I need help with translating friendly URLs

Go to solution Solved by Meddysong,

Hello,

I'm trying to translate the friendly URLs of the community into my website's language, but I'm running into a problem with some applications that I can't translate. For example:

The real URL: app=calendar&module=calendar&controller=view&view=overview&do=featured
Is by default configured with the friendly URL: https://mydomain.com/events/featured
And I'm trying to translate it to https://mydomain.com/encuentros/destacado
But when I save the configuration, it gets stored as https://mydomain.com/events/encuentros/destacado, meaning, it shows the translated name of the application as another subdirectory of the application itself, but it doesn't allow me to directly translate the name.

This happens to me with several applications, however, with applications like Forums or Commerce, it doesn't happen.

Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong, or how I could translate the entire friendly URL?

Thank you for your help.
Do you know if there are any plans to correct this, or if there is a way to be able to use friendly URLs in a language other than English?

4 minutes ago, Verto said:

Thank you for your help.
Do you know if there are any plans to correct this, or if there is a way to be able to use friendly URLs in a language other than English?

This is not something we will be adding to the version 4 product line as this is a significant change in the system. However, we do not have any plans at this time to do this for version 5. You're more than welcome to suggest this though for the future in our Feedback forum.

7 minutes ago, Jim M said:

This is not something we will be adding to the version 4 product line as this is a significant change in the system. However, we do not have any plans at this time to do this for version 5. You're more than welcome to suggest this though for the future.

I understand. Thanks.

In principle I don't plan to upgrade to version 5, at least not for a long time, since I have a very customised community with my own and third-party applications and plugins, and I understand that it will take a lot of time and effort to adapt all that.

Bearing in mind that the horizon of my project does not contemplate major updates, at least in a couple of years, approximately how many updates can IPS version 4 still undergo before the end of its development?

I ask this question to try to solve the problem by modifying the FURL files, as I understand that, if I do so, I will have to repeat the process with each new update.

6 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

When they release IPS5, IPS4 won’t have any features or versions. At most, security updates.

So, I understand that I could modify the FURL file, since there won't be many updates.

And can you tell me if this modification can affect, in any way, the behaviour of the IPS software, or other applications?

18 hours ago, Verto said:

Bearing in mind that the horizon of my project does not contemplate major updates, at least in a couple of years, approximately how many updates can IPS version 4 still undergo before the end of its development?

We will continue to support Invision Community version 4 for a year or so after version 5 is released. There are no determination of releases or hard cut off date at this time. However, these releases will be more so security and bug fix releases, not new features.

18 hours ago, Verto said:

And can you tell me if this modification can affect, in any way, the behaviour of the IPS software, or other applications?

We do not recommend modifying the core files or this so this could indeed cause issues and render your community to not be supported any longer, I'm afraid.

In case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation to mine, I will try to explain briefly how I have solved the problem in my installation, following the advice you have given me.

I have put the IPS installation in Developers mode, and I have directly translated the title of the application in the topLevel of the furl.json file, for the Blog, Calendar, Gallery and Downloads applications, since the other applications do support the translation, from the friendly URLs configuration of the IPS control panel.

For example, the original line in the furl.json file in the data directory of the 'calendar' application was:

"topLevel": "events"

I modified it as follows:

"topLevel": "encuentros"

I then rebuilt the version of each modified application, from the applications panel, and disabled Developer Mode.  So far it doesn't seem to present any problems.

For the third-party applications, I have made a copy in which I modified the furl.json file directly in the .tar file, using 7zip so as not to break the TAR package structure, and reinstalled the application in IPS with the modified FURL, with no apparent problems so far.

34 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Source?

IPS.

2.3.6 was was the latest version from IP.Board 2. IP.Board 3 was released on October/2009. No more IP.Board 2 versions were released.

IP.Board 3.4.9 was the latest version from IP.Board 3. IPS4 was released on April/2015. No more IP.Board 3 versions were released.

I was here in both releases. You don’t.

Support was provided in both cases for a while after. That’s what happened and that’s what I was referring to. If it will happen differently now, I really don’t care.

4 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

3.4.8 and 3.4.9 were released after v4.0.0.

You are wrong, I have been a client since 15.01.2015 - and then I got a license for 4.0, including 3.4.9
And 3.4.8 existed long before 4.0.

4 minutes ago, Adlago said:

You are wrong, I have been a client since 15.01.2015 - and then I got a license for 4.0, including 3.4.9
And 3.4.8 existed long before 4.0.

p.s. we did silently release v4 and then announce it later. But still, it does show that there were v3 releases after v4. Not that it matters anyway, a lot of things have changed over 10 years.