Upgrade from IP. 3.4.x to IPS4.0 (updated)

I have used the converter both ways on a few of test sites on my local without issue. Both are working fine on my local. My live 3.4.8 site is also utf-8mb4 and it too is working as expected.

Remember that the utf-8 is more of a common character standard as where utf-8mb4 is more complex for other applications.

Edited by Woodsman

Well, my issue has to do with the starting character set, which is latin swedish (idk why it's set as that, but it is), and I think the main issue is converting from particular char. sets to another. If the board at origin has one that has been test with the converter prior to it's release, it will be fine.

I don't think IPS did so with mine, therefore the issues can be fixed and they can debug what's breaking the password column in the members table.

IPS support is looking into it, but unfortunately, I won't be able to upgrade my board till this is resolved.

Edited by RiotandHispanic

Well, I upgraded utf, also from latin-swedish, to utf-mb4, and it gave me errors caused by key-length - so it said. For both of my current 3.4.x installations.

utf-mb4 uses more space than plain utf-8 does, so that was probably why. This all in 3.4.x I reckon 4.x has been coded so that it will atomatically cater for correct key-lengths, but it looks that 3.4.x doesn't.

I haven't checked the utf-8 converter in over a month now, so who knows, it may be fixed now.

Kind regards, Wim

Just a heads up, I got the upgrade to work! I needed to convert the char. set via mysql dump instead, the current converter doesn't work at all.

When you have the chance post your method here for those having the same issue. I think it will save a few strands of hair being ripped out

Though the converter did a great job for a number of us there are still those like yourself getting frustrated with it not working for them.

When you have the chance post your method here for those having the same issue. I think it will save a few strands of hair being ripped out

Though the converter did a great job for a number of us there are still those like yourself getting frustrated with it not working for them.

https://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Converting_your_MySQL_database_to_UTF8

This explains it in full, I used the commands needed from here, then you have to make sure to change all instances of the current charset to UTF8 with something like vim or nano. After that, reimport the dumped DB, and try running the upgrader again, and it shouldn't ask you to convert anymore. Your forum will go down with this change though, so I recommend that you make proper notices when doing so.

This honestly can be done for any charset of any kind, and if the converter is doing weird stuff from the beginning, I suggest you ditch it and use this instead. 

This explains it in full, I used the commands needed from here, then you have to make sure to change all instances of the current charset to UTF8 with something like vim or nano. After that, reimport the dumped DB, and try running the upgrader again, and it shouldn't ask you to convert anymore. Your forum will go down with this change though, so I recommend that you make proper notices when doing so.

This honestly can be done for any charset of any kind, and if the converter is doing weird stuff from the beginning, I suggest you ditch it and use this instead.

Nice-

I am sure those having trouble converting or issues with the converter itself will find that there is another alternative to getting it to play nice.

Try: AdminCP -> System -> Support -> check Something isn't working correctly -> click on Continue

after second step:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method IPS\Theme\class_core_admin_support::whitespace() in D:\XAMPP\htdocs\applications\core\modules\admin\support\support.php on line 302

here:
return \IPS\Theme::i()->getTemplate( 'support' )->whitespace( $files, $id );
Edited by Mawej

There seem to be a bug with the upgraded topic and forum subscriptions.

In ipb348 the subscriptions have been stored in table ips_core_likes. The area field only contained plural words of "topic" and "forum".

After the upgrade to ipb4 the subscriptions have been moved to ips_core_follow. But now we have both versions (singular and plural) in the area field. I opened a ticket and after a couple of conversations they told me that this seem to be a bug they don't have a fix yet.

This means some subscriptions are not working in ipb4 because the area field has to contain singular words only.

Could you please check your follow table?

Edited by Apfelstrudel

There seem to be a bug with the upgraded topic and forum subscriptions.

In ipb348 the subscriptions have been stored in table ips_core_likes. The area field only contained plural words of "topic" and "forum".

After the upgrade to ipb4 the subscriptions have been moved to ips_core_follow. But now we have both versions (singular and plural) in the area field. I opened a ticket and after a couple of conversations they told me that this seem to be a bug they don't have a fix yet.

This means some subscriptions are not working in ipb4 because the area field has to contain singular words only.

Could you please check your follow table?

The bug report for this particular issue

That doesn't work anymore with our database - too large :). It is well beyond 2GB. I haven't found an editor yet, with which you can actually edit the thing. Tried splitting it up, but that is a major pain, and still doesn't work too well anyway.

Kind regards, Wim

Nice-

I am sure those having trouble converting or issues with the converter itself will find that there is another alternative to getting it to play nice.

Yes: converting it straight to 4.x will do just that, but the last time I ran it, it just gave boi hassles in other areas. Still need to retry with the current version at some stage.

Kind regards, Wim

That doesn't work anymore with our database - too large :). It is well beyond 2GB. I haven't found an editor yet, with which you can actually edit the thing. Tried splitting it up, but that is a major pain, and still doesn't work too well anyway.

Kind regards, Wim

did you try sublime or notepad++ ? i have worked with bigger files with these editors...

Hello,

I upgraded my forum to IPS 4.0, but I have a huge problem with my database. Can you help me? 

I converted all table to utf8 and I can't see my character in polish. 

Link and scrren below:

http://krystiankucharski.pl/traderzy/f2/

1.thumb.jpg.87c708039f54ab591c4ba4c66590

In one of the best polish forum about IP Board I received solution to create a file constant.php with:

<?phpdefine( 'FORCE_CONVERT', TRUE );
define( 'SOURCE_DB_CHARSET', 'latin2' );

This file should be in /utf8convert before turning updates, but this doesn't work on my website. 

Any idea? 

Edited by kkucharsky

Hello,

I upgraded my forum to IPS 4.0, but I have a huge problem with my database. Can you help me? 

I converted all table to utf8 and I can't see my character in polish. 

Link and scrren below:

http://krystiankucharski.pl/traderzy/f2/

1.thumb.jpg.87c708039f54ab591c4ba4c66590

In one of the best polish forum about IP Board I received solution to create a file constant.php with:

<?phpdefine( 'FORCE_CONVERT', TRUE );
define( 'SOURCE_DB_CHARSET', 'latin2' );

This file should be in /utf8convert before turning updates, but this doesn't work on my website. 

Any idea? 

do the upgrade again but convert it to utf8mb4 not utf8. This worked for my greek characters

Hello, 

At which stage I should convert to utf8mb4? When I use IPS UTF8 Database Converter 1.1.1 from https://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/6823-ips-utf8-database-converter/ or other way? 

Can you say more about it? 

I havent upgraded yet to v4 because of some bugs, so every time i am amking test upgrades..

During the upgrade process it notifies you that he will run the converter. At this stage i convert to utf8mb4 and then the process continues and the upgrade is completed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha anyone found a solution to the "css/lack of theme" issue after upgrading to IPS4?

If you are trying to use the 3.4.x themes they wont work. Nor will any of the mods & apps. 4.0 is a totally different animal.  You would have known this by fully reading the topic not to mention it has been stated many of times in this topic and others. Now if I misread your comment as a wise ass I apologize. But that's the way I am reading it.

@Woodsman : Maybe you should add directory ccs_files that has to be kept and copied over when you clean upgrade along with public,screenshots,downloads e.t.c.

Or it has moved elsewhere?

All the pertinent files and directories that need to be edited and copied over are mentioned.