IPB3 Beta 4

Lee Craven

[quote name='killswitch☺' date='13 March 2009 - 08:52 PM' timestamp='1236991946' post='1790392']
Remember when the release date was suppose to be Late 2008, early 2009?

Now we might have to wait another half a year(6 months is a 1/2 year, those who cant do math).

CRAZY. Is the only way I can put it.

Uh, last I checked June was only three months past March, and we're already half-way through that anyway. Assuming they're able to stick to the by-June statement, no more than 2.5 more months.

I agree that it's taken a long time and I'm as anxious as anyone, but ranting about it does nothing.

[quote name='No1 1000' date='13 March 2009 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1236997321' post='1790406']
Uh, last I checked June was only three months past March, and we're already half-way through that anyway. Assuming they're able to stick to the by-June statement, no more than 2.5 more months.

I agree that it's taken a long time and I'm as anxious as anyone, but ranting about it does nothing.

Want meant to be a rant, doesn't sound like a rant... hmm... just looks like you want to b*tch about something. any way. Jan(original release) to June. Is 6 Months. As I already stated in my previous post. Hopefully if you ever reply to one of my posts, please read it, and not just skim it.

[quote name='killswitch☺' date='13 March 2009 - 11:46 PM' timestamp='1237002411' post='1790432']
Want meant to be a rant, doesn't sound like a rant... hmm... just looks like you want to b*tch about something. any way. Jan(original release) to June. Is 6 Months. As I already stated in my previous post. Hopefully if you ever reply to one of my posts, please read it, and not just skim it.

i'm speechless.

[quote name='klwebb' date='13 March 2009 - 10:12 PM' timestamp='1236978765' post='1790343']
When is the Subscription Manager going to be added to IPB 3? I can not convert over until this happens.

Any updates being made to the subscription manager? I am one that feels a major overhaul is needed.

Is there a better way to manage subscriptions for the IP Services Board, blog, gallery etc?

Thank you,
Keith
www.whf-texas.org

Me too. From what I heard, it will be released as a community project once IPB 3 is released. What I believe that means is, on the day of release, a working component of the subscription manager will be available for you to download. Additionally, the subscription manager will be released as an "open project" which will allow third party developers to work and improve the existing system.

If I am mistaken with anything I said above, I hope a staff member can correct it.

:rolleyes:

Brandon said "I'll simply say that our target release date is before June." - that is quite different to "Our target release date is in June." which is how it looks like some people read it.

And people wonder why we don't like to mention dates....

[quote name='Archon Neo' date='14 March 2009 - 11:59 PM' timestamp='1237075167' post='1790558']
Me too. From what I heard, it will be released as a community project once IPB 3 is released. What I believe that means is, on the day of release, a working component of the subscription manager will be available for you to download. Additionally, the subscription manager will be released as an "open project" which will allow third party developers to work and improve the existing system.

If I am mistaken with anything I said above, I hope a staff member can correct it.

That is the plan

[quote name='Μark' date='14 March 2009 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1237079652' post='1790561']
Brandon said "I'll simply say that our target release date is before June." - that is quite different to "Our target release date is in June." which is how it looks like some people read it.

I think you meant to remove 'target'? :P

Exactly. killswitch - I see you telling someone else not to skim your posts, but perhaps take some of your own advice and not skim mine. :) I never said release would be in June. In fact, if we released tomorrow (which we're not) it would be before June, and my statement would be perfectly accurate.

We don't know exactly when we will release. Contrary to what some here believe, we also do not base our release dates on our competition. We are setting goals for ourselves to release the software in a stable, working, reliable and secure way for our customers. If that means holding back the release for "6 months" from our original plan to ensure that everything is fully functional, stable and secure - so be it. This is a huge release, a big rewrite from the 2.3 series, and we are aiming to do it right, not "fast".

I think what the whole problem is that while many of us have come to expect an annual summer release for new versions, that a lot of us have paid for license renewals despite not receiving a new sizable upgrade since 2.3 was released. The release between 2.3 and 3.0 will have been two years and may just seem unfair to some clients who continue to pay for the renewals with no upgrades.

Brandon, I'm wondering if the development betwen future releases will be 12-18 months from the date of the previous version.

No, why would it?

This is a BIG update, not a minor point release. It takes a lot more time to develop such a release. A lot of what we have done with 3.0 is specifically worked to make it easier to build updates and new features quicker in the future.

[quote name='kenichi' date='16 March 2009 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1237223552' post='1790826']
I think what the whole problem is that while many of us have come to expect an annual summer release for new versions, that a lot of us have paid for license renewals despite not receiving a new sizable upgrade since 2.3 was released. The release between 2.3 and 3.0 will have been two years and may just seem unfair to some clients who continue to pay for the renewals with no upgrades.

Brandon, I'm wondering if the development betwen future releases will be 12-18 months from the date of the previous version.

I'm pretty sure you were never told to expect annual summer releases. The license renewal isn't solely for software upgrades -- you get access to staff support and the Resources site and forums.

aurora, look past the lines. That's not what I'm saying. I'm simply saying that there are probably a lot of client of IPS that are upset over the fact that all of the renewals have been paid without a software update to the next version.

Brandon, what I've been trying to clarify is that every summer, we would see a release 2.1 (2005), 2.2 (2006), 2.3 (2007) and so on. What I'm trying to explain is that some are wondering why it took two years for the new version. A new version of the software wasn't announced until sometime this past summer ... I think some are just concerned why it took so long to get the new version out.

