Upgrade from IP. 3.4.x to IPS4.0 (updated)

Ha anyone found a solution to the "css/lack of theme" issue after upgrading to IPS4?

I have the same issue. Going through the Support option in the ACP doesn't seem to be working.

If you are trying to use the 3.4.x themes they wont work. Nor will any of the mods & apps. 4.0 is a totally different animal.  You would have known this by fully reading the topic not to mention it has been stated many of times in this topic and others. Now if I misread your comment as a wise ass I apologize. But that's the way I am reading it.

Even if you install an IPS4 theme, I (and most likely others) still have this issue where the lack of theme is still happening.

Is the issue due to lack of 4.0 themes in the market place or they won't install correctly?

I may sound a bit bias at this point but every theme I have created are installing fine from one board version to another.

But also I should add these are installed on test sites at the moment.

When I install IPS4 fresh everything works perfectly with no issues at all. However during an upgrade from IPB3.4.7 it removes the old themes and defaults to the IPS4 default theme. However for some reason this doesn't seem to work. I have also tried installing a few of the free IPS4 themes and setting those to default as well as setting it so all users use it without luck too.

It's a very strange issue that I and I guess many others can't explain. Some people have managed to get it working after the Support -> Problem Option -> Clear Cache stage but it seems like this doesn't always work (and doesn't with me).

When I install IPS4 fresh everything works perfectly with no issues at all. However during an upgrade from IPB3.4.7 it removes the old themes and defaults to the IPS4 default theme. However for some reason this doesn't seem to work. I have also tried installing a few of the free IPS4 themes and setting those to default as well as setting it so all users use it without luck too.

It's a very strange issue that I and I guess many others can't explain. Some people have managed to get it working after the Support -> Problem Option -> Clear Cache stage but it seems like this doesn't always work (and doesn't with me).

In preparation of the 3.4.x files it is best to manually remove all third party skin themes, mods, hooks and applications before proceeding to the upgrade.

It sounds as though you have fragment hanging around during and after the upgrade. When you do a fresh install there is nothing to convert so therefore nothing to be missed during its cleanup...

Try another upgrade. But first manually remove all third party skin themes, mods, hooks and applications as explained in this topic.

In preparation of the 3.4.x files it is best to manually remove all third party skin themes, mods, hooks and applications before proceeding to the upgrade.

It sounds as though you have fragment hanging around during and after the upgrade. When you do a fresh install there is nothing to convert so therefore nothing to be missed during its cleanup...

Try another upgrade. But first manually remove all third party skin themes, mods, hooks and applications as explained in this topic.

That really isn't required, anyone following this instruction will permanently delete any data stored by those 3rd party applications and be unable to upgrade to their IPS4 version. The upgrade process will remove any 3.x themes and plugins.

That really isn't required, anyone following this instruction will permanently delete any data stored by those 3rd party applications and be unable to upgrade to their IPS4 version. The upgrade process will remove any 3.x themes and plugins.

This has been the recommended method from the beginning from the previews through betas. The reason for following this is to do just that. Remove all unwanted threats of instability from the previous versions.

This is the only method I have been able to upgrade without error and I have made over 20 plus upgraded test sites on my local that were perfectly sound. Those that I let slide without manually cleaning most all failed before the upgrades were completed. And let me tell you I hate those red error bars that popped up caused by 3.4.x 3rd party themes and mods. Those that I took the time with and utilized the above process worked as they should even with a good 80% of the bugs that showed up in the tracker I was having very little issue with.

Every fresh install (no upgrade) worked fine.

I'm going to give this a go now and see if it works. Going to have to jot down the plugins I'm using but as far as themes go, I have only been using the default one. I'll let you know if it works or not.

Edit: I'm getting this error message now when trying to upgrade:

1034Incorrect key file for table 'ipb_core_notifications'; try to repair it 
/share/MD0_DATA/Web/idev/system/Db/Db.php::1482
Edited by UK-Varsh

Has anyone else had issues with the setup wizard not creating the proper pp_main_photo/pp_cover_photo/signature fields in the core_members db, or gotten this error?

Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'restrict_post' at row 2 
/Users/Sean/Sites/fotp/public/applications/core/sources/Setup/Upgrade.php::655

Well thankfully I backed up the first IPS4 upgrade MySQL DB and I just simply copied the two tables that I had the issues with (ips_core_notifications and ips_downloads_reviews) and the upgrade script went through without an issue. Also the theme issue has completely gone! Whether this was because of removing the plugins first or because I was using the newly patched IPS4 build I don't know, but my site is now back online and working. :)

Well thankfully I backed up the first IPS4 upgrade MySQL DB and I just simply copied the two tables that I had the issues with (ips_core_notifications and ips_downloads_reviews) and the upgrade script went through without an issue. Also the theme issue has completely gone! Whether this was because of removing the plugins first or because I was using the newly patched IPS4 build I don't know, but my site is now back online and working. :)

At this point it is hard to say which fixed it for you but I am glad to hear it is working. On the other hand I ran the upgrade on an un touched forum backup on my local and again trashed it. Same upgrade with all the 3rd party products disabled or removed and now a working  4.0.13.1 test site added to my collection...

My personal hunch is for most people @Stuart Silvester may be correct in most common situations it may work as intended. In my situation I merged another site with my own back in 2012 that caused a big issue with the merge where the conversion tool needed some serious attention and rebuilding from the ground up in order to get the two sites to come together and work properly. Because of this I now feel my merged site still has a few underlying issues that will cause the upgrade problems as I am seeing them on my local. Is this situation the cause of my upgrades? That too is hard to say for sure. But I can honestly say that the upgrade (In my case) will fail every time without going through all the steps mentioned in this article. Yes it is time consuming, but then again a little extra time spent is worth the sanity loss.

