Eager for more of IPS!

Netherlord

Almost 2 years or somewhere near that with IPS now! Had issues at the start. Mainly down to my inexperience. I've lived, breathed and learned what i can from where i can. Even took my first venture into a little javascript and made something work the way i wanted which is neat. :sorcerer:

I am eager to see what else ips has to offer. I am running out of things to customize. Whether it is a third party plugin or the standard theme. I am eager for more. Because i have enjoyed everything you have offered me so far.

And the support staff always do what they can to help me and i derp a lot.

Would it be wrong of me to ask for a hint at future plans? I used to love drooling over the update roadmap. And would love to start thinking creatively about future possibilities.

FEED ME DARN IT! I NEED MORE PRODUCTS! I NEED MOAR GOOD STUFF!!

pls.png

51 minutes ago, Simon Woods said:

Whilst I'm sure they love your enthusiasm, you really are yelling into the void when asking for a roadmap or any firm information about future plans. :p

Worth a try though right?

39 minutes ago, superj707 said:

I want this too. I need to read some teasers.

:thumbsup:

Please, no. IPS already has too many addons for the community suite. I've been supporting IPS as a licensed user since January 2005 and while I've seen a lot of changes and additions (Gallery, Blog, Downloads, Forum, Content), I don't want to see the forum software become bloated with too much crap. I've had some members on my own community who doesn't want to see the platform become too bloated and many are satisfied with the few additions that I currently have a license for. I think that the addons that we currently have are enough for the community suite.

Would rather have communication about substantial things, like ongoing bugs or detailed reasoning behind changes such as integrating the ticket system into the bug tracker or why the documentation took so long to transfer to guides or why it is that every now and then staff will mention "something is coming soon" but then the date inevitably changes...

Or, and especially this, at least some sort of genuine explanation as to why seemingly basic features from competing software is missing.

Seriously, some behind-the-scenes stuff would be great.

Teasers? Nah. Instead:

• Make the thing
  • Never talk about it until you have it as locked down as possible ahead of time.
  • Then maybe do a slight preview to tease when you're literally a week or two away.
  • Release and immediately work on fixing bugs for it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy getting excited, sure. But I also want to have faith in the development of the software and a bunch of teasers for things in the style of a roadmap is just bad -- disappointment is inevitable, which only makes me doubt the progress of the software and to be quite honest I have enough to do with my own community to be stressing about IPS development in this way.

1 hour ago, liquidfractal said:

Yeah...I despise spoilers for film and TV, but I wouldn't mind a little bit of "coming next version" or something for IPS....^_^

I'm not even wanting major details... It would be wrong to expect such a thing so far in advance. But I'd settle for general direction. Maybe its already been mentioned?

7 minutes ago, Netherlord said:

I'm not even wanting major details... It would be wrong to expect such a thing so far in advance. But I'd settle for general direction. Maybe its already been mentioned?

Lindy has repeatedly spoken about 4.2 being about the social side of things -- reputation, profiles, etc. There will also apparently be some improvements to search, with a big improvement to search coming in 4.3 which appears to be planned for before the end of the year.

1 hour ago, Simon Woods said:

Lindy has repeatedly spoken about 4.2 being about the social side of things -- reputation, profiles, etc. There will also apparently be some improvements to search, with a big improvement to search coming in 4.3 which appears to be planned for before the end of the year.

Ah this is good to know!

I completely agree with this thread. I feel that Ipb is not moving at the right speed.

My personnal wishlist still crave for : 

• Multi databases support (master/slave etc.)
  • Real search (sphinx/elasticsearch whatever)
  • Ipboard profling gears (I lost so much response time with 3-> 4 migration)
  • Better plugin documentation

8 hours ago, Ulrich said:

I completely agree with this thread. I feel that Ipb is not moving at the right speed.

My personnal wishlist still crave for : 

• Multi databases support (master/slave etc.)
  • Real search (sphinx/elasticsearch whatever)
  • Ipboard profling gears (I lost so much response time with 3-> 4 migration)
  • Better plugin documentation

Lets be fair. Im not being critical of ips. I am just hungry for more. More plugin/app devs could do that :)

I wouldn't mind (although members are happy) some improvements with the downloads. Members much like the download system. However, added stats and such would be nice. The main issue I am having (according to member feedback) are stats more the anything else. 

