Upgrade from IP. 3.4.x to IPS4.0 (updated)

WOW if this does not convince you that you want no part of 4.0 then nothing will.  HOLEY CRIPES..  RUN AWAY..  WTFWYT?

​Still waiting for what it is you are not understanding.

I try and write all my articles some what like those Yellow and black "For Dummies" books where anyone from the Super Troopers down to the complete novice can understand.

And Yes I bought the book "Windows 95 For Dummies" So don't laugh.......

I found it very useful from the day I brought it home.... To this day its still keeping my bookcase level. The perfect height for this unlevel floor.

• 2 weeks later...

What tutorial?  Where?  I am on here currently trying find skins.  What is the eyeball that says Spoiler when I mouse over it?

Sorry but my problem is trying to navigate around this thing.  I do not know what half the stuff means and spend forever trying to figure out how to get back where I did manage to stumble on something I was looking for.  I can never find what I am after.  I always stumble on something I was looking for two weeks ago.

My signature line is not humor.  It is FACT.  I do not get this stuff.  It is very difficult to navigate.  Too big a learning curve and very disorganized.

Just did a search for tutorials. 

I am unsure what I have here in front of me.  They are all called tutorials but when I click on them it takes me to the middle of some topic that I have no idea what they are talking about.

Then I have all these categories down the left site?  What is that?  Yepper confused beyond help again.

This sucks.  Let me go try something else and report back to you how lost i get again.

OK  Did a search for Skins.  So now I am on a page where I see a bunch of topics on skins but I can not choose paid or free.  The drop down says sort by date or relevancy?  What?  So I look up at the search bar and see what my choices are.  Files bugs articles providers???  What?  None of that stuff makes sense.  I just want to look over some skins that I may want to use, paid or not.. 

Yepper still sucks.  Do not know where to go.

What tutorial?  Where?  I am on here currently trying find skins.  What is the eyeball that says Spoiler when I mouse over it?

Sorry but my problem is trying to navigate around this thing.  I do not know what half the stuff means and spend forever trying to figure out how to get back where I did manage to stumble on something I was looking for.  I can never find what I am after.  I always stumble on something I was looking for two weeks ago.

My signature line is not humor.  It is FACT.  I do not get this stuff.  It is very difficult to navigate.  Too big a learning curve and very disorganized.

I am unsure what I have here in front of me.  They are all called tutorials but when I click on them it takes me to the middle of some topic that I have no idea what they are talking about.

Then I have all these categories down the left site?  What is that?  Yepper confused beyond help again.

This sucks.  Let me go try something else and report back to you how lost i get again.

OK  Did a search for Skins.  So now I am on a page where I see a bunch of topics on skins but I can not choose paid or free.  The drop down says sort by date or relevancy?  What?  So I look up at the search bar and see what my choices are.  Files bugs articles providers???  What?  None of that stuff makes sense.  I just want to look over some skins that I may want to use, paid or not.. 

​I don't think any of this is related at all to @Woodsman's great tutorial here in this topic... Why he posted here I have no clue and really makes me wonder about the validity of his other claims if he doesn't even know what is going on in this topic....

In order to download skins, you need to click the "Downloads" in the navigation. Then click the version you want in the right-hand column (I am assuming previous versions is what you're looking for), and then click the "Look and Feel" category (or just go here: http://community.invisionpower.com/files/category/137-look-and-feel/)

All of that is very intuitive, describes exactly what you're looking for ;) . 

i have done the big jump from 3.4.7 to 4 RC6  (including utf-8) and wow the road will be hard. (in my test environment)

let me explain in pictures coming from this :

Screen_Shot_2015-03-25_at_16.36.27.thumb

to this:

Screen_Shot_2015-03-25_at_16.43.13.thumb

no application working (have to wait for apps to be ported) =ok (when it's done in near futur or never), all works on template to be done including a lot of moding... this for a little independent like me...lol so from this point like all the works must be done from ZERO and like we need to enter in details to understand all the new systems (administration, files, moving etc...) did this will worth it in terms of time and money? not very sure of it right now...

am-i the only-one to have this in mind after upgrading my site , i'm not trying to be negative or not constructive but hey... honestly doing all works from ground why not just go on another CMS ? (and i haven't scratched the tchat not upgraded and other questions arround the modules ).

customer from long time ago and...try to wondering what's going next...

Does anyone read and understand the system and what's happening prior to upgrading? With all these posts like @recifbox's, I'm beginning to think no. 

