Better badge look in Topic

SeNioR-

As a matter of opinion, I like the location of the badges. I feel far too many things are centered on "postbit" on most forums, which adds too much noise. The unification of everything neatly in its place means I often tune stuff out and forget something is there. Introducing a little harmless chaos to the layout gives the site character and makes it more attractive. If someone wanted it centered, they could perform a template edit or perhaps use some CSS. But I, for one, like the location 'as is.' 

As for the coloring of the badges, I believe that depends on the avatar. Where it is located can cause a bit of a color clash depending on what your avatar looks like. I am using Linux (openSUSE Tumbleweed) with Mozilla Firefox ( Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:89.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/89.0 ) and find no real issue. But for argument's sake, attached are a few random screenshots. 

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 17-08-41 Better badge look in Topic.png

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 17-08-29 Better badge look in Topic.png

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 17-08-24 Better badge look in Topic.png

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 17-08-10 Better badge look in Topic.png

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 17-07-57 Better badge look in Topic.png

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 17-07-44 Better badge look in Topic.png

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 17-07-34 Better badge look in Topic.png

Upon uploading my attached (see post above), I notice they look a little rough around the edges. But this being an alpha, I do not presume the images used were of HD quality, merely proof of concept.

18 minutes ago, Linux-Is-Best said:

I notice they look a little rough around the edges. But this being an alpha,

IPS staff should use SVG for all icons and there would be no problem with jagged or fuzzy icons. Wake up it's 2021...

I kindly ask that if you intend to quote me, please do so in complete sentences and not take what I say out of context to promote whatever agenda you may have.

32 minutes ago, Linux-Is-Best said:

But this being an alpha, I do not presume the images used were of HD quality, merely proof of concept.

By this, I mean, if the images are the problem, I do not expect the final product to look anything like this.  

Investigating further, the images themselves may not be the problem because this looks pretty clear to me. https://dne4i5cb88590.cloudfront.net/invisionpower-com/monthly_2021_04/1593791730_7_Collaborator.png.5bffd72ca5b86eb698fec4fce96944b6.png

This is not to say I disagree with you. As I am sure, a well-placed SVG could perhaps do better overall.  But please do not use my comments to attack anyone here, including the development or other clients.  

Thanks for your time and consideration. 🙂

Having the rank image there period is kinda ugly.  Something I'll def remove if we upgrade to 4.6.  Post profiles in general are really lacking structure and it's not cohesive at all in the style.  For example on this website, you have rather large blurry rank images on top of small circular profile photos, the contributor image has weird capsule shading, the Invision Staff image looks like someone randomly screenshotted a logo from somewhere else, and the client pips... The staff badge is also kinda useless since there are multiple other visual cues that make it obvious someone is staff.

First impression is that a handful of people all had very different ideas and someone allowed them all to contribute one thing each to make them happy.  🤣  Unless they reorganize some things or maybe even make the profile photo larger, it all just looks like clutter to me.  I've heavily edited my postcontainer template to get rid of the everything-center approach.

Edited by ahc
Editor has been working funky as of late. Keeps adding random spacing gaps.

9 hours ago, ahc said:

Having the rank image there period is kinda ugly.  Something I'll def remove if we upgrade to 4.6.  Post profiles in general are really lacking structure and it's not cohesive at all in the style.  For example on this website, you have rather large blurry rank images on top of small circular profile photos, the contributor image has weird capsule shading, the Invision Staff image looks like someone randomly screenshotted a logo from somewhere else, and the client pips... The staff badge is also kinda useless since there are multiple other visual cues that make it obvious someone is staff.

First impression is that a handful of people all had very different ideas and someone allowed them all to contribute one thing each to make them happy.  🤣  Unless they reorganize some things or maybe even make the profile photo larger, it all just looks like clutter to me.  I've heavily edited my postcontainer template to get rid of the everything-center approach.

Tell us how you really feel 😆 

Lol jk. We are always striving to offer the best UX. I think it's worth mentioning that functionality and look will continue to improve in all areas of IC, including Achievements :] 

Fortunately, there's a bunch of options for all to stylize things to match their own taste (it may require a bit of extra work, but if anyone needs help please feel free to create a topic!). 

• 2 months later...

I know this is thread is a little dated, but now that our site is on 4.6.0 I thought I'd share our "workaround" for Rank icons. We found them too obtrusive so we simply used a blank/transparent .png file to remove the Rank icon altogether. Not ideal, but until (or if) they become user/admin selectable then this was the least-worst option for us.

13 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I know this is thread is a little dated, but now that our site is on 4.6.0 I thought I'd share our "workaround" for Rank icons. We found them too obtrusive so we simply used a blank/transparent .png file to remove the Rank icon altogether. Not ideal, but until (or if) they become user/admin selectable then this was the least-worst option for us.

you can disable achievements if you don't want to use it. 
Regarding the rank icons, you can define your own if you're not satisfied with the default ones (that's what we've done in the community I own). You also can change the size and/or position of the badge (or even hide it by not displaying it) if you feel confident enough to modify the theme template and/or CSS files.