After every update I REALLY hate IPS

Admonstrator

Hi there,

I'm sorry that my topic title is such unfriendly but I'm really pissed off right now. I just updated to version 4.1.8.1 and there are so f*cking many bugs in it that I could cry. Why isn't it possible to fix bugs instead of building new features? I paid a lot of money for this piece of software and every update is making it (more!) worse than before.

I know that it's not possible to build software without bugs. But it's completely unacceptable that every update creates a hugh number of known (and sometimes already fixed!) bugs. I'm using IPS without any special modifications (just a bunch of pretty easy plugins) so it's just a product which should work out-of-the-box. But in fact every update creates more issues than it solves.

Let us take the gallery as an example:
It's mostly useless in the current state of development. Picture owners are not allowed to delete images (it's only allowed if the owner is able to delete content - which includes ALL content), the upload process is worse (you can upload images to the description...), unstable (just try to upload a hugh amount of pictures from a mobile device) and buggy (some known interface bugs I submitted by ticket). Every time somebody tells me that "the next version will fix my issues" - and nope. Still a bunch of bugs.

But yey, now it's possible to see pictures in different sizes (which will destroy the complete design because of reasons) and you can see the GPS location of a picture directly on a map. (Which is enabled by default ... privacy gore! I had to disable it by editing the template for viewing images ... ) - so there are no bug fixes but "new features" - and now I'm asking myself: Why?! 

Next example:
Status feed. Still buggy. I created a ticket a few weeks ago and a bug was solved - now the bug is back again. And again: Why? Just try to create a status update by using the widget while viewing a topic. You will post automatically a new status to a user which does have to same user ID as the topic ID. It's okay that such bugs are existing - but it's not okay that I have to reopen (or recreate) old tickets because the bug is back. 

Another example?
Calendar widget ... it worked fine in 4.1.7 - now it's broken.

Last but not least: Bugs are claimed to be fixed but they are not.
Not even in tickets but in the bug tracker too - like this example. 

I'm very unhappy right now because the quality of service is just worse. If this would be a software for just a couple of dollar - OK - but I paid more than 300$ for a product which isn't working as intended. Because every update creates such a pain too me I was playing around with a staging/testing environment. Found a bug and created an support request. I got an answer really fast but unfortunately it sounds like a bad joke:

Hello,
Given this is the same issue, I would advise you still upgrade live to 418 (after all, you cannot break something which is already broken). This way when it gets resolved, it is resolved on your live site for you and you are ready to go. If you have any other reason for not upgrading of course, please let me know.

Yeah, just upgrade to a new version of our software on your live environment even if there are bugs you don't want to have - sounds great.

So please stop touching features if they are working.
Please do more testing.
Please start to fix the gallery app. 
Please don't lie about bug reports like "fixed in 4.1.x"

I would really appreciate if IPS won't make me crying and gettin' angry after an update because old issues are back.

Thanks,
Admon

heck I can feel for you for sure @Admonstrator Ive sat here for months of frustrating nights and still not launched my business yet. Just seems one thing after another at the moment. I think the devs are getting frustrated too cos their apps all go haywire and then we all give them a ticking off too.

IPS you need more good staff each working on different areas and making sure it gells and works faster than it is. I know it cant be easy but having us poor peeps in floods of tears of frustrations and anger isnt good at all.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: floods

While I seem to be fairly lucky in these bugs not affecting my site I've been where you two are before.  It's such a frustrating experience to get everything where you want it, just to see it broken again due to something that should have FIXED the problems, not made them worse.  I get worried when I see posts like this because I've invested (along with my community) money into a reliable system.  You see things like this and you think "God... here we go again, another platform change..."  

3 minutes ago, DesignzShop said:

You both literally cry?

In German you would say "cry" because you are angry and this whole thing is just stupid. I don't know if there is an english word which would better fit.

3 minutes ago, socceronly said:

What show stopping bug is stopping you from starting your business?   

Maybe there are no show-stoppers. But every user will rate issues on a different way.

2 minutes ago, socceronly said:

I have had no complaints with a pretty steady forum.

Is it your installation/server setup?    I'm on cloud... it just works.

But maybe I am really missing something.

That could be exactly why you're having zero issues - However problems do exist.  I agree that more often than not it does come down to local setups and little tweaks here and there but products provided by IPS that worked before shouldn't stop working on an update.  If part of ones business relies on a functioning site (which many do) it can indeed be a show stopper.  You know, that thing about "first impressions"  

8 minutes ago, DesignzShop said:

It's just software? I think? You both literally cry? :blink: I may be able to understand some frustration, maybe even beating your head on a desk for a few times,  but crying? I really hope you wouldn't be that frustrated.

