PageSpeed Insights -Going to Improve?

Myr

• 1 year later...
On 1/15/2015 at 11:51 AM, bfarber said:

On a completely fresh install of beta 5a we saw yesterday a score of 91/100 with the Pagespeed tool for Desktop, and 83/100.  Note that this can depend upon your server configuration (for instance, whether or not you have gzip enabled for resources).

We will not be addressing the "Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content" items that the pagespeed tools refers to at this time, because it is extremely (near impossible) to handle this properly in dynamically generated software that users subsequently adjust and modify.  For instance, the tool suggests putting all CSS necessary to show the "above the fold" content inline into the page, and then using javascript at the bottom of the page to import the rest of the CSS.  Firstly, the amount of CSS that constitutes what is necessary "above the fold" would be astronomical, and you would take a hit elsewhere with respect to reducing the page size and caching.  Secondly, it would be very error prone once you start factoring in addons, plugins, third party skins and template edits.  Finally, because of the amount of CSS necessary, it would likely reduce your score in other areas.

That said, with a fresh install showing a score of 91/100, we feel that is a pretty respectable score. :)

So now we are 2 years later and you are getting a 41%...still respectable????

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?hl=en&utm_source=wmx&utm_campaign=wmx_otherlinks&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.invisionpower.com%2F&tab=mobile

4 hours ago, sadams101 said:

It is, if that is not your priority.

Commonly the page speed can be improved by yourself and not by the forum software itself.
There was a topic on that recently:

You can easily improve by small adjustements your speed on mobile/desktop. Mostly, its caching that need to be done server related. Critical CSS(Block rendering) is the only way IPS could improve. But that is really difficult to achieve it and too time consuming that it would be worth it.

9 hours ago, sadams101 said:

A lot of the page speed insights require server-side configuration changes and aren't controllable at the software level, however having said that, I'm actually in the process of reviewing page speed reports for an upcoming release incidentally to see where we can make improvements. :)

12 minutes ago, bfarber said:

A lot of the page speed insights require server-side configuration changes and aren't controllable at the software level, however having said that, I'm actually in the process of reviewing page speed reports for an upcoming release incidentally to see where we can make improvements. :)

Do note - 4.1.19 is several points faster than the previous. But this is true only for the default theme. Themes using custom CSS excite render-blocking JS. This means the renovation of themes.
Please test your improvements with a custom theme - not only default :thumbsup:

Your consistent ignoring of google speed recommendations drags everyone's rankings down. The only reason people have forums is to reach more people, not less people. I control my server, and do plenty to optimize it, but some of the things only you can do. I've reported them to you for years, but hit the same basic brick wall. For at least 10 years now, developing sites using google insights and tools is the norm, but unfortunately not for IPB.

• Management
8 minutes ago, sadams101 said:

Your consistent ignoring of google speed recommendations drags everyone's rankings down. The only reason people have forums is to reach more people, not less people. I control my server, and do plenty to optimize it, but some of the things only you can do. I've reported them to you for years, but hit the same basic brick wall. For at least 10 years now, developing sites using google insights and tools is the norm, but unfortunately not for IPB.

We make optimizations quite often and as a staff member pointed out above we are currently doing another review.

However, as many have pointed out, a lot is on the server side as well which we cannot do anything about. For example, I just ran a Google report on your site and the first thing it flagged is that your server does not have compression enable for output.

Funny you mention that...I've got a ticket in now asking why compression isn't working on my site. It doesn't work on the default skin, or my custom skin, even with all plugins disabled. It does work on my article site, which is one level above it. The exact same code isn't working on the forum. Makes no sense, but again, this was working fine until one of your recent updates (I find that many of your updates break work I've done in the past to speed things up.)

I think some guys here a bit overacting. Obviously it isn't 100% perfect, but at least it allows you to easily reach 90/100 for Desktops. I have achieved more than 90/100 and there is still a minor issue I need to fix serversided and 2 issues which needs to be fixed by IPS.

Even though pagespeed insight reports are important too me as well, it doesn't really represent loading times, which is the actual SEO factor. Serversided you can do a lot in order to offer great forum speeds. In short my point is that IPS optimizations aren't that bad that you can't achieve 90/100 on your own. I am willed to help some of you guys

• Management

An unmodified IPS4 theme, on a fresh install, with JS setting to above </body> tag, and running on a properly configured server should get a Google Pagespeed score of at least 90/100 (or more) on Desktop. Now this is on our Community in the Cloud hosting which is of course optimized as much as it can be. Google Pagespeed reports take both the hosting environment and the output of the software into account when giving a score.

Once people start posting content, images, and so on then things can change but of course that is hard to predict. Also I find that these pagespeed tools will sometimes return different results running it on the same site multiple times which is odd.

We have to review these reports every so often as places like Google sometimes change the "rules" and we are doing that now. Those changes will be in a future release.

4 hours ago, Charles said:

An unmodified IPS4 theme, on a fresh install, with JS setting to above </body> tag, and running on a properly configured server should get a Google Pagespeed score of at least 90/100 (or more) on Desktop. Now this is on our Community in the Cloud hosting which is of course optimized as much as it can be. Google Pagespeed reports take both the hosting environment and the output of the software into account when giving a score.

Once people start posting content, images, and so on then things can change but of course that is hard to predict. Also I find that these pagespeed tools will sometimes return different results running it on the same site multiple times which is odd.

We have to review these reports every so often as places like Google sometimes change the "rules" and we are doing that now. Those changes will be in a future release.

I agree to that, but I want to add that you could offer an option to compress at least avatar images / other images which are being uploaded to the forum system. That does also contribute to a better pagespeed and pagespeed insights results.

Archived