IPS4 is a complete re-write, it was re-done from the ground up to be better. With this in mind, themes, mods, etc... from 3.4 won't work. This is logical as you wouldn't want old code or potentially a "bridge" to slow you down. There are a lot of positives to upgrading but only you as an admin have to weigh the pros and cons of your community and upgrading. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and saying you have to upgrade either.

ok @ForeverPontiac but hey this is community with tools, stories and it's normal to offer them as a minimum the exact same "services" no?

Ok you upgrade and you get only the account and messages ok that's a choice but in other hands , no "compatibility" no easy way to do things this reworks will cost thousand hours of works and Euros for permit us to just pass from 3.4.x to 4.0 to get at the minimum the same level of services.

Another question did invision will maintain code from 3.4.x for a long time (for me long time it's a year) after the switch to permit us to do thing in time, from my point of view i'll need month to do this works and tonight i just try to figure out if this will worth it as it is, if this new version (redesign, re-coded) add more value for my business or not, this is simple as this. because need to learn, new skin method, new ip.content works, new module for ip.content coding new architecture etc etc... and i'm sure ForeverPontiac i'm not totally out of the subject right now,  no ? ;)

ok @ForeverPontiac but hey this is community with tools, stories and it's normal to offer them as a minimum the exact same "services" no?

Confused by your whole statement... IPS offers the major components of their suite: Forums, Blogs, Gallery, etc... They do not offer themes, modifications, etc... that would be 3rd parties (like myself). 

You get to take with you all your data in an upgrade (this is typical with versions of any software) but things made by 3rd parties such as those themes and modifications are on the old platform and not transferable for a good reason. When you buy a new car, you don't say "How come I can't take my old steering wheel, I really liked that steering wheel!" It doesn't fit on the new car because there is different linkages, sizes, technology, etc... etc... The same thing here, you can't take your old theme over because there are different definitions, sizes, the new one has more features that aren't compatible, etc... The world of web has changed a lot since 3.4!

EVERYONE is in the same boat. I actually turned out 100x more happy re-doing my skin because it was a chance to rethink things since the last time I did it, put in my own upgrades and modernizations, etc... No doubt is this a small project for any admin upgrading but you can't improve while staying the same ;)

I would implore you to read the blogs IPS posted about IPS4 and everything it has to offer and why it is this way. I only am writing a small bit because I believe it is every admin's duty before they complain and do the upgrade, to read through what IPS has to say and why exactly they did things the way they did.

IPS has stated that 3.4 will be "supported" with security fix and support for somewhere around 2 years, maybe longer (don't quote me though just what I've heard by reading ;) ). Again it is YOUR duty to inform yourself and figure out if IPS4 is right for your community and if/when that upgrade should take place. I am sure there will be people who say on 3.4 indefinitely. There are 3rd party modifications that I'm waiting on fellow 3rd party developers to finish that my forum depends on so I don't foresee my forum upgrading till later this year (of course there are a lot of variables in that estimation lol)

EVERYONE is in the same boat. I actually turned out 100x more happy re-doing my skin because it was a chance to rethink things since the last time I did it, put in my own upgrades and modernizations, etc... No doubt is this a small project for any admin upgrading but you can't improve while staying the same ;)

I would implore you to read the blogs IPS posted about IPS4 and everything it has to offer and why it is this way. I only am writing a small bit because I believe it is every admin's duty before they complain and do the upgrade, to read through what IPS has to say and why exactly they did things the way they did.

​The new system I admit was a learning curve themeing in the begining just figuring out where everything went was a pain. Decissions whether or not to use designers mode, or even IDE's didn't need them before. Being used to the old ways and why change was my train of thought. Let's just say It didn't take very long to actually enjoy the new way or the speed of the IDE. HTML and CSS have been rewritten accross the board and not just at IPS level. IPS has rewritten this software to fit within these W3c guidelines. Not to make it harder to understand like some would think. Except for me. Lindy and Charles have something going on with my wife to find my hidden billions then have me locked up in the nut house so they can go off and spend it. OK so I stretched a little about my billions to everyone... Cough * Cough. (Trillions)

IPS needed to make a choice. Go forward, or sit in the dust of others. This has never been an option. Some will also see the simplicity in this new generation and take hold where others won't and try and attempt forceing that wheel to conform to the new vehicle.

Reading is the key, and I am not talking about skimming through a document. If people want anything to work properly it is always best to read and understand all documentation whether it is software or preping a boat for its first drop in the water. Because everything is not the same as it used to be, so it is the sole responsability of the administrators, new car owner, or new boat owner to get all facts and information prior to turning the key.

All we can do to make it easier is to rewrite the documents for easier reading for the non developer lay people.

