts to ensure that the 3.0.0 final release is as stable as humanly possible. There are more code changes in this release than virtually any other release we've ever put out (definitely more code changes than any release I've personally been involved with) so we've been taking our time to make sure we get things right. If this bothers you, and you'd really we just rushed it, then I can only recommend you step back and just wait for the final release. We will publicly announce it when final is available.

My point was not that there are bugs. I have obviously used RCs live before so I am not scared of some bugs being present.

professor, I have perpetuals.

brandon d, most of those nos need to be changed to yeses. :P Yes the top link does go to adifferent url and yes it takes too long for something as simple as going to the top of the page.

Everybody is missing my point. Actually I am too tired to remember my own point anyway. lol

While I agree that software always has bugs in it, which is why IPB constantly issues new security or bug fix updates x.x.1 and so on. I think the concern is that IPS Clients aren't being given access to test the Fifth Beta. Not only is there a Beta 5 planned but there are also RC's and that someone from IPS Staff said that IPB woould see a release before June. With approximately 7-8 weeks, I'm optimistic that we'll see a final version released before June.

[quote name='kenichi' date='03 April 2009 - 05:08 PM' timestamp='1238792895' post='1794145']I think the concern is that IPS Clients aren't being given access to test the Fifth Beta.
Huh what? Where did you hear this? Pretty sure the people reporting bugs in B5 now are just the staff/QA team and will eventually be released to customers when they feel it's time ;)

[quote name='Brandon D' date='03 April 2009 - 05:13 PM' timestamp='1238793213' post='1794146']
Huh what? Where did you hear this? Pretty sure the people reporting bugs in B5 now are just the staff/QA team and will eventually be released to customers when they feel it's time ;)

Exactly. With the first wave of betas we've kind of just been pushing them out there without full QA procedures being followed internally. They were early betas after all, and we knew there were bugs. As we approach finalizing the software we're just getting back into the habit of properly QA-ing the software before releasing it is all.

Beta 5 will be made available to everyone.

Archived