Kind Regards

lol yeah.  For me ive had many eves wanting to throw my laptop up the wall (  its not the laptops fault poor thing btw)... and yeah the frustration can end up near to tears.  Some might say im lucky cos I've not got 1000s of members screaming at me. But Ive not any members at all cos I thought all I had to do was learn this IPS from ACP and build a really nice business. Hard to learn it with so many darn faults tho isnt it? Im just scared of letting people in. Someone said let them in and then ask them to tell you off all the things that seem wrong. whats the point of that if I know what they are gonna be asking me already?

I've given up on the updates.

It feels like no sooner do I download one, than a new one appears.

So I've just stopped.

I used to upgrade religiously with every old release, now I just wait based on a time of year of my choosing and go with what's current at that point and no longer "next release".

It seems the only way to stay sane.

7 minutes ago, socceronly said:

I have had no complaints with a pretty steady forum.

Is it your installation/server setup?    I'm on cloud... it just works.

But maybe I am really missing something.

well im not sure they classed as bugs. Its just things that are wrong. The latest for me being the silly gallery images decription box. As the gallery is important to my site why let people get all confused with it as I am?  Heading for disaster and they will leave and never come back

1 minute ago, kar3n2 said:

lol yeah.  For me ive had many eves wanting to throw my laptop up the wall (  its not the laptops fault poor thing btw)... and yeah the frustration can end up near to tears.  Some might say im lucky cos I've not got 1000s of memebrs screaming at me. But Ive not any members at all cos I thought all I had to do was learn this IPS from ACP and build a really nice business. Hard to learn it with so many darn faults tho isnt it? Im just scared of letting people in. Someone said let them in and then ask them to tell you off all the tings that seem worng. whats the point of that if I know what they are gonna be asking me already?

At some point you need to open the doors to at least some friends?  I have a very small community right now whom I am lucky point things out that need to be tweaked or addressed.  Without that feedback, some issues I wouldn't even know existed.  I've found in my own experience many problems get reported from the user as some of them strangely don't show up for the administrator.  Some of them have been end user issues, while others have actually been flaws in the system.  It's important to have at least some folks you trust using your site so you can get the feedback.

1 minute ago, pilotguy said:

At some point you need to open the doors to at least some friends?  I have a very small community right now whom I am lucky point things out that need to be tweaked or addressed.  Without that feedback, some issues I wouldn't even know existed.  I've found in my own experience many problems get reported from the user as some of them strangely don't show up for the administrator.  Some of them have been end user issues, while others have actually been flaws in the system.  It's important to have at least some folks you trust using your site so you can get the feedback.

yeah thanks. Ive got to try something and ask some friends to help now.  Working your way through it all on your todd is very hard

Just now, pilotguy said:

I should add that running a site is a never ending thankless job lol!  

yeah can imagine but at least its running  HOPEFULLY

6 minutes ago, PoC2 said:

I've given up on the updates.

It feels like no sooner do I download one, than a new one appears.

So I've just stopped.

I used to upgrade religiously with every old release, now I just wait based on a time of year of my choosing and go with what's current at that point and no longer "next release".

It seems the only way to stay sane.

does that work then?  lets say we dont update for the next 3 or 4 upgrades. Will it just be able to jump from our current one to the 4th in line ok?

imho, is best a software house that release a new version every day if is necessary (if exist important bugs to fix).

I dream a perfect cms that not require update and work whit all my requested feature in eternity, but this can't be exist (this is utopistic).

ips4 is a new software, and a new software require a period of (i don't know how i can explain in english... sorry)... require some time to be optimized, to be stable!

ipb 3.4 series is more stable than 4, i think. but ips 4.1 does one click self update, mobile optimized and many new feature than 3.4 (for sure is more usable and modern). this is a great feature and isn't a great problem if ips release a new version every day.

-

every new version is something something that is fixed (i hope) :D

and if new feature is added what is the problem? here exist a team. someone, i think, for new feature, someone for bug, someone for markeeting ecc

21 minutes ago, PoC2 said:

Sounds like a fair solution but it does not work if reported bugs are claimed to be fixed in a future version. So I have to fix bugs by myself or have to update to every new version because the bugs might disappear in the newer version.

