Mail Bouncer - Automated Bounce Management

11 minutes ago, stoo2000 said:

I haven't had any reports of that, but if you can submit a support ticket here: http://ipb.silvesterwebdesigns.com/index.php?app=nexus&module=support&section=new&department=5 I can certainly take a look to see if there's an issue there.

There is a 3.x version included, it only supports Mandrill (and they no longer want your bulk mail).

Would I be able to use it to at least clean up the likely enormous number of bounces I'm sending from my server?  I haven't cleaned up bad emails in a long time. I don't mind paying Mandrill (MailChimp) for a few months, as long as it's a monthly subscription with no yearly contract required.  I could then switch to SparkPost when I move to 4.x, but even that may still cost me monies. 

..Al

15 minutes ago, AtariAge said:

Would I be able to use it to at least clean up the likely enormous number of bounces I'm sending from my server?  I haven't cleaned up bad emails in a long time. I don't mind paying Mandrill (MailChimp) for a few months, as long as it's a monthly subscription with no yearly contract required.  I could then switch to SparkPost when I move to 4.x, but even that may still cost me monies. 

..Al

Yeah, that's feasible. I don't see any problem with doing that.

I purchased this mod, installed it on my 3.4.x forum, created a Mandrill account, setup DNS entries as necessary, and made some modifications to my firewall so my server could connect to Mandrill's servers.  I then tried to enable Mandrill support from within the ACP, but received an error that authentication failed (I was using the proper username and API key for the password).  "The information provided was not accepted by Mandrill. Please check the values provided and try again"

I ultimately tested it via telnet and received an authentication error (bad password), so I now have a support ticket open with Mandrill so they can help me. 

Has anyone else ever seen this?

3 hours ago, sobrenome said:

My community does not receive new members since Wednesday. I guess it is related to Bouncer.

I mean, valid members.

People register, but does not validade the account by email.

I used to have more than 20 new valid users per day.

Download the update. This was fixed ^_^

I've installed this app yesterday. In sparkpost reports i can see i had two hard bounces (mailbox unavailable) but Mail Bouncer shows nothing... is this normal?

Edit: Forget... i forgot clicking in the right tab... as a suggestion maybe an "all" tab with all results would be good ^_^ 

Edited by xtech

Mandrill responded and stated, "It looks like your question may be answered in our Knowledge Base. Please take a look at the following article for more information, and let us know if you have any additional questions."  Seriously?  I sent a detailed report describing what was happening and ways I tested it, and you send me a generic response stating to look in the knowledge base (which I had done before, and is not terribly helpful)?  Thanks. 

..Al

18 hours ago, AtariAge said:

Mandrill responded and stated, "It looks like your question may be answered in our Knowledge Base. Please take a look at the following article for more information, and let us know if you have any additional questions."  Seriously?  I sent a detailed report describing what was happening and ways I tested it, and you send me a generic response stating to look in the knowledge base (which I had done before, and is not terribly helpful)?  Thanks. 

..Al

Mandrill made it clear a while ago they don't want small customers... even paying ones.

@Janyour this is a bug that @stoo2000 is aware of. Contact him using the official support website at http://ipb.silvesterwebdesigns.com/index.php?app=nexus&module=support&section=new&department=5 and he will provide you with the updated file.

BTW. SparkPost IP addresses are constantly being listed in blacklists such as SORBS.net. When this happens, emails sent to servers that check the sending IP address against a blacklist will be marked as reported as spam, even if the user didn't mark the email as spam (he won't even get the email). The only solution to that is to move to a paid account and request a dedicated IP address.

Is it possible to upgrade the app to work with the PHP mail system or SMTP mail of the website server or does it need special info that rely on third party services?

For me it's important because email costs are rising and I would like to send some bulk mailing by my own server.

And for that, would be great to have the features of Mail Bouncer, mainly not to send email for users that mark the email as spam or for those which mail boxes are rejecting emails.

I guess that xenforo bulk mail has these features even for PHP mail, but I am not sure.

@sobrenome That would require a new app. Here is why.

When you use a third-party email service, the service automatically generates reports of emails that have bounce issues, and the Mail Bouncer app reads this list through an API, and update the members accordingly. This is a somewhat "easy" process to be implemented.

When we send emails using our own server, such list is not generated. You would need to somehow configure an email address to handle bounces, and have an app to read this email account and process each bounce and figure what is a hard bounce and what is a autoreply or "soft" bounce. This is way harder to be implemented. No programmer seems to have developed such app for IPS yet. Maybe you can hire a programmer to create this app for you.

Another advantage of third-party sending services is that they also handle when the user reports your email as spam.

In fact, we have a dedicated email server and moved to Mandrill and now to SparkPost just because of the convenience of Mail Bouncer.

10 hours ago, Gabriel Torres said:

@sobrenome That would require a new app. Here is why.

When you use a third-party email service, the service automatically generates reports of emails that have bounce issues, and the Mail Bouncer app reads this list through an API, and update the members accordingly. This is a somewhat "easy" process to be implemented.

When we send emails using our own server, such list is not generated. You would need to somehow configure an email address to handle bounces, and have an app to read this email account and process each bounce and figure what is a hard bounce and what is a autoreply or "soft" bounce. This is way harder to be implemented. No programmer seems to have developed such app for IPS yet. Maybe you can hire a programmer to create this app for you.

Another advantage of third-party sending services is that they also handle when the user reports your email as spam.

In fact, we have a dedicated email server and moved to Mandrill and now to SparkPost just because of the convenience of Mail Bouncer.

There are newsletter apps for Wordpress that do precisely what you described.  However, I still recommend using a third party for sending emails because it is easy to be flagged.

What I would like from IPS is a way to distinguish "transactional email" from "bulk email" in such a way that you could use separate services for both. 

• 2 weeks later...