only 5 users in the free version?

.Ian

AFter gaining more knowledge on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that 5 users is pretty decent considering it's a free service. I mean like they said "It is still a business" and in businesses the whole point is to gain a profit. The needs to pay the product developers, staff members, support staff, and then on top of that the servers costs for the entire board and its' hosted client is more essential then the needs of a couple members.

Oh and why do you take posts the wrong way? You should read carefully he didn't mean it in that way.

And for some other people, please try reading the above posts first before going and asking the same thing that 2 or more other people asked (when the info is right there <_<)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever I posted, I'd like to point out that I wasn't complaining. I fully understand that IPS could charge us for the application. How wonderful that it's free!

Personally, I was just a bit surprised by the number. As I stated in my post, I understand that the application is running from your servers. I understand that having a higher amount of chatters would cause an overload. I understand all that. I was just honestly surprised that the maximum was only five people.

All that being said, I guess we can't really place a finger on the exact amount of users we would require. If IPS said ten free slots, people would say fifteen. If they said fifteen, people would say twenty. Putting an exact limit on things is hard.

Five is probably an ideal amount for a small community. I'm just curious what a larger company would do when it comes to something like this. I guess pay extra for more slots. Maybe IP.Chat should be sold as an actual product, a product that people can host solely on their servers?

I guess pay extra for more slots.

Well of course. They let you evaluate the product for free - even use it for free on an ongoing (but limited) basis. If you like it and its popular, you will pay what I would guess will be a modest fee. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Maybe IP.Chat should be sold as an actual product, a product that people can host solely on their servers?

Clearly IPS has decided this application will work better as a software service than a distributable application. I don't see anything wrong with that.

• Management

We're obviously not out to get rich on the chat service :) we view it as a value-add to IP.Board itself.

The 5 online users is designed for small communities and those who wish to try before they buy. It is also designed as a free benefit to active IP.Board service license holders much like our spam service.

While prices are not announced yet, I can say that the next level up from the 5 online limit is currently planned to be less than $2.00 per month if that helps calm anyone. IPS has a track record of being customer friendly and we are surely not going to mess up that track record now.

While prices are not announced yet, I can say that the next level up from the 5 online limit is currently planned to be less than $2.00 per month if that helps calm anyone. IPS has a track record of being customer friendly and we are surely not going to mess up that track record now.

Seems very reasonable to me. :)

Hold on a moment here - I am now being accused of complaining about something that is free. That is not true. Not my intention.

I was merely saying that I thought 5 was too low - given that no site has yet used more than 5 concurrently I was saying that 5 seemed low.

I am very sorry that as a customer that is wrong.

It seems pretty reasonable to me. I'll have to wait and see on the issues. I might offer IP.Chat in addition to my other chatroom until the features are close to parity. IP.Chat is a bit feature-light right now. (understandably as it is the 1.0 version).

I will say that my chatroom has a minimum of 3 people in pretty much 24/7 as my site has a worldwide audience. It is not uncommon to have 15 members in chat.

We're obviously not out to get rich on the chat service :) we view it as a value-add to IP.Board itself.

The 5 online users is designed for small communities and those who wish to try before they buy. It is also designed as a free benefit to active IP.Board service license holders much like our spam service.

One point of clarification please? Is the free account just one per person, or one for an active IP. Board Lis. I have 4 lis. can I have 1 free for each active lic.?

Fun fact: The only chat room I've seen, to date, go over 5 active online users is here on our own forums, and that's only been (1) when we first opened the service (everyone wanted to check it out) and (2) when I specifically posted a topic asking people to join.

You may want to check that fact, our chat room has had 10 people online at one point.

• Management

I still think that IPS needs to add the ability to create private chat rooms. It just seems limited in allowing only one particular room to chat in.

The original topic announcing the IP.Chat service stated we are going to be adding private chat rooms.

We want to get "normal" chat working perfectly before getting into lots of new features.

I am just attempting to check out this chat feature. I have a small board and haven't been able to figure out chat options yet, so we were using Meebo. I'm excited to give it a try - even if only 5 can chat for now!

Thanks to the staff. It seems each of you had to repeat each other a few times and I'm sorry for that! I think it's great that they offer anything for free!

Off to read up on the chat announcement.. :)

Archived