Google Core Web Vitals / Google December 2020 Core Update

Hi,

We've been badly hit by the Google December 2020 Core Update: our traffic comming from Google dropped 20% starting December 4th, 2020.

Investigating this further, I came across the Core Web Vitals, available at the Google Search Console, and our numbers are really bad there, especially for mobile. See screenshot below.

I am wondering if you guys are seeing the same (meaning this is something to be improved in the IPS software itself) or if this is caused by our custom modifications such as advertisement/banners.

Thanks in advance for any tips on this issue.

image.png.1097d31be4e0d41f72d34b0d2fb49d20.png

1 minute ago, Gabriel Torres said:

@Adlago Thanks, will work on that and get back to you as soon as I finish this.

Meanwhile, I was wondering if the CLS errors in Google Core Web Vitals were being thrown because of the IPS Lazy Loader feature.

No, that has nothing to do with it. The main delay in your site is long time FCP

324331046_Screenshotat2020-12-13004453.png.ef126ffb0cba91427ec2938c2396ebfa.png

Your CLS is negligibly small.

1 hour ago, Adlago said:

Fixed all that I could. There are still errors caused by:

(1) Cloudflare's Rocket Loader (A script element with a src attribute must not have a type attribute whose value is anything other than the empty string, a JavaScript MIME type, or module). I am not sure if there is anything we can do about those.

(2) Group Name Indicator plugin, which the developer has just fixed for us and we are waiting for approval at the marketplace.

I will take a closer look at the FCP/LCP metrics tomorrow. Pointers are welcome.

Thank you for your help! 🙂

Edited by Gabriel Torres

7 hours ago, Gabriel Torres said:

You will have some improvement in site loading speed if you use a preload font. Font awesome loads a file size of 75 kb and this creates a certain delay.
Try and paste the code below, into your global template, after close the footer tag (</footer>)

<link rel="preload" href="/applications/core/interface/font/fontawesome-webfont.woff2?v=4.7.0" as="font" type="font/woff2" crossorigin="anonymous">

@Adlago Many thanks for this tip, done that. I will investigate a little bit further every day, I made saveral small adjustments and fixes during this weekend. Let's wait and see how the metrics react to them.

I was just wondering why adding the font awesome preload at the end of the page and not at the start...

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Preloading_content

Edited by Gabriel Torres

On 12/18/2020 at 7:11 PM, Fast Lane! said:

I'm fairly certain the sidebars on the site are delayed when loaded causing CLS issues, largely on the desktop view.  

Thanks, the majority of errors are coming from mobile.

On 12/18/2020 at 7:11 PM, Fast Lane! said:

For ads just put a DIV around them with the size of the ad. That will fix the CLS issue. 

Yep, done that. That was exactly what was shifting the layout. Now I just need to wait until Google validate these changes. Thanks! 🙂

6 hours ago, Morgin said:

Cloudflare Rocket Loader usually breaks IPS, as a heads up. 

Really? What do you mean by "breaks IPS" exactly? Could you be more specific? Because we are using Rocket Loader for quite some time now and haven't seen any issues with it.

Edited by Gabriel Torres

24 minutes ago, Gabriel Torres said:

Really? What do you mean by "breaks IPS" exactly? Could you be more specific? Because we are using Rocket Loader for quite some time now and haven't seen any issues with it.

It can break the editor and cause it to not load in some cases. I'm not sure of the configuration options for Rocket Loader, so it may not be an issue for you. Every instance I've seen, disabling it resolved the issue.

30 minutes ago, Ryan Ashbrook said:

It can break the editor and cause it to not load in some cases. I'm not sure of the configuration options for Rocket Loader, so it may not be an issue for you. Every instance I've seen, disabling it resolved the issue.

Thanks @Ryan Ashbrook for detailing what @Morgin mentioned. I will disable it "just in case".

5 hours ago, Gabriel Torres said:

Yeah sorry! Horrible reply on my part. @Ryan Ashbrook covered one of the big issues I had which was that ckeditor would randomly fail to load or would load improperly so certain functions were disabled. I don’t know how to characterize it other than very weird and annoying bugs that didn’t happen every time so were hard to replicate, but always related to JavaScript. There were also times the entire site would just stop loading about halfway through initial paint so you were left with broken stylesheets etc. As soon as rocket loader was disabled, all of that went away