Um... maybe cause people don't mysteriously gain knowledge of newer upgrades to languages. php5, and the updated javascript and CSS libraries are new. I don't expect any staff to know the language by heart unless they just learned it. For example I know Visual Basic a TON back in the day, now I open up VB.NET Express 2008 and hell control arrays are gone. Things change, people learn them. That summer that no release came is because they were working on IP. Dynamic, IP. Nexus and some other thing I imagine.

I pay my 6 month bill not only for updates, but for support and there such great guys :) I pay them to keep them in business. Due to the sucky economy everyone is facing I would encourage everyone to renew their license since they probably need some cash.

I have to agree, people are NOT paying for NEW RELEASES, they are paying for support and support upgrades/releases, IPS could easily make it's customers pay for a new license to get the LATEST version example from 2.x.x -> 3.x.x - just like other software developers do. When you buy Adobe photoshop 4 do you expect to get adobe photoshop 7 for free because you bought the first one? Not at all, so in return IPS are being generous.

Gawd. I wish I only had to pay once for Adobe Creative Suite and then just a 6 monthly fee to keep up to date. Since I started using CS exclusively for design, I have had to re-purchase the entire software suite several times now. At 1.5 grand PLUS a pop, it ain't cheap.

[quote name='kenichi' date='16 March 2009 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1237248791' post='1790918']
aurora, look past the lines. That's not what I'm saying. I'm simply saying that there are probably a lot of client of IPS that are upset over the fact that all of the renewals have been paid without a software update to the next version.

Brandon, what I've been trying to clarify is that every summer, we would see a release 2.1 (2005), 2.2 (2006), 2.3 (2007) and so on. What I'm trying to explain is that some are wondering why it took two years for the new version. A new version of the software wasn't announced until sometime this past summer ... I think some are just concerned why it took so long to get the new version out.

2.1 -> 2.2 was a point release.
2.2 -> 2.3 was a point release.
2.3 -> 3.0 is a *major version* release

That's what's different.

The underlying code architecture for 2.1 -> 2.2, and 2.2 -> 2.3 did not change much. We had an ipsclass.php file with most of the functions. Folder structure was the same. The biggest changes were various features and bug fixes.

3.0 is virtually a complete rewrite, with an entirely rewritten architecture, and as such it takes longer than a minor point release.

We have never given any specific expectation as to when new versions will be available, outside of official date estimates (which are estimates only). I apologize if you believed there would be a summer release this past summer of 2.4 or 3.0, however there's nothing we've done specifically to give you that expectation. :)

Okay.. just a few things.
First, is there a reason these forums go down every evening/night (British Time)? Yesterday, the previous few nights, when I tried to browse these forums to report issues I have had with IPB 3 Beta 4, Im presented with an error message from Firefox telling me that it could not open the page, because the site was using a compression/encoding scheme that Fx didnt understand. I couldnt open the page in IE either.
Has anyone else noticed this issue, or is it possibly a result of using a transparent proxy (I run my own local caching proxy server)?

Second, IP.Board Beta 4 wouldnt work, nor install on my local testing server: CentOS 5.2, PHP 5.1.6
I had hoped that I could upgrade from a backup copy of my forum, but all I got were blank pages when I tried to access the upgrader. I got no error messages, just those blank pages. I uploaded and upgraded a copy on my main server instead, using a subdomain. THe upgrader gave me errors but otherwise worked. There are a few glitches though... There is no "discussion" tab showing where the other module's have their tabs on the top of the page. I cant access the Private Messages/Conversations as I get an error message instead. The app installer in the ACP still doesnt work quite right, when you go to use it, your left with blank options. It doesnt seem to be finished yet. The forum in question is here: http://beta.everything-dragon.com/forum

Hopefully these issues will be fixed... though CentOS 5.3 will be out before then, so PHP 5.2 will become standard-place.

[quote name='OpenWare' date='18 March 2009 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1237408269' post='1791259']
First, is there a reason these forums go down every evening/night (British Time)? Yesterday, the previous few nights, when I tried to browse these forums to report issues I have had with IPB 3 Beta 4, Im presented with an error message from Firefox telling me that it could not open the page, because the site was using a compression/encoding scheme that Fx didnt understand. I couldnt open the page in IE either.
Has anyone else noticed this issue, or is it possibly a result of using a transparent proxy (I run my own local caching proxy server)?

Taking into account the time difference of 4 or 5 hours, I have not seen the problem that you see. However I do not generally use FF.

[quote name='OpenWare' date='18 March 2009 - 08:31 PM' timestamp='1237408269' post='1791259']
First, is there a reason these forums go down every evening/night (British Time)?

Yes :)

We run daily backups

Okay, with the first problem I have been having, it seems to be an issue with Squid 2.6, and these forums using GZip encoding, so Im happy I figured that out.. but I have no answer for the other problems I have experienced, and I can only hope they are bugs that will be eliminated.

Oh, I realize that, Brandon. Personally, I've never really had a problem that. While it would have been nice to see it released last summer, it doesn't bother me that much. I was trying to explain it a little better as someone else had posted an inquiry about it.

[quote name='OneSoapBubble' date='18 March 2009 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1237399619' post='1791242']
In addition to Text Input, Text Area & Drop Down Box, will the IPB3 custom profile fiels provide Check Frames for multiple choices?
I would appreciate that feature :)

Somebody knows? :rolleyes:

Archived