Another update, another broken forum.

The.Reaper

I am getting quite frustrated with how these updates are being rolled out as of late, the past 5 updates i have tried implementing onto my forums have broken the forums and left us for days if not weeks without any updates or decent replies, recently it seems every time i post a support ticket it has to go to 2-3 people before it actually gets to the person that can help me, i understand that that IPS4 is new and there will be bugs but come on.. do you guys even test these updates before sending them out?

My most recent issue is with the upgrade to 4.1.6, when running the automatic updater the screen went black and now i am receiving a Server Error when trying to access my forums, there is no error code or explanation on why this is happening just "Server Error 500".

I fear i will ultimately end up having to wait another week of being moved to a "New Support Tier" before finally being put with someone that can help me.

Sorry for the rant but you must understand my frustration being the 5th update in a row that has given me a problem.

http://ancient-fury.com/Forum/

41 minutes ago, Pross22 said:

Did you look at the server log to see what the 500 error actually is?

I had a brief look at the apache logs and could not make sense of anything, i was practically looking at another language.

[Mon Jan 04 20:52:52.707330 2016] [:error] [pid 1155] [client 192.88.135.8:54011] PHP Warning:  Uncaught exception 'ErrorException' with message 'require_once(/var/www/html/Forum/system/Output/Output.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied' in /var/www/html/Forum/init.php:276\nStack trace:\n#0 /var/www/html/Forum/init.php(276): IPS\\IPS::errorHandler(2, 'require_once(/v...', '/var/www/html/F...', 276, Array)\n#1 /var/www/html/Forum/init.php(276): IPS\\IPS::autoloader()\n#2 [internal function]: IPS\\IPS::autoloader('IPS\\\\Output')\n#3 /var/www/html/Forum/system/Dispatcher/Standard.php(50): spl_autoload_call('IPS\\\\Output')\n#4 /var/www/html/Forum/system/Dispatcher/Front.php(567): IPS\\Dispatcher\\_Standard::baseCss()\n#5 /var/www/html/Forum/system/Dispatcher/Front.php(67): IPS\\Dispatcher\\_Front::baseCss()\n#6 [internal function]: IPS\\Dispatcher\\_Front->init()\n#7 /var/www/html/Forum/init.php(434) : eval()'d code(27): call_user_func_array('parent::init', Array)\n#8 /var/www/html/Forum/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(86): IPS\\Dispatcher\\hook7->init()\n#9 /var/www/html/Forum/index.php(13): IPS\\_Dispatcher::i()\n#10 {m in /var/www/html/Forum/init.php on line 276

[Mon Jan 04 20:52:52.707388 2016] [:error] [pid 1155] [client 192.88.135.8:54011] PHP Fatal error:  IPS\\IPS::autoloader(): Failed opening required '/var/www/html/Forum/system/Output/Output.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /var/www/html/Forum/init.php on line 276

same issue here. I attempted the auto update and got an error, then manual downloaded the update, uploaded, then logged in to update, and got this error  message" /home/content/67/9110567/html/username/forum/system/Db/Select.php::321 "

sigh... very frustrating, stressful and very bad for business.. 

By the error, I'd suspect the OP is missing files? Try doing a fresh download from client center and re-upload, the error is basically saying it cannot locate the Output class on disk, or it cannot read the file itself due to permissions. Also check the permissions on the files in the /system/ directory and sub-directories, PHP needs to be able to read and execute them.

15 minutes ago, NoGi said:

Did you guys get the same error on your test site when testing the upgrade?

shouldn't the IPS people test their updates before releasing a forum destroying bomb on their paying customers, and be on alert to fix the problems their "updates" create after releasing them?  This was not a beta update that was released "test at your own risk". I was told yo update to see if it fixes a bug I reported.

45 minutes ago, Michael Parent said:

same issue here. I attempted the auto update and got an error, then manuall downloaded the update, uploaded, then logged in to update, and got this error  message" /home/content/67/9110567/html/brashmonkey/forum/system/Db/Select.php::321 "

sigh... very frustrating, stressful and very bad for business.. 

Thats the error i got earlier..

IPS fixed it for me.. here is the reply..

Have you customized any email templates? The problem was that the emailWrapper email template was marked as having a parent template, however that parent did not exist, which caused the error. I have manually fixed that issue, and the upgrade is now complete.

• Management
27 minutes ago, Michael Parent said:

shouldn't the IPS people test their updates before releasing a forum destroying bomb on their paying customers, and be on alert to fix the problems their "updates" create after releasing them?  This was not a beta update that was released "test at your own risk". I was told yo update to see if it fixes a bug I reported.

We of course test releases before they are made public :) We also put out betas for public testing too. In this case we had a beta out to clients for nearly 2 weeks before 4.1.6 was released. Unfortunately we can never account for all the possible customizations users can make and sometimes things do happen. We do welcome you participating in beta tests to help us catch these things in the future.

