Upgrade from IP. 3.4.x to IPS4.0 (updated)

Ok I know maybe it has been answered but here what I did and did not work for me

http://www.mywebsite.com/forum/ my board is right here

http://www.mywebsite.com/test/ I am duplicating board (test) right here

Changed the License with -TESTINSTALL extension version. I have created test database and changed all the variables in config file and in admin CP. Did all the recache (cache and skin and apps). Also deleted all the caches. Trying to test the test board, landing page is working but the rest (including topics, posts or apps) giving me 404 not found.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, license page after changing test install version, there is an expiration date December 10 2015 and all the apps and forum has red (not active) sign

license.thumb.jpg.4454bbc8fa45369df7a284

Umm... the domain name is not correct.
Could you please change the urls to the correct ones for us to be able to have a look?

Assuming you deleted the cache prior to recacheing, did you also change all the urls in topics, posts, config tables etc. to the correct ones?

Kind regards, Wim

Edited by wimg

1 hour ago, media said:

Ok I know maybe it has been answered but here what I did and did not work for me

http://www.mywebsite.com/forum/ my board is right here

http://www.mywebsite.com/test/ I am duplicating board (test) right here

Changed the License with -TESTINSTALL extension version. I have created test database and changed all the variables in config file and in admin CP. Did all the recache (cache and skin and apps). Also deleted all the caches. Trying to test the test board, landing page is working but the rest (including topics, posts or apps) giving me 404 not found.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, license page after changing test install version, there is an expiration date December 10 2015 and all the apps and forum has red (not active) sign

license.thumb.jpg.4454bbc8fa45369df7a284

Did you also add this to your constants.php

Is redirections from 3.4.8 type FURLs ( mysite.com/topic/1-topictitle )  to  4.0 ones ( mysite.com/forums/topic/1-topictitle )  done automatically when you upgrade ?

I am planning to upgrade my site tomorrow and I do not want to loose Google indexes ;) 

Edited by ABGenc

3 hours ago, Woodsman said:

As long as you have both URL and database pointing correctly in the conf_global.php. Then yes

I must have missed this point if it was mentioned before . My test site is a one to one copy of my prod and it was upgraded to 4.0 around 4.0.5 but I can't see anything related to it.

What should be in the config file ?

Edited by ABGenc

1 hour ago, ABGenc said:

I must have missed this point if it was mentioned before . My test site is a one to one copy of my prod and it was upgraded to 4.0 around 4.0.5 but I can't see anything related to it.

What should be in the config file ?

The conf_global.php is in your forum root directory.

It will look similar to this

<?php

$INFO = array (
  'sql_host' => 'localhost',
  'sql_database' => '410b2',
  'sql_user' => 'root user name',
  'sql_pass' => 'your password',
  'sql_port' => 3306,
  'sql_socket' => '',
  'sql_tbl_prefix' => '',
  'sql_utf8mb4' => true,
  'board_start' => 1444414185,
  'installed' => true,
  'base_url' => 'http://localhost/410b2/',
  'guest_group' => 2,
  'member_group' => 3,
  'admin_group' => 4,
);

sql_host - Needs to point to the exact location where the database is stored.

sql_database - Needs to point to your database

base_url - Needs to point to your URL.

Your conf_global.php may also appear to be of the previous versions but this is OK as long as the above is all your correct information

Edited by Woodsman

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 10:41:34, Woodsman said:

Ran a PM your way as well

Finally figured it out....

I used putty to copy the live board to test folder, somehow putty did not copy the .htaccess file on root directory of my board... Spent days and days to figure this out...

All good and working right now, I am upgrading tonight...

Wish me luck :)

I would like to report back to here after upgrading to 4.0

Upgrade went pretty smooth accept couple problem but I have searched here and found solution....

1. I got this error

and I applied the fix in that post

2. I got this error

and I applied the fix in that post

And upgrade was complete and Then I have accessed the ACP first time

Then setup a cronjob, but I had little problem on that one, the system showing a different path than my php path, I had to figured that out

Then first the system did not tell me that I have to chomed the task.php to (0777)

Then i did that one too

Then all complete and background process is running and I will check on that tomorrow morning....