4 minutes ago, laltroweb.it said:

ips4 is a new software, and a new software require a period of (i don't know how i can explain in english... sorry)... require some time to be optimized, to be stable!

Sorry, but I can't agree. If you sell your software you have to be sure that it's already optimized. We are not talking about a beta - it's a released software with bugs like a beta :( // As I mentioned: Bugs are OK for me - but most bugs seem to be a problem of less testing and some kind of "we need to create more features"-philosophy.

7 minutes ago, Admonstrator said:

Sounds like a fair solution but it does not work if reported bugs are claimed to be fixed in a future version. So I have to fix bugs by myself or have to update to every new version because the bugs might disappear in the newer version.

Sorry, but I can't agree. If you sell your software you have to be sure that it's already optimized. We are not talking about a beta - it's a released software with bugs like a beta :( // As I mentioned: Bugs are OK for me - but most bugs seem to be a problem of less testing and some kind of "we need to create more features"-philosophy.

Admonstrator: this software is for thousand of website, whit many different webserver, different cpanel, different admin (and is important) xD

really! every piece of code cannot work fine from starting in every circumstance.

eg: windows do not work fine in every pc. it release update every months (many MB of update - and sometime also big servicepack)!

21 minutes ago, kar3n2 said:

yeah can imagine but at least its running  HOPEFULLY

does that work then?  lets say we dont update for the next 3 or 4 upgrades. Will it just be able to jump from our current one to the 4th in line ok?

I do not skip updates (in this 4.X version) because I am worried it if I skip one it will cause an unknown error because of the quality of this software. If you want to see how fast issues crop up, after each update go to IPS4 Resources -> Bug Tracker -> Active Reports. This gives you an idea of what may be encountered. I do not agree with the other gentleman's comment that even daily updates are good: they are bad and it gives a good indication of the software's quality control.

tnn: I did not say that are good. my comment is:

imho, is best a software house that release a new version every day if is necessary (if exist important bugs to fix).

(maybe u prefer software house "ah, a critical bug? ok, next months, maybe... if i've time...")

regards...

12 minutes ago, Admonstrator said:

I think the issues are the amount of bugs generated after each release and pending bug issues from prior versions.

Most all software will have bugs but a good comparison is Wordpress Vs. IPS. Which software would make you "cry less" for its intended purpose. Does not matter what software it is - what is the frustration level regarding its usage. :)

02/02/2016 18:57

WordPress 4.4.2 is now available. This is a security release for all previous versions and we strongly encourage you to update your sites immediately.

WordPress versions 4.4.1 and earlier are affected by two security issues: a possible SSRF for certain local URIs, reported by Ronni Skansing; and an open redirection attack, reported by Shailesh Suthar.

In addition to the security issues above, WordPress 4.4.2 fixes 17 bugs from 4.4 and 4.4.1. For more information, see the release notes or consult the list of changes.

-

So, wordpress isn't perfect and also wordpress is update frequetly:

-

06/01/2016 21:07

WordPress 4.4.1 is now available. This is a security release for all previous versions and we strongly encourage you to update your sites immediately.

WordPress versions 4.4 and earlier are affected by a cross-site scripting vulnerability that could allow a site to be compromised. This was reported by Crtc4L.

release update every months, and security issue + many other bugfix.

ps: i've some blogs with wordpress, and dev some plugin. i know wordpress from many years and wordpress is total a different type of software.

11 minutes ago, laltroweb.it said:

release update every months, and security issue + many other bugfix.

No problem with a good working release cycle - but wordpress does not create so many issues in every update than IPS does.
In fact I never had an issue with wordpress in the core functionality since ... 6-7 years?

51 minutes ago, kar3n2 said:

well im not sure they classed as bugs. Its just things that are wrong. The latest for me being the silly gallery images decription box. As the gallery is important to my site why let people get all confused with it as I am?  Heading for disaster and they will leave and never come back

I think you are talking about features and usability stuff. Another one is the "Who's Online" that does not work the same as the 3.x version which was way more user friendly and made sense. It was definitely more popular. Others have brought up that topic too. 

10 minutes ago, laltroweb.it said:

IPS 4, i think, is a bit more complex of a simple blog engine.

Yeah, but you can't say that more bugs are OK just because the program is more complex. If IPS is not able to handle all apps they should not distribute them.
They need a team for these different apps, I think. One core team for core-things, one team for gallery ... but they mixed up everything which causes many issues and frustration.

And some important thing: We pay for the IPS suite, updates & support. Wordpress is a free software.

Archived