Upgrade from IP. 3.4.x to IPS4.0 (updated)

Attempting to upgrade on a dev server to test IPB4 out before I consider going live with it. Getting this error when installing the UTF converter:

Can't find any mention of this anywhere else. Any idea?

​You may want to submit a ticket for this one. Sounds like a possibility of a corrupt file

• 2 weeks later...

they should but not doing it, i get issue here i have reset my dev environment and trying first to convert utf8mb4 after completed it and change file i get a driver error :) i open a ticket and they say like it's a "test site" they can't help, so i wait in my corner for a futur release of a new outfit tools to do another try.

this migration will be very hard at all level.

Hi B_U_R_I

There are a couple of things to look for. The first check to make sure the conf_global.php is correct. Also look for odd characters namely the colon (:) that may have added itself... This happens to me frequently in Wamp during save.

Next compare the database including physical size. It sounds as though the whole file did not transfer... This can be caused mainly from the server download.

When exporting the original database, remember to export using the "Export Method". Make sure to select "Select All". Select your compression option then got to the bottom and hit Go.

OK don't hit it I don't want you angry with me for breaking your monitor so select "Go" instead.

export-1.thumb.png.4428188931b5aa03f94b4  export-2.thumb.png.56c3b66c199d00698470f

I always take a minimum 3 backups. 1st 2 as a gzip to compare and make sure they are exact, and the 2nd without compression ( Just Habit).

I've put this thing aside for a while, but now that IPS4 is officially out, I'd really like to do a test upgrade and see what's what. I tried redoing it all again, but I get a database error anyway.

I decided to do a step-by-step description of what I'm doing, so maybe someone can spot the error in my ways...

I log onto my website cpanel and go to phpMyAdmin. I have 4 databases, because I have 4 different sites on this server. I select the database for this community and check that the correct database is selected (1) and then I click on Export (2).

1.thumb.jpg.28391e2592bcceffb16036aeaacd

The next thing I do is choose a Custom Export Method. I didn't change anything here - maybe this is the problem - should I?

2.thumb.jpg.4f06771b93ca91522d51d64de743

The database size on the server is 185.68 MB:

3.thumb.jpg.67e29f911e329b2ec50a2baec20a

Once I download it, it's only 148MB on my PC:

4.thumb.jpg.947753637f6632206386436833d5

Why is there such a size difference? I tried downloading it multiple times, but it's always the same - 148MB...

Ok, anywhoo... I proceeded with copying the files from my public_html folder on the hosting server to ..\wamp\www\IPS4. After the transfer was complete, I logged into wamp (http://localhost) and opened phpMyAdmin on wamp. Then I created a new database with the same name. Then I select the database and click on Import ... Here is the next problem - there is a size limit. I can only import a database which is smaller than 128MB. So I went back to my host site, made database backup and used gzip compression. Tried multiple times again and the size was 32.3MB

Ok, back to wamp phpMyAdmin. I choose the gzipped file and start importing. After import is complete, I have to add a new user that has all of the privileges for this DB. I create an identical user, with identical credentials that are used on my public server. After the user is created I only change the BoardURL on the global_conf.php file to http://localhost/ips4 

According to the tutorial, I should be all set. But when I open http://localhost/ips4, I get this error:

OMG! I've done this 4 times now the exact same way. I decided to do it once more for this step-by-step and when trying to post the error it WORKED! I can't believe this. I have no idea what I've been doing wrong these past tries ...

Thanks Woodsman.

I can't seem to find a way to edit (or delete) the previous post ...

After getting my test site to work, I downloaded latest IPS4 from the client area. I extracted the contents of the archive to wamp/www/IPS4 where the conf_global.php is located. I was prompted to overwrite 6 files, which I did...

After the files are uploaded, the site (also ACP) is not working anymore:
6.jpg

I suspect this is normal behaviour so I proceeded with upgrading. I get stuck when trying to upgrade at localhost/IPS4/admin/upgrade I get this error when trying to log in:
2015-06-19 14_20_28-Login – Google Chrome.jpg

I've got two administrator accounts configured and I can login to the ACP normally with both - I just can't login for the upgrade with either. What could be the cause for this issue?

Thanks for your help.

P.S.: I've now reverted back to 3.4.7 with my backup, so the site is working again and IPS4 upgrade files are no longer on the local server. I can login to ACP without issue and I can login into the upgrade module of 3.4.7 ...

just doing a test upgrade from 3.4.8 to 4.0.8.1, upgrade went ok without any issues

now everything is being rebuilt, its so very slow though

I have used the manual option in the admin, is there a faster way to get everything converted/rebuilt

are there  ssh commands I can run as its usually faster that way, if so were do I find the information ?

thank you

Hello Sir

I have made 3-4 custom app..costed me thousand of dollars. So any developer can convert that to ipboard 4 or i have to contact only who have made it? And will they charge only for converting or making whole app?

What i want to ask, is making ipboard 4 app/hook by seeing code of 3.4 app/hook is easy or they need to make it from start.

Hello Sir

I have made 3-4 custom app..costed me thousand of dollars. So any developer can convert that to ipboard 4 or i have to contact only who have made it? And will they charge only for converting or making whole app?

What i want to ask, is making ipboard 4 app/hook by seeing code of 3.4 app/hook is easy or they need to make it from start.

First Part

Again - The framework IPS 4.0 is built on is not compatible with any part of the older 3.4.x or earlier structures. This has been stated a number of times in this topic as many other topics. Skin Themes, Mods, apps and hooks from the previous versions can not be used with 4.0's new frame work. All of these have to be rebuilt from the ground up using the new framework.

2nd Part

Yes  it is possible for the coder (understanding the 4.0 framework) to rewrite a hook compatible to IPS 4.0.

First Part

Again - The framework IPS 4.0 is built on is not compatible with any part of the older 3.4.x or earlier structures. This has been stated a number of times in this topic as many other topics. Skin Themes, Mods, apps and hooks from the previous versions can not be used with 4.0's new frame work. All of these have to be rebuilt from the ground up using the new framework.

2nd Part

Yes  it is possible for the coder (understanding the 4.0 framework) to rewrite a hook compatible to IPS 4.0.

Can you recommend any company or Developer who can help me to move IP Board 4.0 with all my apps.

Thanks

If I had the time I would, but you can go here https://community.invisionpower.com/third-party/providers and talk to these fine people.

As for me I am in preparation to spend a week in a boat with nothing more than a fishing pole on my mind. :smile:

Hello Sir

I have tried but most of Developer their don't reply of PMs, Some replied and said now they are busy. Is there any company/site which is in IPB develop business?

Thanks

Are you lookig to upgrade your live board or a test board?

IPS will upgrade your licensed live board for free as far as the core and official apps you hold license to. Just go to your clients center and submit a ticket.

Unfortunatly they will not be able to upgrade your 3rd party apps. These you will need to contact the app authors.

I believe you can also ask IPS sales. They do custom work too. I think I read that lol.

I don't believe they will work on another's 3rd party app though. Having to do with stepping on toes, copyright and if it does not work as expected then it is their problem now.