That's all guys

I have upgraded my site from 3.4.8 to 4.0.13.1 succesfully too with only some minor problems . Here are the details ;

• During upgrade process I had a table corruption causing  "Error : Incorrect key file for table 'ips_core_notifications'; try to repair it " Tried to repair both thorugh cPanel or command line using putty but it did not help. Finally I found out that truncating the table was the solution. After doing this and a Retry, upgrade was succesfully finished in around half an hour
  • Background processes last almost 16 hours ( I manually ran it ) . That was more than I expected. ( 500.000+ posts might be the cause :lol: )
  • I realised a forum's permission was altered causing new members unable to post their introduction messages. 
  • Gallery pictures were incaccesable cause picture URLs were prefixed by site adress (as http://www.sitename.com/http://www.sitename.com/gallery/image/1844-imag3334/ ) . Support quickly fixed it saying it was a bug of the upgrade process
  • The "Click and Edit" feature for titles was unusable cause the java script was not put in place during upgrade which was again fixed by support quickly.

Special thanks to IPS Support as the replies and fixes were quite fast. 

And another thanks to @Woodsman for this great topic ;) 

And a final note. I was not sure how the site would perform after the upgrade in terms of response times and page creation. The site performs quite fast till now ( 2 core, 2 GB memory VPS ) . I have memcached installed but not applied it to IPS4 yet cause had some errors on test installation and have read there are some problems with memcached-4.0.13.1 which will be fixed in 4.1

Anyone having 4.0.13.1+memcahced configuration without any problem ? 

Hello guys,

I am not sure if this has been asked already but if you have IP.Downloads installed on your IP.Board 3.4.8 install and upgrade your board to the IP.Board 4, will the IP.Downloads configurations and uploaded contents be merged over to the IP.Downloads application included with the IP.Board 4 suite or will all configurations and uploaded content be lost once our board has been upgraded?

Thanks in advance for responding with the answer.

Edited by Jamie Clark

1 hour ago, Ibragim Pupkevich said:

Hi buddies,

That takes HOURS even on very powerful dedicated server... :(

Upgrading members (Upgraded so far: 65326 out of 307920)

Any idea how to speed-up this step? What does this step actually do with members?

I can't give an exact answer not knowing the size of your database really.

As far as members these are also intensely upgraded as well ie: posts, topics, images ect. to the new framework from the older structure that has not been significantly changed since 3.0 and earlier...

Where this may get even more interesting is the 4.1 upgrade when it is fully released. My 3.4.7 test upgrade took just under an hour with an 8 gig database.

2 hours ago, Ibragim Pupkevich said:

Hi buddies,

That takes HOURS even on very powerful dedicated server... :(

Upgrading members (Upgraded so far: 65326 out of 307920)

Any idea how to speed-up this step? What does this step actually do with members?

Something wrong with your server...

I have a dedicated server and

1 million post - 120 thousand user

Upgrading members took about 28 minutes on my server. Background process for posts  took 28 hours to complete

I have used cronjob, which is faster....

Edited by media

4 hours ago, Ibragim Pupkevich said:

Are you running your tables in MyISAM or INNODB?

That's also interesting also, by the way... IPS said "we will release upgrade tools for 4.1 after release". But in fact even beta has already got defailt upgrade script and more or less it allows you to upgrade directly from 3.4 to 4.1, skipping 4.0...

MyISAM

Did anyone face following error message during Upgrade from 3.4 to 4.1? Is this one critical?

lang_not_exists____app_cms 
C:\Winginx\home\localhost\public_html\system\Lang\Lang.php::657
BLOB/TEXT column 'a_short' used in key specification without a key length 
C:\Winginx\home\localhost\public_html/applications/core/setup/upg_101001/queries.json - query #2

Edited by Ibragim Pupkevich