Stripe Sources API EOL

Go to solution Solved by Stuart Silvester,

Hi,

I got an email from Stripe about my integration with Invision Community stating:

...on 15 May 2024, the legacy Sources API in your current integration will be turned off for all non-card payment methods. After this date, any Sources API calls for non-card payment methods will not be supported.

I am on the latest version of Invision Community (v4.7.16) so why is it using an outdated version of Stripe's API? I tried to find it in my community configuration to see if I can update it myself but cannot find it.
Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Any clue as to why I still keep getting this email from stripe?

I am on the latest self hosted version 4.7.16.

Hello,

This is a final reminder that on 15 May 2024, the legacy Sources API in your current integration will be turned off for all non-card payment methods. After this date, any Sources API calls for non-card payment methods will not be supported.

Please migrate your integration to the Payment Intents API to continue accepting Bancontact, iDEAL. For more time, you may request a one-off extension. If you do not plan to migrate, we recommend that you remove Bancontact, iDEAL from your checkout. If you do not take action to either update your integration or request an extension before 15 May 2024, your integration for Bancontact, iDEAL will break.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We switched from legacy API use from stripe quite some time ago

I thought that may be the case when I couldn't find anyone else asking about it here on the forums. Unfortunately that only partially answers my question though.

Why would my integration still be using an old version of the Stripe API when I've been updating Invision every time there was an update available?
Where is it located for me to update it myself?

Edited by Patrosaurus

Are you using any of the local payment methods such as Sofort, Alipay, Bancontact, giropay, iDEAL, Przelewy24 or WeChat Pay? It is these specifically that Stripe is removing support for. If you are, I would recommend removing the instances of the Stripe gateway that have these enabled.

These are still available in Invision Community at this time as options for Stripe but will be removed in a future release.

50 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You would need to ask them really. All I can tell you is we do not call the old API

No offence but this wasn't even remotely helpful. You've already said Invision doesn't use the Sources API any more, which was fine. I then asked why my installation of Invision is and you say the same thing again with an added "Ask someone else."
- Stripe will have no explanation as to why I'm using an old API, it's my application calling that API, not theirs. Hence me coming here to the people who provided the API in a software bundle to ask what the situation is.

36 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Are you using any of the local payment methods such as Sofort, Alipay, Bancontact, giropay, iDEAL, Przelewy24 or WeChat Pay? It is these specifically that Stripe is removing support for. If you are, I would recommend removing the instances of the Stripe gateway that have these enabled.

These are still available in Invision Community at this time as options for Stripe but will be removed in a future release.

Yes, I am using local payment methods. I'm not going to ask the burning question of why they're being removed in a future version of Invision Community, although I am curious about that.

Can it just be answered why my installation of the latest version 4 of Invision Community is using the Sources API that you apparently no longer use and how can I update it?

Posted (edited)

Yes, I am using Ideal, Bancontact and Sofort.

Stripe is not removing support for those.

How to update your integration

To update your integration, please follow the instructions in our migration docs, and then add Bancontact, iDEAL to your payment flow. If you use Stripe via a third-party integration, please contact the developer to download their latest version. For more information about third-party integrations, please refer to this support article.

You can visit our migration tooling in the Stripe Dashboard to view your recent Sources payments and confirm that you have no remaining traffic on Sources once your migration is complete.

If you have any questions or concerns, we have compiled answers to common questions on our support page. For more dedicated support, please submit this contact form, or chat directly with our developers on our Discord server.

If you have already made the necessary changes, please disregard this message.

— The Stripe team

Support for Ideal and Bancontact is ESSENTIAL for the existence of our forums. So I sincerely hope that IPS is not remove those, especially without informing customers.

Edited by Michel_72

More information will come up in the release which we remove it but we constantly evaluate features in the software which are seldomly used yet cause us overhead a lot of evaluating/developing/supporting them. This is not to say this will change in the future or that a third party can't add this payment method in for you. Regardless though, at the moment, it sounds like these are getting deprecated so will not be available from Stripe themselves.

20 minutes ago, Patrosaurus said:

No offence but this wasn't even remotely helpful. You've already said Invision doesn't use the Sources API any more, which was fine. I then asked why my installation of Invision is and you say the same thing again with an added "Ask someone else."
- Stripe will have no explanation as to why I'm using an old API, it's my application calling that API, not theirs. Hence me coming here to the people who provided the API in a software bundle to ask what the situation is.

Apologize that you found this not helpful. Sometimes without more information about the API usage involved, we're a little blind on why something may be getting reported that it is in use. In this case we could have reviewed your instance more or Stripe could have reported that you were using the API as outlined (they have this information as they're telling you you're using an outdated API 🙂 ). However, it is good to see that we got the answers we needed and apologize for any inconvenience here.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We switched from legacy API use from stripe quite some time ago

10 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

All I can tell you is we do not call the old API

File: /applications/nexus/sources/Gateway/Stripe/Stripe.php
Line 501 opens an if statement:

if ( \in_array( $settings['type'], array( 'alipay', 'bancontact', 'giropay', 'ideal', 'sofort' ) ) and !isset( $values[ $this->id . '_card' ] ) )

Within this if statement if found true on line 538, the application is instructed to use the deprecated sources API:

$response = $this->api( 'sources', $data );

Edited by Patrosaurus

Posted (edited)

Where do you get the information Stripe is 'dumping' Bancontact and Ideal? In Belgium Bancontact has a 78% payment penetration and in The Netherlands Ideal has 55%.

Stripe itself says they are NOT!

I and many other customers rely on Ideal and Bancontact, so I would be extremely unpleasantly surprised if IPS decides to deprecate Ideal and Bancontact payments. 

Edited by Michel_72

My apologies. There was some confusion here, as indeed we are using the correct API, but some items are being deprecated from that API. These are the items that are mentioned by my colleague above. (Sofort, Alipay, Bancontact, giropay, iDEAL, Przelewy24 or WeChat Pay). This has been brought up internally and we are looking into it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

If you use these specific payment methods, please upgrade to the latest beta release. Go to https://invisioncommunity.com/clientarea/purchases/, manage your purchase and enable beta access (or click download beta in the top right for Classic customers, then follow the instructions).