Hey guys,

Is there a current 3.4.8 to 4.0.13.1 upgrade instruction or help topic that I can follow. I am ready to upgrade but could not find the topic...

Only this one: https://community.invisionpower.com/4docs/getting-started/upgrading-from-3x-to-40-things-to-know-r136/

But above one is only about changes, not step by step upgrade info...

Please help?

Thanks

Hey guys,

Is there a current 3.4.8 to 4.0.13.1 upgrade instruction or help topic that I can follow. I am ready to upgrade but could not find the topic...

Only this one: https://community.invisionpower.com/4docs/getting-started/upgrading-from-3x-to-40-things-to-know-r136/

But above one is only about changes, not step by step upgrade info...

Please help?

Thanks

This very post does this job very very well...Go to the first post and start

8 hours ago, EarthDog said:

This very post does this job very very well...Go to the first post and start

Hi EarthDog,

Thank you for your reply, I agree, but is there a topic a list of step by step instruction for this upgrade (with some kind of explanation of process and steps)

Thanks

3 hours ago, media said:

Hi EarthDog,

Thank you for your reply, I agree, but is there a topic a list of step by step instruction for this upgrade (with some kind of explanation of process and steps)

Thanks

The step by step instructions posted here are written in a way that anyone can follow. The way it was written is in a "For Dummies" attitude for every level of experience.

3 hours ago, media said:

Hi EarthDog,

Thanks

Where exactly are you havng difficulties in following this post to do the upgrade....Do it step by step.

Do you have a test site that you have duplicated from the original? If not start from there and follow the instructions.

53 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

The step by step instructions posted here are written in a way that anyone can follow. The way it was written is in a "For Dummies" attitude for every level of experience.

Hi Woodsman,

Thank you for the explanation, at the beginning of this topic you guys were talking about beta a lot and that just made me think that this topic is about beta version of IPB upgrade....

Anyway, after you post and EarthDog post I went back and read the topic and see what you guys are talking about....

Thank you for your help

7 minutes ago, media said:

Hi Woodsman,

Thank you for the explanation, at the beginning of this topic you guys were talking about beta a lot and that just made me think that this topic is about beta version of IPB upgrade....

Anyway, after you post and EarthDog post I went back and read the topic and see what you guys are talking about....

Thank you for your help

I have done this procedure for test upgrade around 15 times and it always worked..Be sure that you try it on a test install first..

3 hours ago, media said:

Hi Woodsman,

Thank you for your help

I'm glad to help. Fear of the unknown gets to the heart of the majority. But then we soon realize there was nothing to fear.....

Hi guys,

I have one question what happens to your mods you do not have an upgrade or it is discontinued (you do not have an upgrade for them)?

Do they stay in the database or system wipe them off????

Second question: Is it possible to translate the script before upgrade??? If yes, where is the lang file? and what is the procedure?
Thanks

Edited by media

The database does not get cleared of the tables created by 3rd party mods during an upgrade - these would be required for a mod upgrade after all. You would have to do that manually first, by uninstalling all 3rd party mods. In addition, for some mods which create tables, you may have to manually uninstall these regardless, from phpMyAdmin or so, as the uninstall routines do not always take care of the removal of the tables created by the mod.

However, not removing those tables generally is not a problem. Problems may be caused by non-removal of entries in the system configuration tables, and possibly from additional fields/columns added to existing tables, although I have never had any problems with the latter so far. The former, yes unfortunately. And those are generally a pain to remove.

Regarding translations: AFAIK, you need to have the system installed before you can create a translation. It is in the ACP, in Customization => Localization => Languages.
You may translate everything there and then, on the fly.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

2 hours ago, media said:

Hi guys,

I have one question what happens to your mods you do not have an upgrade or it is discontinued (you do not have an upgrade for them)?

Do they stay in the database or system wipe them off????

Second question: Is it possible to translate the script before upgrade??? If yes, where is the lang file? and what is the procedure?
Thanks

As Wim explained you can do either or - delete or disable 3rd party applications. Deleting you may run into a chance of fragments hanging around it your database that you will have to manually remove prior to the upgrade. This I won't recommend to anyone without database experience. The preferred method is by disabling the 3rd party applications in the ACP - Applications & Modules - Manage Applications & Modules and then  disable 3rd party hooks via Manage Hooks just below. This will allow the 4.0 upgrade to bypass those disabled applications and hooks.

In your new upgraded 4.0 test site  ACP - System - System Features - Applications, at the very bottom it will show all your disabled files. These I would keep as they are for now just in case they get updated by the developers.

Happy Upgrading!

Hello,

Dumb question: I have to remove all the 3.4.x files and upload the ones of the 4.x to upgrade ? Or just upload on top of the old ones and overwrite everything ?

I'm asking this because I did all the steps in the first post, but when I access the 4.x it's like the board will install a fresh forum and not a upgrade from the 3.4.x.

10 hours ago, FabioPaz said:

Hello,

Dumb question: I have to remove all the 3.4.x files and upload the ones of the 4.x to upgrade ? Or just upload on top of the old ones and overwrite everything ?

I'm asking this because I did all the steps in the first post, but when I access the 4.x it's like the board will install a fresh forum and not a upgrade from the 3.4.x.

As @Woodsman says, follow the guide. And the answer is no, you dont remove ALL of the files of 3.x You have to keep specific files.

Do it step by step and tell us where you stuck. It doesn't matter how simple your question is..There are no stupid questions....