Upgrade from IP. 3.4.x to IPS4.0 (updated)

I think i am going to upgrade to 4 at last.. Is this the topic to consult?

We have been doing it all along so you are welcome to join in. :smile:

And if it is why they don't merge it in official upgrade articles?

I am not a staff member here at IPS and I wrote this to be more of a Member's 1 on 1 help article.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been searching but I wasn't succesful yet, so I decided to ask here...

Does anyone know if there is a tutorial on how to create a fresh install of 4.0 and the import the 3.x database into the fresh install? Can that even be done?

I'm just not successful with this test install, so I decided to go at it from a different angle, since most of the things I have in 3.x won't work in 4.0...

I've been searching but I wasn't succesful yet, so I decided to ask here...

Does anyone know if there is a tutorial on how to create a fresh install of 4.0 and the import the 3.x database into the fresh install? Can that even be done?

I'm just not successful with this test install, so I decided to go at it from a different angle, since most of the things I have in 3.x won't work in 4.0...

You could make a copy of your 3.x and disable everything that will not go to 4.0

Then you could just upgrade and adjust it to your liking....This is not an option? (as it is described in the first post in this topic)

I'd like to have a working test site on 4.0 before doing an actual upgrade. I'm not an expert but I can manage a few things here and there - but I am well aware that things might go wrong (for many reasons) and I just want to see if I can upgrade a test site before doing it on my live one.

I managed to make a copy of my 3.x site, but when upgrading - this happened. This is one of the reasons I'm doing this on a test site and not on a live one :) I tried contacting IPS, but they don't support test installs in any way...

Since I can't upgrade the 3.x site, I am trying to do a workaround by making a new 4.0 install and just importing everything from 3.x (basically it's just a community forum with a news feed on the frontpage... - so it shouldn't be that complicated to import)...

ips4.png

I'm having this same problem. I've tried 3 or 4 different paths for upgrading,  followed this guide with a local version of my site in WAMP and still have the same issue. Re-downloaded the latest IPB4 version. At this point the only thing that immediately comes to mind is that on my 3.3 install I had IP.Content, and I didn't renew IP.Content for 4, so the upgrade doesn't include that.

EDIT SOLVED: I've had this problem for 3 or 4 days. Literally a minute after submitting this, I go to IPS Support, the little tooltip says to try the support tool in the AdminCP. I try that, it says there might be corrupt cache data or something, and it clears that. And... my test site is working.

Edited by tsincaat

Hi!

I created a forum for the test locally with xampp. I followed the guide and prepared the entire board to test, I checked and everything works fine.

Now I launched the update process, the problem is that when I use the license followed by -TESTINSTALL continues to come out this error:

Your license has not Been provided. Please supply your license key in order to continue.
There was an error communicating with the IPS License Server:. Please try again later or contact IPS technical support for assistance.

As you have done to solve this problem?

Thanks
Bye!

Hi!

I created a forum for the test locally with xampp. I followed the guide and prepared the entire board to test, I checked and everything works fine.

Now I launched the update process, the problem is that when I use the license followed by -TESTINSTALL continues to come out this error:

Your license has not Been provided. Please supply your license key in order to continue.
There was an error communicating with the IPS License Server:. Please try again later or contact IPS technical support for assistance.

As you have done to solve this problem?

Thanks
Bye!

Tto tell you the truth, in my test upgrade board i didnt touch the license key. I just explained to support when i needed them that this was a test board. No problems until now.

Hi!

So I need to contact tech support and ask them information? I wanted to contact them but there is a notice that the response time is 8 days! :D

Why no license does not allow me to continue in any way, perhaps because the domain is not correct because is the local path

Thanks
Bye

Hi!

So I need to contact tech support and ask them information? I wanted to contact them but there is a notice that the response time is 8 days! :D

Why no license does not allow me to continue in any way, perhaps because the domain is not correct because is the local path

Thanks
Bye

I did manage ot make a test upgrade even in localhost without problems though ....

Syupport is answering to me within 1-3 days

Has anyone performed an upgrade to IPS 4 from a site where IP.Content is the homepage? 

I have a site running, which is configured as follows: https://www.invisionpower.com/support/guides/_/ips-community-suite-apps/ip-cont/make-ipcontent-your-homepage-r273 

I've run through the upgrade and reconfigured the site as follows: https://community.invisionpower.com/4docs/administration/pages/using-pages-under-your-community-root-r100/

Index.php and .htaccess sit in /public_html 

IPS4 installation is in /public_html/forums/

However the problem I have now is that all my CSS and Javascript links to www.sitename.com/forums/forums/uploads/javascript... 

The site works functionally and I can navigate it, but I'm just not sure how to resolve the links. I've run through the support request system which clears various caches without luck.

I've logged the issue with IPS Support, but from reading this thread it doesn't seem likely they will help out given it's on a test run. That's extremely frustrating if true as there is no way I'll perform a live upgrade if I can't successfully test using a dry run. 

EDIT: IPS support just resolved the issue. Top work guys!!

Edited by invisiblekid
EDIT: IPS support just resolved the issue. Top work guys!!

• 2 weeks later...

how and were i can use support tool to resolve is there is a guide on this ? because i'm stuck at this point and i want to advance on thise issue 

find my way to run the tool, saying there is an issue with data cached, so the support tool don't resolve issue i have submited a ticket...

Edited by recifbox

I upgraded my tables to UTF8 and when I tried logging in with my existing admin account to continue the upgrade, it doesn't work.

Which utf-8 version?

I found there is a problem with key-length in 3.4.x tables when you upgrade to the extended utf-8 version (utf-8 mb4?), causing significant problems in 3.4.x.

I'd suggest upgrading only a copy. Creating a copy, on a different domain, or even just a different directory, you can do by following the instructions I provided a while ago. I just found it again, here it is:

https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/408977-moving-or-copying-an-invision-community-suite-34x-installation-to-a-new-site-or-new-path/

Kind regards, Wim

Which utf-8 version?

I found there is a problem with key-length in 3.4.x tables when you upgrade to the extended utf-8 version (utf-8 mb4?), causing significant problems in 3.4.x.

I'd suggest upgrading only a copy. Creating a copy, on a different domain, or even just a different directory, you can do by following the instructions I provided a while ago. I just found it again, here it is:

https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/408977-moving-or-copying-an-invision-community-suite-34x-installation-to-a-new-site-or-new-path/

Kind regards, Wim

It was automatically converted by the included converter inside the IPB4 upgrader. Pretty sure it was UTF8, not UTF8m4 but I might be wrong, as your explanation seems about right. But regardless, it's something IPB should take care of.