rebuild content in order to use lazy load? WHY?

HI

I decided I would try out lazy load and went to my ACP to turn it on. I was surprised to be asked if I wanted to rebuild my content.

I thought I knew how lazy load works but now I am confused.

• Why does this need to happen?
  • What exactly will happen if I rebuild my content?
  • What happens if I choose no?
  • can I change my mind later if I choose yes? Can I change my mind if I choose no?
  • I have over 1 million image attachments. Should I be worried?

Thank you 🙂

rebuild.JPG

3 minutes ago, opentype said:

The raw links to the images have to be removed, so they can be loaded dynamically when the user scrolls to them. No way around that. 

Thanks opentype, I didn't know how it worked.

Can you (or anyone else) elaborate a bit more specifically on some of bulleted questions above?

• Management

Why does this need to happen?

-  To replace data attributes in the HTML source stored within posts.

What exactly will happen if I rebuild my content?

-  A background task chugs through your posts to replace the data attributes.

What happens if I choose no?

can I change my mind later if I choose yes? Can I change my mind if I choose no?

- Yes, switch it off and then back on again.

I have over 1 million image attachments. Should I be worried?

Nope. Images are not touched or rebuilt in any way. Just the HTML markup in the database.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Lazy loading via the loading attribute is now supported by all major browsers, or 73.68% of all users, with Safari being the exception. I'm a Safari user myself, but I would love to see IPS utilising the built-in method of lazy loading with their custom scripts as a fallback.

On 9/10/2020 at 5:33 AM, Runar said:

Lazy loading via the loading attribute is now supported by all major browsers, or 73.68% of all users, with Safari being the exception. I'm a Safari user myself, but I would love to see IPS utilising the built-in method of lazy loading with their custom scripts as a fallback.

It's on our radar. We can only leverage these sorts of things once they hit critical mass and in the past this wasn't widely supported yet.