IPB3 Beta 4

Lee Craven

Playing around with my board for the past few weeks, I'm not finding all to many bugs or issues that are 'big problems' - Do we need to go to beta 4? Or can it go to final so I can start my live board?

No attacks people :P I'm asking an honest question, I just want to install the board so it won't expire and I can start building content and open them up for the world to start contributing to the boards on my site. Or maybe make Beta 4 upgradeable, that would make me a happy camper too :D

I would advise against using a Beta release on a live board and if you can you should be patient and at least wait for an RC release. Personally though I would not upgrade until the final is released.

You will not get support from IPS on an release of IPB that is pre final.

btw, I cannot use Beta 3 as it will not install or upgrade no matter how many times I try. These issues are resolved in Beta 4.

[quote name='teraßyte' date='11 March 2009 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1236803777' post='1789994']
Beta 4 come out exactly 2 minutes ago :lol:

http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/282151-invision-power-board-3-0-0-beta-4-released/

lol thanks.

Good luck on the RC release. Ain't gonna happen anytime soon. There's already a Beta 5 scheduled and I doubt we'll see a release for IPB 3 Final before June or July. The testing for IPB Beta's have been going on for about a month each. Since there are bugs being reported with each Beta, I suspect that we'll see a Beta 6 and 7 before it moves to RC mode.

Way to be negative bud. What you don't understand though was Beta 1 was the first time we used ACP, then Beta 2 was the first time the installer was finished and tons of other things, then Beta 3 we tested the upgrader, now Beta 4 is with Gallery, Blog, Downloads and Tracker. Then Beta 5 will be bug fixes, and I assume Beta 6 will be bug fixes, then probably an RC. Theres no more features to be added or tested, the process from now will be tons faster.

[quote name='kenichi' date='11 March 2009 - 07:40 PM' timestamp='1236818405' post='1790052']
Good luck on the RC release. Ain't gonna happen anytime soon. There's already a Beta 5 scheduled and I doubt we'll see a release for IPB 3 Final before June or July. The testing for IPB Beta's have been going on for about a month each. Since there are bugs being reported with each Beta, I suspect that we'll see a Beta 6 and 7 before it moves to RC mode.

I think you could be wrong. Of course the beginning beta's are going to take longer to test & fix because there are numerous bugs. Once you hit high beta's and RC's, you will find a LOT less bugs. Early beta's could taker longer too because extra features are being added, etc.

I am saying final will be ready late April.

iBot, I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just stating that giving the current status of the Beta testing, that it's probably doubtful that we would see a final release of IPB3 before an RC release has went through the motions. As long as there are substantial buga being reported, I doubt that IPS would release a final version with significant bug reports.

[quote name='chasz' date='12 March 2009 - 01:29 AM' timestamp='1236839348' post='1790089']
nooo, june is too late allowing vb to catch up.

Should have stuck to the core forum rather than running off with all the plugins

Uh, you misread my post. I said before June, not in June.

Additionally, we absolutely cannot release the forum upgrade without the components. Customers have purchased these components from us and it is our responsibility to ensure there are compatible versions available for the new version of the forums.

[quote name='aurorawx' date='12 March 2009 - 07:06 AM' timestamp='1236859573' post='1790110']
Why does anyone care so much about when it's released, anyway? Stop rushing the process which, for the most part, has been going well thus far.

Simply put, some of us have plans which sort of require having 3.0 first.

[quote name='bfarber' date='12 March 2009 - 01:19 AM' timestamp='1236820749' post='1790064']
I'll simply say that our target release date is before June. Targets are hit sometimes, and missed others, but we're winding down now with bug reports. Largely the bug reports we've been getting lately are simply duplicates.

Im happy to wait, though Im putting off any serious work on my site in terms of mods and the like, until the release of the unencoded version and some decent developer documentation, what was released with IPB2 was rather lacking.

[quote name='chasz' date='12 March 2009 - 06:29 AM' timestamp='1236839348' post='1790089']
nooo, june is too late allowing vb to catch up.

Should have stuck to the core forum rather than running off with all the plugins

Isnt it about making a quality product then competing with a completely different company? Id think the former!

When is the Subscription Manager going to be added to IPB 3? I can not convert over until this happens.

Any updates being made to the subscription manager? I am one that feels a major overhaul is needed.

Is there a better way to manage subscriptions for the IP Services Board, blog, gallery etc?

Thank you,
Keith
www.whf-texas.org

Any updates being made to the subscription manager? I am one that feels a major overhaul is needed. Is there a better way to manage subscriptions for the IP Services Board, blog, gallery etc?
Really.. IPB 3 Beta is not meant to be used to upgrade a live site :o

However IP.Subscription is a simple rewrite of the old subscription system with no additions, a developer from IPS staff is upgrading it to work with IPB 3 (Josh or Jason if I don't mistake) and then it will become a community project after the final release of IPB 3.

When is the Subscription Manager going to be added to IPB 3? I can not convert over until this happens.

I'm happy that IPS is spending more time on dev and testing than originally specified (gold by 31st of December 2008 was extremely ambitious). We have to remember that vBulletin hasn't even gotten to a public preview page yet. I can guarantee that even if they brought a 4.0 preview out today, it would take them around 6 months to work through a bulk of the bugs. I would happily accept "before June" gold date.

Archived