Upgrade from IP. 3.4.x to IPS4.0 (updated)

24 minutes ago, Adlago said:

Hi guys,
How do you think you should upgrade to 4.5.2 from ipb 3.1.
Will it be better from 3.1 to 3.4.x or should I try straight from 3.1 to 4.5.2.
I appreciate every opinion.
Thanks.

Personally I think it is better to upgrade directly to 4.5.2, 

On 5/31/2021 at 2:29 PM, Adlago said:

Hi guys,
How do you think you should upgrade to 4.5.2 from ipb 3.1.
Will it be better from 3.1 to 3.4.x or should I try straight from 3.1 to 4.5.2.
I appreciate every opinion.
Thanks.

I had a different experience and in my opinion it is better to upgrade to 3.4.9 (last version) and then to IPS 4

Edited by SeNioR-

2 minutes ago, SeNioR- said:

I have a different experience and in my opinion it is better to upgrade to 3.4.9 (last version) and then to IPS 4

That's why I asked - because I also think it's better to do an upgrade in 2 steps, and I'm not sure if a direct upgrade will work.

• 2 weeks later...

Shared Alerts - Before you begin the upgrade, remove the tables with "tapatalk" name from your  database
If you forget this, torture follows ...,
Many thanks to all the guys from IPS development - the converter you have built in is the perfect rifle for all evil dogs. Very good.

Happy Saturday Happy Bear GIF

Edited by Adlago

On 6/9/2021 at 1:49 PM, Adlago said:

Just to add - upgrade from ipb 3.1 to 4.5.2 is done without any problems. The upgrade works perfectly.

sam richardson GIF by Team Coco

I had a different experience when upgrading from 3.4.9 to 4.x.x. I had to upgrade to 4.4.10 first, and then upgrade to 4.5.x afterwards. 4.5.x would not work properly for me when converting my database to the new format they implemented in 4.x. I tried several attempts and all failed with 4.5.x but 4.4.10 worked (almost) flawlessly, but it did get me 3/4 of the way to upgrade to 4.5.x, and then the last upgrade of 4.5.4 months ago.

3 minutes ago, Nuclear General said:

I had a different experience when upgrading from 3.4.9 to 4.x.x. I had to upgrade to 4.4.10 first, and then upgrade to 4.5.x afterwards. 4.5.x would not work properly for me when converting my database to the new format they implemented in 4.x. I tried several attempts and all failed with 4.5.x but 4.4.10 worked (almost) flawlessly, but it did get me 3/4 of the way to upgrade to 4.5.x, and then the last upgrade of 4.5.4 months ago.

If you have used utf8converter in advance, you get a lot of errors in the database.
I recently had a similar case - 3.4.6 - charset latin1
With an annoying number of error stops, in the process of conversion, and completed conversion to utf8mb4, the upgrade to 4.5.2 went relatively smoothly, but there were too many character set vague characters in the texts ...
With the backup I went back to 3.4.6, and this time I started directly upgrading to 4.5.2. This method causes the activation of a built-in converter in the IPS package, and following the process everything went perfectly (with a few exceptions - for tables named "tapatalk", which I mentioned above - there converter loops - I waited for it to last more than 20 minutes, but no ... Then I deleted these tables, reset the converter and the conversion process was 100% complete), after which the update process went relatively smoothly - and the result after the update was perfect.

@AdlagoSorry for the delay but you could say I have had my hands full these last few weeks.

New computer build after the last build in 2006 finally dropped dead. And there was the MOVE FROM HELL....

Moved a little more north here in Wisconsin well it is better because now I can say I am away from Milwaukee.

OK to get back to question... I have made every upgrade from 4.0.x to 4.4x without error just keep an eye on php versions (so far)

Funny this topic comes up now... I have not had a chance to do anything with 5.0 until now so I will give an update later in the day.

That is if my wife don't catch me.... LOL!

On 6/15/2021 at 7:03 PM, Woodsman said:

Well didn't think of red errors since 4.

D:\wamp\www\kmg-forum1\system\Application\Module.php::164

I guess I get to go on a hunt again..... Such Fun!

Don't you love DB issues.

Our upcoming release will contain fixes for issues encountered upgrading from 3.4.x 👍🏻

13 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

These fixes are specifically for issues introduced in 4.6. I haven't seen any reports via tickets of 3.4 upgrade issues for quite a while.

I have been seeing a shtic house load of database errors in the 3.4.7 to 4.6 including 4.x.x times... to 4.6.

Sad thing the last tb failure I lost my complete db backup file along wit 980gig of other files and backups. 

Stranger yet a fresh copy of my live database shows corrupt during a wamp mysql import..... I love being me lately...

baby crying GIF

10 hours ago, Woodsman said:

I have been seeing a shtic house load of database errors in the 3.4.7 to 4.6 including 4.x.x times... to 4.6.

Sad thing the last tb failure I lost my complete db backup file along wit 980gig of other files and backups. 

Stranger yet a fresh copy of my live database shows corrupt during a wamp mysql import..... I love being me lately...

baby crying GIF

What method are you using for backing up your database?

On 6/18/2021 at 4:09 AM, Miss_B said:

What method are you using for backing up your database?

phpmyadmin - mysql - export

On 6/18/2021 at 5:34 AM, Stuart Silvester said:

I did 2 upgrades from 3.4.8 (I think was one 3.4.5 actually) this week, they worked fine except for the above mentioned issues that are fixed in 4.6.1

Tt appears Mysql don't like me no more. Maybe I need to take a closer look at MariaDB or others but I don't see it being a fix either.

2 hours ago, Woodsman said:

phpmyadmin - mysql - export

You should keep in mind that most hosts, if not all, place a size limit restriction on phpmyadmins. So, if you have a medium/large sized forum, making a backup or restoring one through phpmyadmin is adviceable as it can result in incomplete operations. 

1 hour ago, Miss_B said:

You should keep in mind that most hosts, if not all, place a size limit restriction on phpmyadmins. So, if you have a medium/large sized forum, making a backup or restoring one through phpmyadmin is adviceable as it can result in incomplete operations. 

Which makes no difference in my wamp localhost.

These are my phpForApache.ini edits.

max_execution_time = 5000
max_input_time = 5000
memory_limit = 1024M  2048M

post_max_size = 8500M

upload_max_filesize = 8500M
max_file_uploads = 50

Also this Nag.

Public Display of PHP Errors Enabled

Your server is set to display PHP errors. This is not recommended for production environments as it may cause sensitive information to be publicly disclosed. You should contact your hosting provider or system administrator and ask them to set the display_errors PHP setting to Off.

Not to much can get past this. 🙂