I contacted our publisher and am waiting for verification, but I think he may have made a template tweak to the outgoing emails specifically for gift cards, because even if one updates the image for gift cards for the store, the email sends the generic gift card image. Please fix that so we don;t feel the need to "customize" templates after every update.

Thanks.

44 minutes ago, Michael Parent said:

OK so some of you may be (or not) new to this so I'll try and explain this better.

It doesn't matter how much testing a vendor does, don't assume it will work 100% on your site. Unless you have a hosted site with IPS, there are so many variables that could kill the upgrade process for your site which you simply couldn't expect IPS to be aware of. Some of the obvious examples here include 3rd party plugins and themes that break the forum on an upgrade. Others are less obvious such as library versions installed on your OS or any custom work that you may have done.

If you are running a forum that can't suffer downtime then you should have a test environment setup that replicates your live site exactly down to the version of software installed. So, when an update or new plugin is released, you can test away and assess the risk of installing to your live site. Your IPS license even allows for this by adding -TESTINSTALL at the end of the license key on the test site. Just be sure to put the site behind a password (.htacess) to comply with the license conditions.

When I took over my forum, it had no test site and suffered many outages with rogue updates to 3rd party apps. It wasn't till I setup a test environment and started to test before releasing onto my live site before outages related to software updates became a thing of the past.

Forgot to mention, a test site is even more important now as we approach a time where we maybe able to move to php7 once some of the pre-reqs are sorted. You certainly don't want to be production testing the php7 upgrade process.

jee, i have a not-so-broken site...the menus are not working, there is no javascript/php/sql/nginx errors reported.. I upgrade on 31/12..today support suggested to upgrade from .5 to .6 which got it fixed but only for me, in the pc at work...had to open another support ticket, i hope to have a reply soon ¬¬

12 minutes ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

A testboard is no guarantee that it will work on a high trafic site.

No it's not but it goes a long way to remove a lot of the issues that reported here on production sites due to failed upgrades. That said, there may be some testing tools where you can script up simple forum functions and then simulate load. I used to do this in the past with custom apps, might look again to see if there is something suitable.

10 hours ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

I upgraded my testboard and on the frontpage I have the following message

Screenshot_4.thumb.jpg.b4ed86903ce6fdf9a

In ACP I have the following message

Screenshot_5.jpg.160d833697fe58e8f2ec83a

So running supportool is impossible . is there a shortcut?

I get the same issue on my test board, you can still get to the shortcut via the search bar. It didn't fix my issue though. The log shows this for me:

Tue, 05 Jan 2016 09:36:00 +0000 (Severity: 2)
60.231.67.142 - http://forum.com.au/forum/admin/?adsess=ionjjd40ld92m4837s42odjmo5&app=core&module=support&controller=systemLogs&do=view&title=latest_template_error.php&method=none
ErrorException
256: Class IPS\nexus\Support\Request could not be loaded. Ensure it has been properly prefixed with an underscore and is in the correct namespace.
#0 [internal function]: IPS\IPS::errorHandler(256, 'Class IPS\nexus...', '/var/www/html/f...', 293, Array)
#1 /var/www/html/forum/init.php(293): trigger_error('Class IPS\nexus...', 256)
#2 [internal function]: IPS\IPS::autoloader('IPS\nexus\Suppo...')
#3 /var/www/html/forum/applications/nexus/Application.php(213): spl_autoload_call('IPS\nexus\Suppo...')
#4 /var/www/html/forum/system/Theme/Theme.php(692) : eval()'d code(84): IPS\nexus\_Application->acpMenuNumber('app=nexus&modul...')
#5 [internal function]: IPS\Theme\class_core_admin_global->appmenu(Array, 'core')
#6 /var/www/html/forum/system/Theme/SandboxedTemplate.php(57): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#7 /var/www/html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Admin.php(238): IPS\Theme\_SandboxedTemplate->__call('appmenu', Array)
#8 /var/www/html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Admin.php(238): IPS\Theme\SandboxedTemplate->appmenu(Array, 'core')
#9 /var/www/html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(86): IPS\Dispatcher\_Admin->init()
#10 /var/www/html/forum/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher::i()
#11 {main}
------------------------------------------------------------------------

15 hours ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

A testboard is no guarantee that it will work on a high trafic site.

I upgraded my testboard and on the frontpage I have the following message

Screenshot_4.thumb.jpg.b4ed86903ce6fdf9a

In ACP I have the following message

Screenshot_5.jpg.160d833697fe58e8f2ec83a

So running supportool is impossible . is there a shortcut?

To you have the Rules app installed? It does not support 4.1.6 yet.

Archived