​CaptJeff is there some purpose that I missed here about the topic at hand? Just incase it has to do with upgrading a forum test board to IPS 4.0 betas and RC's not skins paid or free. You may want to look in the marketplace for that information.

Ok you upgrade and you get only the account and messages ok that's a choice but in other hands , no "compatibility" no easy way to do things this reworks will cost thousand hours of works and Euros for permit us to just pass from 3.4.x to 4.0 to get at the minimum the same level of services.

Another question did invision will maintain code from 3.4.x for a long time (for me long time it's a year) after the switch to permit us to do thing in time, from my point of view i'll need month to do this works and tonight i just try to figure out if this will worth it as it is, if this new version (redesign, re-coded) add more value for my business or not, this is simple as this. because need to learn, new skin method, new ip.content works, new module for ip.content coding new architecture etc etc... and i'm sure ForeverPontiac i'm not totally out of the subject right now,  no ? ;)

Not to be blunt but did I not explain clearly about removal and disabling skins and mods? If not let me know where I am unclear and I will do a rewrite. As far as this article goes it is written as a 3rd party "How To" article for those willing to take the time attempting a first hand test upgrade at this point.

i didn't see it mention here - but once you login to 4.0 ACP you should go to System > Support > Choose Something isn't working correctly.

it does some other tests to make sure things are done - like running some database queries, and cleaning caches.

​Which is also a good point... @Ocean West so far I would say I am one of the few lucky ones who have not needed that option (((YET))). But now that I said it... (((Jinx))). Watch now it will happen sure as the sun will rise in the morning... :lol:

​This might have more to do with the fact that your own navigation on this community sucks.  Your inability to discern that the search function is not a downloads directory sucks even more.  Your complaining sucks the most.  Yeppers.

You get the point.  

There's an active Marketplace, with a category for IPS 4 called "Look & Feel."  You'll find the skins in there, where you can filter by Free or Paid.

Does that active marketplace have stuff for 3.4.7? 

Here is my silly analogy.  This thing was like an office building with 24 offices in it.  Each office had 24 filing cabinets with three drawers in each.  Each drawer had 100 folders in it and each folder had 100 files in it.  So...  there were 172,800 places to look to find ONE file out of 17 million 280 thousand.  And then they choose to make the office building 5 floors tall!

That is how I feel when I try to find something.  The navigation or topic titles are a foreign language to me and even when I find what I am looking for I get confused as to what to do with it.  I would still love to find some good tutorials on how to learn all this stuff.  Currently my site is crashed because I was trying to do stuff myself.  So YES I get frustrated.

Thank you for the help.

Jeff

Does that active marketplace have stuff for 3.4.7?

Here is my silly analogy.  This thing was like an office building with 24 offices in it.  Each office had 24 filing cabinets with three drawers in each.  Each drawer had 100 folders in it and each folder had 100 files in it.  So...  there were 172,800 places to look to find ONE file out of 17 million 280 thousand.  And then they choose to make the office building 5 floors tall!

That is how I feel when I try to find something.  The navigation or topic titles are a foreign language to me and even when I find what I am looking for I get confused as to what to do with it.  I would still love to find some good tutorials on how to learn all this stuff.  Currently my site is crashed because I was trying to do stuff myself.  So YES I get frustrated.

Thank you for the help.

Jeff

​So lets Spam unrelated topics because you can't find what you are looking for.... Makes perfect sense to me.

And if Marcher's reply didn't help try this.

docs.thumb.png.652a3d9ba53a231715a22a913

Edited by Woodsman

hi. i tried woodsmans pretty well described steps on page 1 of this topic.
i tried to get a clean upgrade from the productive server onto a test server.
for me, the following steps were necessary in addition to that before the upgrade:
- i cleaned up my default language pack (which was in a mess) as described here:
  https://www.exactservers.com/topic/477-how-to-restore-the-english-us-language-pack/ 
- in the adminCP under system/system/settings/general configuration, check if the settings
  in "Path to 'upload' directory" and "Upload URL" are correct and if not, change them
  and click on change settings.

This thing was like an office building with 24 offices in it.  Each office had 24 filing cabinets with three drawers in each.  Each drawer had 100 folders in it and each folder had 100 files in it.  So...  there were 172,800 places to look to find ONE file out of 17 million 280 thousand.  And then they choose to make the office building 5 floors tall!

​However each of those 24 offices have a name on the door, each filing cabinet is labelled along with labels on the drawers and folders. Each file has its own title. How would it be easier if we simply put 172,800 files in a single box labelled "Box" and asked you to find the one with the right name on it?