I can't delete a topic

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

I can't delete a topic, I have all the permissions to do this. When I try it I get this error:

DELETE FROM `iBBS_core_search_index_tags` WHERE index_id IN( SELECT index_id FROM `iBBS_core_search_index` AS `core_search_index` WHERE index_class='IPS\forums\Topic' AND index_item_id=102880 )
IPS\Db\Exception: Table './chapala_chapala_com/iBBS_core_search_index' is marked as crashed and should be repaired (145)
#0 /home/chapala/public_html/webboard/system/Db/Db.php(1300): IPS\_Db->preparedQuery('/*chapala_chapa...', Array)
#1 /home/chapala/public_html/webboard/system/Content/Search/Mysql/Index.php(363): IPS\_Db->delete('core_search_ind...', Array)
#2 /home/chapala/public_html/webboard/system/Content/Search/Mysql/Index.php(247): IPS\Content\Search\Mysql\_Index->_deleteTagsFromIndex('IPS\\forums\\Topi...', 102880)
#3 /home/chapala/public_html/webboard/applications/core/sources/DeletionLog/DeletionLog.php(215): IPS\Content\Search\Mysql\_Index->removeFromSearchIndex(Object(IPS\forums\Topic))
#4 /home/chapala/public_html/webboard/system/Content/Content.php(1152): IPS\core\_DeletionLog->save()
#5 /home/chapala/public_html/webboard/system/Content/Content.php(1097): IPS\_Content->logDelete(Object(IPS\Member))
#6 /home/chapala/public_html/webboard/applications/forums/sources/Topic/Topic.php(1260): IPS\_Content->modAction('delete', NULL, NULL, false)
#7 /home/chapala/public_html/webboard/system/Content/Controller.php(1034): IPS\forums\_Topic->modAction('delete')
#8 /home/chapala/public_html/webboard/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(107): IPS\Content\_Controller->moderate()
#9 /home/chapala/public_html/webboard/system/Content/Controller.php(50): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#10 /home/chapala/public_html/webboard/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(39): IPS\Content\_Controller->execute()
#11 /home/chapala/public_html/webboard/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(153): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->execute()
#12 /home/chapala/public_html/webboard/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#13 {main}

I already tried to repair the table but I get this error:
Error: Can't create new tempfile: './chapala_chapala_com/iBBS_core_search_index.TMD'

Can anybody help me please!

13 hours ago, David Tingen said:

DELETE FROM `iBBS_core_search_index_tags` WHERE index_id IN( SELECT index_id FROM `iBBS_core_search_index` AS `core_search_index` WHERE index_class='IPS\forums\Topic' AND index_item_id=102880 )

13 hours ago, David Tingen said:

already tried to repair the table but I get this error:
Error: Can't create new tempfile: './chapala_chapala_com/iBBS_core_search_index.TMD'

Are you sure you tried to repair the correct table?

Anyway...possible that you've got more than 1 table with an error. If you or your host really cannot repair those 2 indicated, then here's a worst-case scenario method to resolve...

1. Backup your database
  2. Go into the ACP and turn your site offline
  3. Using PHPMyAdmin (or whatever you want) rename the following 2 tables core_search_index_tags and core_search_index to whatever you want (I'd just put _old on the end)
  4. Back to the ACP, go to the support page - you've end up with a 'Database problems' indicator, so click the 'Fix This' button
  5. Run the provided scripts against your database - either 'Fix automatically' or manually copy them out to run them elsewhere.
  6. Once verified as done, go to admin/?app=core&module=discovery&controller=search and click on 'Rebuild search index'

Our hosting has not been able to repair the database. They created a new database from a backup and tells us: "I recommend updating your configuration file to use the new database name and then see if the database works for your site." Could someone help us with these changes?
This is what they tell us in the email: 

I apologize, I found that I was unable to take a backup of the current chapala_chapala_com database as the crashed table error was preventing the backup from being taken. However, I did upload the 21 MB chapala_chapala_com.sql database into chapala_chapala_com_new on your server. I then tied the same user on chapala_chapala_com to the chapala_chapala_com_new database. However, I can see that your chapala.com/webboard site is custom and I found several configuration files in your site that could be where it calls the database. I recommend updating your config file to use the new database name and then seeing if the database works for your site. 

The configuration file can be found in conf_global.php . The database name and user can be set in that file. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Hi Jim,

When I change the name of the database, I get a 500 error.

Could you help us repair the database, or is there any other way you can make our forum work correctly? And also tell us what the cost would be.

Thank you

Could contain: Page, Text, File

1 minute ago, David Tingen said:

When I change the name of the database, I get a 500 error.

As instructed by your hosting provider, you would also need to change the username.

2 minutes ago, David Tingen said:

Could you help us repair the database, or is there any other way you can make our forum work correctly? And also tell us what the cost would be.

Sorry, database restoration is a hosting provider task as they have the tools, access, and responsibility to do so for your database. As a software provider, we are limited to assisting in such tasks.

You would need to work with your hosting provider to find a backup where the table has not crashed, if they cannot restore it. 

Hi Jim,

Our hosting was already able to restore a database from January, but all the topics and information from January to date were lost. We asked them if they could put the new information in the database and they said "no." Could you help us with this problem?
This is what they tell us in the email:

We are not able to merge content from two different SQL databases as tables cannot be merged. If you would like to have the entries moved over from one SQLDump to another, you will need to work with your Developer to merge the two databases.

This is not something support can assist with and is generally highly discouraged.  There are TONS of interdependencies that link topics with posts, that are associated with other actions, etc.  Those interdependencies can cause unintended consequences if you are manually adjusting the database.  

In addition, your site has new posts that are happening since the restore was complete.  Let's say back in January, the last topic ID was 1000.  The next topic in Feb would have been 1001, 1002, etc.  Well...  since that restore, the activity after that restore is now getting those IDs.  Meaning IDs would be mixed up, and lots of things would not match up the way they should.  

With that said, you can try working with a 3rd party resource author to help with this, but just realize it's not a simple operation.  It also means you may have things not working exactly as they should and that IPS itself would generally be unable to assist should something go wrong.  Basically you would be in a situation where you have to restore that database again from the last good backup and lose even more content should the worst case happen.

As Randy mentioned, this is not something which we support, nor do we recommend it. There is a ton of potential for mistakes and errors.

If your hosting provider has verified that in the database copy that had the crashed search index table has no other crashed tables. Have you tried regenerating like Nathan suggested above? Assuming no other tables are corrupted, that may be the solution you're looking for here.

Hi Jim,

Our hosting has already connected the new database, but when I entered the administration panel, a notification appeared that the "Task scan" was not working and it asked me to use the Cron method. Our hosting placed the cron code. But when I select "Use cron (Recommended)" and hit save, it doesn't save and returns to "Run Automatically with Traffic (Default)". Could you help us?

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

• Solution

Once you hit save, it displays the following warning:

In order to enable this setting you must make the .../applications/core/interface/task/task.php file executable (i.e. chmod 0777).

Please ensure you have done that. If you have questions, please contact your hosting provider for assistance.