I've been given the impression that requests have a better chance of being met with at least some sort of answer if they are put into individual topics in this forum in as clear language as possible. Whilst wishlists are great (I actually think a vote-based system for requests would work well), I'm not sure IPS prioritise topics with lots of different kinds of feature requests across various posts like in this one.

49 minutes ago, Simon Woods said:

Whilst wishlists are great (I actually think a vote-based system for requests would work well)

I always thought the "Questions" format should have been flexible enough to accommodate this idea. It's the same thing but all the templates are geared to Questions where with a little love they could also be for Ideas, etc.

Just now, David T. Cole said:

I always thought the "Questions" format should have been flexible enough to accommodate this idea. It's the same thing but all the templates are geared to Questions where with a little love they could also be for Ideas, etc.

Yes! Same here, they always looked close to that. I do this on my site but it's within individual Questions (topics, as they're still called by my members); I encourage members to vote on replies but it would be good to have something built specifically to the vote structure. Heh, guess I should make a topic to request it.

• Management

Firstly, thank you for your enthusiasm! 

The best way to keep track of what we're up to beyond the news forum is to follow the release notes section - we detail what's coming in the next release (and this does change.) 

I also try to be relatively transparent in public postings from a broad perspective. As I've said previously, 4.2 is going to be a strong engagement release with some really exciting things like visitor engagement (register while posting, complete your profile, etc.), enhancements on the new leaderboard feature, significant reputation and group enhancements and quite a lot more. 

IPS4 was a ground-up platform. We've been honest in saying it took longer than anticipated to solidify the platform and forge the right path... that was ultimately our goal before pressing forward with features -- build a rock solid foundation. We achieved that goal towards the middle of last year and we've been rocking it since as the release notes will show. This year will bring the big ticket items you've been waiting for and yes, this includes external search support (4.3.) :) 

The release notes will show what we've done for 4.1.18 which should go from beta to production very shortly. 4.1.19 will add a couple of Gallery improvements, a few action-items from the feedback forum, many performance improvements (that has been our engineering focus since the holidays) and behind the scenes, 4.2 will be underway. 

Thanks again for the enthusiasm, support and patience. Stay tuned. 

I think there should be more focus on documentation, especially on the customization/dev side of things - having a well-documented API goes a long way in helping your product grow a robust, well-maintained Marketplace for addons and modules.

In addition, well-written and thorough administrative documentation/tips offer support to the non-technical folks without having to constantly engage Support for things that should be written down somewhere and available to license holders.

I'm not saying IPS doesn't have that, but putting more of a focus on it than what is currently there would be the best investment in engaging the user community.

3 hours ago, Joy Rex said:

I think there should be more focus on documentation, especially on the customization/dev side of things - having a well-documented API goes a long way in helping your product grow a robust, well-maintained Marketplace for addons and modules.

In addition, well-written and thorough administrative documentation/tips offer support to the non-technical folks without having to constantly engage Support for things that should be written down somewhere and available to license holders.

I'm not saying IPS doesn't have that, but putting more of a focus on it than what is currently there would be the best investment in engaging the user community.

What i think would be useful is an user created html examples section somewhere... Let people show off the little tricks they know with ips. That could spur a lot of creative effort within the community. I imagine that would help :) but i have not given it enough thought so probably an issue exists with that somewhere!

13 hours ago, Lindy said:

Firstly, thank you for your enthusiasm! 

The best way to keep track of what we're up to beyond the news forum is to follow the release notes section - we detail what's coming in the next release (and this does change.) 

I also try to be relatively transparent in public postings from a broad perspective. As I've said previously, 4.2 is going to be a strong engagement release with some really exciting things like visitor engagement (register while posting, complete your profile, etc.), enhancements on the new leaderboard feature, significant reputation and group enhancements and quite a lot more. 

IPS4 was a ground-up platform. We've been honest in saying it took longer than anticipated to solidify the platform and forge the right path... that was ultimately our goal before pressing forward with features -- build a rock solid foundation. We achieved that goal towards the middle of last year and we've been rocking it since as the release notes will show. This year will bring the big ticket items you've been waiting for and yes, this includes external search support (4.3.) :) 

The release notes will show what we've done for 4.1.18 which should go from beta to production very shortly. 4.1.19 will add a couple of Gallery improvements, a few action-items from the feedback forum, many performance improvements (that has been our engineering focus since the holidays) and behind the scenes, 4.2 will be underway. 

Thanks again for the enthusiasm, support and patience. Stay tuned. 

Not a single problem with any of that :) Excited!

6 hours ago, Joy Rex said:

+100

Archived