only 5 users in the free version?

.Ian

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm pretty ok with it all... I just looked at my package and most online since Dec 2 install was 12.. I normally have 10 to 15 on my old chat... Only problem is we are an online club and hold meeting online using chat.. so once a month or so we coud have 25 to 40 ( have seen this in the past) when our meeting pick up in the spring.. we also use the PM system on our old chat.. (blabchat)

I am very excited to have a IP.Chat product to streamline my site.. I was using my own server based chat (dedicated server) really never a problem with load or bandwidth ... It is nice to get away from 3rd party apps... Chat and CMS

Dean

Are there any chat installation instructions? My search wasn't effective. When I finally got chat working, it turned out to be a trial version of parachat.

Jeff

As I recall, they're included in the zip package.

Extract the zip
Upload the contents of "upload" folder to your forum root directory
Via ACP Manage Applications, install "IP.Chat" application.

Hmmm, I like the idea of IP.Chat. However I have a question that may be a bit niche.

One of our sites is for our filmmaking endeavors. One of the things we have always wanted to do is set up a live chat with cast crew and our audience - kind of a QnA. Now don't get me wrong we may only get one man and his dog chatting to us on occasion (we're pretty underground). But at least one of our actors has a small fan-base and I suspect we'd get more than ten chatters including cast and crew. It could get quite busy in fact as one of his followers is a mod of ours, who is good at putting the word about amongst his fans.

What are the possibilities of having the free chat, but for when we have our main live chat we could pay for one month of premium service then after that return to just the 5 chatters? I suspect the chat room wouldn't be used when not having a QnA evening so 5 users (or perhaps the cheapest option next up) may be sufficient.

Also can advertising be added to the chatroom? Could be good for recouping the costs when we have DVD's to sell.

Would also be good to publish the chat-log later too, for those that missed the chat.

You, as the account owner, will have access to chat logs. It would be up to you if you wish to post them or not for your users.

As for your question about one-month upgrades, I couldn't say for sure since I'm not positive that the package and payment levels have been worked out yet. Might be best to wait until we announce prices to ask that.

IPS can not handle it for free more than 5 people, so let's do this, so it went through our servers. Only abnormal people buy chat for 50-250 people for such money, the fact is that money is already injured.
do you feel Shoutbox redeem or directly to the IRC chat forum.

ips to note how little money you start asking for some simple services that you offer.

I honestly don't see the problem with the 5 users for free limit, its nice that IPS have given something to the small boards, but I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned the Shoutbox.

If you want more than 5 users, just use the Shoutbox, which is effectively a live chat room in all but name. You can chat in a global shoutbox as you browse between topics, or go to the dedicated shoutbox page with more slightly more features.

I can't see how IPChat and IPShoutbox differ unless I'm missing the obvious.

People have been asking for private shout facility in it for months but there isn't one, so how is it any different to IPChat? It also runs on your own server, so that satisfies the requirements of some of the posters in this topic already.

I have a small board and 5 users would be fine with me, but I don't see any reason at all why I would want to switch to the new IP.Chat software. Not to have a dig, I just don't see the point unless maybe the Shoutbox slows down with a large number of users, but I've never been aware of of that.

• Management

....Now don't get me wrong we may only get one man and his dog chatting to us on occasion (we're pretty underground). ....

If you can get the dog talking on camera, let me know. That would be worth promoting.

Reitaksvk, we'd love for you to use IP.Chat but it's not compulsory. :)

Correct me if im wrong (and sorry for the bump) but from reading this, I think part of the problem is the "jump" from the FREE 5 to the PAID 20.

People are saying "oh i get 6 or 7" and they dont justify paying for 20 users when they just need 1 or 2 more slots.

On the same token, it is most likely not feesable for IPS to do credit card transactions on a lower value, so for the 20 members at 20 dollars a year, something like a 10 member plan would need to be around $10 .... minus processing fees, and there is not much profit left for IPS in such a low value transaction. (I could be wrong....)

Thats just the jist of what people seem to be having an issue with..... It just seems like the leap from 5 online to 20 is a bit much, and a 10 member plan would fill that need (at a cheaper price.)

• 2 weeks later...

Always makes me laugh what people find to complain about. 5 for free is very reasonable considering the bandwidth you can use if they stay in chat all day... Ive just got the 50 package for like 29 dollars a year, probably about 25 quid, which is like less than 3 quid a week. I'll just skip McDonald one day a week, and it'll pay for itself.... :whistle:

My host wont even let me have a shoutbox, if i host it myself, so a chat room and a shout box.... they'd have a dickey fit

I for one appreciate the IP chat, its a job well done :thumbsup:

All we need now is the ability to create different rooms, and private chat so me and my co-admin can talk in private about the members without them seeing it and it'll be perfect :devil: but enough said about that :whistle:

• 2 months later...

what is the big deal, the 5 user chat is free and if you don't like it, buy elsewhere...

even tho i have a social eng site, the vast majority use shout, i would like it to upgrade to 10 users but if not, Shout WORKS...

for those looking to hook up one on one, then tinychat with it's ability to have private rooms is the way to go, no cost, 12 user limit..(w00t)

Archived