Template / CSS

Same problem here, following upgrade to 4.7.0.

With "Advanced theme editing" enabled, I can only see core-front-custom-custom.css. None of the other css files are showing. I have also run the support tool and cleared the cache and the issue remains

I made a note of css files I need to revert, after updating but now I'm hamstrung and can't do the reverts.

Not recently, but I have now no way of comparing the two versions to see what's going on and no way of reverting if something is amiss. That's a bit of a setback and more of a 'downdate' than an update.

I have always used the access to the standard CSS files to determine what code to modify (along with the syntax etc), before adding it to my custom CSS. I can't do that now, which is going to make any future additions to the custom CSS far more difficult for me to accomplish.

• Management
5 hours ago, JohnDar said:

I have always used the access to the standard CSS files to determine what code to modify (along with the syntax etc), before adding it to my custom CSS. I can't do that now, which is going to make any future additions to the custom CSS far more difficult for me to accomplish.

That's fair. I can add this to our development documentation.

5 hours ago, JohnDar said:

Not recently, but I have now no way of comparing the two versions to see what's going on and no way of reverting if something is amiss. That's a bit of a setback and more of a 'downdate' than an update.

I'm working on an upgrade step to resolve this. 👍

I have applied the patch and can now see the (allegedly) customised CSS. However, there is still no way to compare it with the standard version to see what might have changed. There is also no way to revert it.

I could go in and hack about in Designer mode, but if everyone is faced with doing that, this change might be counter productive in terms of support volumes?

I think my suggestion in the reply above might be the best solution for both yourselves and customers?

11 minutes ago, JohnDar said:

I have applied the patch and can now see the (allegedly) customised CSS. However, there is still no way to compare it with the standard version to see what might have changed. There is also no way to revert it.

I could go in and hack about in Designer mode, but if everyone is faced with doing that, this change might be counter productive in terms of support volumes?

I think my suggestion in the reply above might be the best solution for both yourselves and customers?

Click the cog icon in the top right of the template/CSS editor and then click 'compare with default'. You should see a diff showing the changes between the default version and your customised version. You should also have a revert button in the top right if it's a modified core CSS file. Note: neither of these will be available if it's a custom CSS file you have created.

• 5 weeks later...

I have just applied the latest update. It flagged two CSS files that were incompatible. Both were reverted before updating. However, once the update was applied, photo attachment thumbnails were missing. This indicated that there were other CSS files which needed attention and a check with the default theme confirmed this,(I couldn't see anything amiss in the templates).

However, there was no way of determining where the issues might be. The only CSS file available for me to edit was custom.css. No others were showing up as modified. I had absolutely no way of checking for other modified CSS, with a view to reverting them.

My only way out of this was to copy the default theme and then laboriously go through every tab, modifying the colours to match my customised theme. I then had to edit the resources and add in all my custom mods. I then had to add in the custom CSS from the broken theme.

This worked and I'm back up and running, but it's two hours of my life that I won't get back. Previously this type of fix would have taken me about two minutes.

Needless to say, I'm deeply unhappy with the removal of the edit feature and concerned about how some edits don't seem to have been picked up, leaving me with no way out other than a ground-up rebuild.

Edited by JohnDar

• 3 weeks later...