Deleting IP Addresses does not work

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

3 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

We still have two settings for this that are becoming redundant, make sure that you have AdminCP > Settings > Posting > Prune IPs configured.

Yes, that is set to 3 months.
I have posted posted a link in our client area to a member who haven't visited for 13 years and still have stored member history, poll and registration IP's.

Edited by Canis

On 3/19/2024 at 7:20 AM, MaNiAc LRSC said:

When i download PII informations, there are still tons of IP addresses, which seem to be older than 30 days.
User ***
User ***

The items you are looking at there are moderator logs. Moderator and Admin logs are not removed during the prune process. This is not something that has changed for this version, and has always been the case

12 minutes ago, MaNiAc LRSC said:

Are you sure that this approach is compliant with the EU lawset?

Thats something that you would need to enquire within your local jurisdiction. We provide tools that enable you to do certain things within the platform. We don't provide tools that interpret local laws unfortunately. As per the description on the functions there, one deleted IPs from content items, and the other removes IPs from the member history section. These functions have never removed anything from moderator and administrator logs

Posted (edited)

If that approach collides with current EU law, i guess you would need to change that unless you dont care if you lose every serious EU customer.

Edit: In my opinion this is not a corner problem but fully Invision's responsibility to offer compliant products for a market as big as the EU.

Edited by MaNiAc LRSC

Just now, MaNiAc LRSC said:

If that approach collides with current EU law, i guess you would need to change that unless you dont care if you lose every serious EU customer.

We constantly do change features in our software based on feedback from customers and you're more than welcome to provide that feedback in our Feedback forum. My colleague is simply stating that we provide software tools, not legal services so it would be up to yourself to ensure that you comply with laws through our tools available in our software. 

One other thing to point out… IPS has numerous large global brands who have to deal with not just GDPR but other requirements in other jurisdictions. Those brands have been able to meet their audit requirements and satisfied compliance auditors who have specific training and does this as their full time job and work with teams of lawyers who have spent thousands of hours understanding those laws.

I would be willing to give them a bit of credence versus commentary from random online posts (of which many cases can even be clickbait) or a civilian trying to interpret very complex legalese that does not understand which components are actually applied in each specific scenario. 

13 hours ago, MaNiAc LRSC said:

Edit: In my opinion this is not a corner problem but fully Invision's responsibility to offer compliant products for a market as big as the EU.

Its worth pointing out here, that this is incorrect. There is no responsibility on our part to provide EU compliance. That is not to say we do not provide tools to help you do so, as we do. But the responsibility to be compliant on your own site is for yourself as the owner of your site. 

13 hours ago, MaNiAc LRSC said:

Please feel free to post up any amendments you wish to have made, to our feedback area. At present you are stating this in an area for tech issues in another topic, and this is not something that has changed in any way at all. Its simply the way it works and has always worked. We're open to change on the platform in all areas, but complaining about something that doesnt work you thought it worked without a constructive suggestion for change is really not going to get you anywhere.

• Matt locked this topic