Upgrade from IP. 3.4.x to IPS4.0 (updated)

Another thought comes to mind... Php and MySQL versions.... Are these also up to date? There is a version issue where the converter nor the upgrader will work properly. To be honest at this point I can't remember exactly where that cut off is.

Here it would be a great help for @Matt to chime in for clarification...

Did anyone upgrade IP.Content in the process from 3.4 to either 4.0 or 4.1?

Probably the worst effected side for me, yet I have managed to get most of it back working. I do find it frustrating, as this seems to be a poor area during the process and now I am left with articles which are unable to be reached.

@Woodsman did you upgrade IP.Content?

1 hour ago, Joey_M said:

Probably the worst effected side for me, yet I have managed to get most of it back working. I do find it frustrating, as this seems to be a poor area during the process and now I am left with articles which are unable to be reached.

My upgrade from 3.4.8 to 4.0.13 included IP.Content and it was flawless. The only problem I had was old URLs were not directed to the new ones for which I had to write rules to .htaccess

18 minutes ago, ABGenc said:

My upgrade from 3.4.8 to 4.0.13 included IP.Content and it was flawless. The only problem I had was old URLs were not directed to the new ones for which I had to write rules to .htaccess

Did you get a white page?

Like this - Link

This is what happens for me, yet mostly it takes forever to even load.

1 hour ago, ABGenc said:

Would you mind sharing those extra rules? Just want to see how you did it....

Thanks

17 minutes ago, media said:

Thanks

Sure I can but they all depend on the DB names. Currently I dont have access to my .htaccess, I can post them when I go home.

By the way I was told by IPS Support that the redirection would be made automatically but there was a bug. It was tolda to be fixed in 4.1 but still remains. I have an open ticket for it waiting for a reply.

2 hours ago, Joey_M said:

Like this - Link

In a way , yes. Since the page contents on old version differed from the new ones I had to rebuild my blocks and pages. That may be the reason that you got white pages but it is normal cause the templates, block etc all are different from the old version.

Since I had a test site and I know what I was going to see, I was prepared and able to build my pages in minutes.

Did you also notice that your home page and forum also takes almost a minute ( 50-55 seconds ) to load ? I believe you have a server side issue rather than application..

By the way this is what I get when I click the link above ( after almost waiting 3 minutes )

Connection Timed Out

Description: Connection Timed Out

Edited by ABGenc

1 hour ago, ABGenc said:
48 minutes ago, ABGenc said:

In a way , yes. Since the page contents on old version differed from the new ones I had to rebuild my blocks and pages. That may be the reason that you got white pages but it is normal cause the templates, block etc all are different from the old version.

Since I had a test site and I know what I was going to see, I was prepared and able to build my pages in minutes.

Did you also notice that your home page and forum also takes almost a minute ( 50-55 seconds ) to load ? I believe you have a server side issue rather than application..

By the way this is what I get when I click the link above ( after almost waiting 3 minutes )

Connection Timed Out

Description: Connection Timed Out

Sure I can but they all depend on the DB names. Currently I dont have access to my .htaccess, I can post them when I go home.

By the way I was told by IPS Support that the redirection would be made automatically but there was a bug. It was tolda to be fixed in 4.1 but still remains. I have an open ticket for it waiting for a reply.

It's weird, as I didn't experience any issues until I changed things surrounding IP.Pages.

After I sorted the template, so that it operated using 4.1's rather than 3.4's - this happened. I had thought it may be down to the fact visitors are making their way to the content and in turn this causing the issues. As I experienced temporary slowness by clicking one of the articles - I really don't know.

I'm speaking to my host now about it. :)

13 hours ago, Joey_M said:

A while back there was a bug with Content converting to Pages as I remember. Pages has been a issue with me as well where I would have to do  a rebuild on them. And by this I mean from scratch, blocks and pages...

At this point I am in the process of building a fresh 4.1.3.2 suite on my local. Then if all goes to plan I am going to download my pages files from a 4.0 test and see what effect they will have on the fresh install. Hope fully under the new framework all will go well.

11 hours ago, Joey_M said:

Like this - Link

Wow! I clicked your link 2 minutes ago now finished answering my post above now at 5:30pm my time it's still trying to resolve.

Which versions of php and MySQL are installed on your server? (5:32 still resolving in MS Edge)

https://community.invisionpower.com/4docs/getting-started/upgrading-from-3x-to-40-things-to-know-r136/

In the above link from @bfarber you will find a system checker.... Check and see if your server passes to go forward with IPS 4.0 and 4.1

BTW at this point it is now 5:49pm and MS Edge is still trying to resolve.... I'd say it was stuck!... LOL!

9 hours ago, Woodsman said:

A while back there was a bug with Content converting to Pages as I remember. Pages has been a issue with me as well where I would have to do  a rebuild on them. And by this I mean from scratch, blocks and pages...

At this point I am in the process of building a fresh 4.1.3.2 suite on my local. Then if all goes to plan I am going to download my pages files from a 4.0 test and see what effect they will have on the fresh install. Hope fully under the new framework all will go well.

Wow! I clicked your link 2 minutes ago now finished answering my post above now at 5:30pm my time it's still trying to resolve.

Which versions of php and MySQL are installed on your server? (5:32 still resolving in MS Edge)

I've been told by IPS there's supposedly a missing block throwing an error, which is causing this but I have no idea how to fix this (I don't see why it's my fault either). Yet the sites riddled with EX errors, none of which go a way.

My site worked perfectly on 3.4, it's quite a painful upgrading and is causing issues for all of my sites.

My server uses the following versions.
PHP 5.4.45

Mysql 5.5.46

On 20.11.2015 15:20:08, media said:

Thanks

Sorry for the delay. Here are the rules I have written after the upgrade.  There may be mistakes so any corrections and suggestions are welcome

# Old DB Homepage to new one. Replace dbname with your DB name in production 
RewriteRule ^page/dbname /dbname [R=301,L]
# Old DB articles to new one
RewriteRule ^page/dbname/_/(.*) /dbname/$1 [L,R=301]
# Old forum links to new one.
RewriteRule ^forum?$  /forums [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^forum/?$  /forums [R=301,L]

7 hours ago, welshtony said:

Brilliant thank you. Seems I need to phone my provider up for a few updates lol.

Capture.thumb.PNG.a617b015283ddf8e016885

Thank you but we dont celebrate that till Christmas day here in the UK but thank you anyway.

Hope all you lot have a great thanks giving :)

Now you have the tools to be on your way!

Any Day I wake up with my nose a minimum of 6 inches above the dirt line is a day of thanks... :smile: