Can I be the only one allowed to create new tags?

Up until now I've worked with the "Open" tagging mode. Anyone can create and use any tag they want. Unfortunately, sometimes members create useless or silly tags. 

I would like to continue to be able to tag any topic I want with any existing tag or with new tags I create when I tag the topic, while restricting other members to use only existing tags, and not be allowed to create new tags. 

Is that possible? If I switch to a "Closed" tagging mode, it looks like I would have to create a list of tags in the ACP, which I wouldn't want to have to do since there are already so many existing tags. 

Thank you!

Edited by David N.

7 minutes ago, David N. said:

Ok thank you, so it's not possible to have only one group allowed to create new tags, but other groups can still use those tags (to tag their topics)? That's what I'm looking for. 

That’s what the “closed tag system” is for. You set up all the tags you want as admin in the ACP and then users can only use those tags. 

Just now, opentype said:

That’s what the “closed tag system” is for. You set up all the tags you want as admin in the ACP and then users can only use those tags. 

I understand that. However I've already created hundreds of tags using the open system before coming to the realization that this may not be ideal after all. If I switch to a closed tag system, I won't be able to use all those tags any longer? 

Moreover, I much prefer to create new tags while I'm tagging a topic, rather than having to go in the ACP every time I need a new tag - although that's something I could work with. 

1 hour ago, David N. said:

I understand that. However I've already created hundreds of tags using the open system before coming to the realization that this may not be ideal after all. If I switch to a closed tag system, I won't be able to use all those tags any longer? 

No, you would have to add them via the ACP in order to be able to use them. There is no way in which to do it in the manner you suggest

If I switch from an open system to a closed system, do I lose all the existing tags and all the tagged topics, or can I manually add the existing tags to the closed system in the ACP and keep all the existing topics tagged as they currently are? 

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

No. If you switch, any tags already present will stay, but no new ones can be added unless they are the ones you specify

Ok so trying to make sure I understand this. 

If I had a tag named "apples" and I switch to a closed system, I have to add "apples" to the closed system (in the ACP) to be able to add that "apples" tag to new topics? 

Edited by David N.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the topic discussion.  I'm still confused about this open vs. closed tag system. 

No. If you switch, any tags already present will stay, but no new ones can be added unless they are the ones you specify

On our 4.7 development site, we have lots of tags in different applications, and for some of our pages.  But in the closed system setup, there is only one tag displayed.  I just tried uploading an image with the closed tag system enabled and sure enough, the only tag offered is the one tag.  

Is the forum system the overarching determining factor for tags?  In other words, if you only have one tag defined in posting, then that applies to gallery, commerce, pages, etc?

11 minutes ago, TracyIsland said:

Thanks for the topic discussion.  I'm still confused about this open vs. closed tag system. 

On our 4.7 development site, we have lots of tags in different applications, and for some of our pages.  But in the closed system setup, there is only one tag displayed.  I just tried uploading an image with the closed tag system enabled and sure enough, the only tag offered is the one tag.  

Is the forum system the overarching determining factor for tags?  In other words, if you only have one tag defined in posting, then that applies to gallery, commerce, pages, etc?

Keep in mind that if you set a closed tag system for the software in ACP -> System -> Posting -> Tags, that is set for all applications. Items inserted in that menu are not specific to Forums.

Keep in mind that if you set a closed tag system for the software in ACP -> System -> Posting -> Tags, that is set for all applications. Items inserted in that menu are not specific to Forums.

Okay, but in your earlier post, you said that any tags already present will stay.  So how come all those other tags I had present in the open system are not present?

3 minutes ago, TracyIsland said:

Okay, but in your earlier post, you said that any tags already present will stay.  So how come all those other tags I had present in the open system are not present?

This is my first time commenting in this topic 😉 . However, believe there is confusion in what my colleague is referring to. They were referring to content which already has been tagged. Whereas, in your previous post, you are referring to tag options in the dropdown.

Wait, you and Marc aren't the same person?

So in an open system, any tags that are added to any type of content, those tags aren't added to a master list of tags? In other words, those tags are just identified only with whatever content at the moment?  

Is this like two separate systems?  But let's say I have tags added in pages, gallery, commerce, and posts, all with the tag Vienna.  Shouldn't the search find those tags?  

I am just not clear on the concept.  From my perspective, there is a big tag bucket. Every time someone adds a tag to a piece of content, that tag is added to the bucket.  If you close the system, I would think I would see the entire list of tags in the bucket, and I could add to that list or delete from that list. 

Open System would mean that a user can type anything in the tag field when submitting content.

Closed System means that an administrator would define those tags and the user could only pick from the options the administrator defined.

Regardless of what system you choose as an administrator, if a user were to click a tag on a content piece or search for a tag, they would be brought to a search results page with all content which has been "tagged" with that particular tag.

For the example I referred to in my last post, imagine now that we have an Open System and a user created a topic called "Peanuts" and tagged that topic with the tag "nuts". The next day, the administrator changes to a Closed System and has the tags "Fruits" and "Veggies" available. If we go to the topic "Peanuts", we will still see that it is tagged with "nuts" because this change does not remove existing tags from content.

@Jim M Thanks for the explanation.  I will also conclude that the user in an open system that tags a topic with yellow and orange does not mean that those tags will appear in the Closed System.  I thought they would.  Instead, you are saying that the administrator must define all tags, including say yellow and orange - they don't carry over.