invoice has expired but member cannot renew

Go to solution Solved by Stuart Silvester,

Hello,

There are members whose invoices have expired. There is no way for them to pay those invoices or renew the product.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an option to let him resume his membership by paying the expired invoice? 

Right now, the member:

1. Cannot renew or pay the expired invoice 
  2. He cannot choose the same product and add it to the cart, it's NOT available 😞

How is that so? I mean, the product expires and then he cannot pay for it again or even choose the same product and add it to the cart? Am I doing something wrong? Any setting that i missed or is this a known bug?

I signed in as the member, I went to the "manage purchase" area. There is no option to renew or pay. The product's page is not showing ADD TO CART, it's showing view purchase. But the purchase has expired. How can he add the product again? 

image.thumb.png.3d37572cd552fc77ec25ae4eac81b737.png

Thanks

23 minutes ago, opentype said:

Thanks for letting me know. I just do not understand how this issue can be there for years. It blows my mind.

I just saw the release of a new beta fixing "silly" things. This one is critical and it has not been taken care of for years. I really really don't understand 😞

That’s why it never gets fixed. IPS just pretends there is no issue with excuses. The expiration isn’t the point. It’s the fact that an existing expired invoice on file blocks future purchases, which is very clearly wrong and not how ANY other subscription service on the planet is working. If I subscribe to a newspaper and cancel it, I will always be able to start FRESH in the future. Of course I am. It’s what I want, it’s what the newspaper wants. Why would the software prevent it for now reason against my will and the provider’s will? The Washington Post or Netflix aren’t saying “oh, your subscription expired 5 years ago, so you will never ever be able to start a new subscription”. That would be insane. But it is how IPS has coded it. And that it even fine in the sense, that things like that happen. It was probably an honest mistake to set it up like that originally. But it is not fine to not own up to it and correct it after admin after admin runs into this problem for years, loosing money because people willing to continue a subscription can’t and just give up.
Not letting invoices expire is a work-around at best, it’s the not the proper solution. If someone would let the subscription expire and they did not use it for years, the SHOULD be starting fresh with with any product and the current conditions, maybe even higher prices, because their subscription has expired years ago. Why should I set it so that they will forever be able to pick up the old subscription just so users don’t run into this problem of not being able to continue a subscription at all. This is objectively flawed. An expired invoice is meaningless. It should not block people from buying the product like a new subscriber. Anyone with expired subscriptions should get exactly the same offers as someone who never had a subscription to begin with. 

Edited by opentype

13 minutes ago, opentype said:

That’s why it never gets fixed. IPS just pretends there is no issue with excuses. The expiration isn’t the point. It’s the fact that an existing expired invoice on file blocks future purchases, which is very clearly wrong and not how ANY other subscription service on the planet is working. If I subscribe to a newspaper and cancel it, I will always be able to start FRESH in the future. Of course I am. It’s what I want, it’s what the newspaper wants. Why would the software prevent it for now reason against my will and the provider’s will? The Washington Post or Netflix aren’t saying “oh, your subscription expired 5 years ago, so you will never ever be able to start a new subscription”. That would be insane. But it is how IPS has coded it. And that it even fine in the sense, that things like that happen. It was probably an honest mistake to set it up like that originally. But it is not fine to not own up to it and correct it after admin after admin runs into this problem for years, loosing money because people willing to continue a subscription can’t and just give up.
Not letting invoices expire is a work-around at best, it’s the not the proper solution. If someone would let the subscription expire and they did not use it for years, the SHOULD be starting fresh with the current conditions, maybe even higher prices, because their subscription has expired years ago. Why should I set it so that they will forever be able to pick up the old subscription just so users don’t run into this problem of not being able to continue a subscription at all. This is objectively flawed. An expired invoice is meaningless. It should not block people from buying the product like a new subscriber. Anyone with expired subscriptions should get exactly the same offers as someone who never had a subscription to begin with. 

Sorry, I should reword what I said there. This isnt actually bug. Its working as intended at present. While I appreciate you would like that way of it working to change, from a support standpoint, it isnt actually broken at present. 

28 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Sorry, I should reword what I said there. This isnt actually bug. Its working as intended at present. While I appreciate you would like that way of it working to change, from a support standpoint, it isnt actually broken at present. 

Well, broken is not the word. It's not working in a logical way. You bought a product and the product expires, then you cannot pay for the expired product nor can you add the expired product to the shipping cart.

Can you please give us a logical explanation of this ILLOGICAL functionality that goes against all common sense? It's now how he wants it or I want it. You are preventing clients from ever purchasing a product again and there are no clear steps to fix that, neither on the side of the user on the administrator's. It just doesn't make sense at all 😞

There is some confusion here I believe. There should actually be a renewal button on a product. Its subscriptions that there isn't, and that is intentional, while we do have improvement reports in for it.

We would need access, as mentioned in your other ticket. There must be some other reason that person cannot renew

10 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

There is some confusion here I believe. There should actually be a renewal button on a product. Its subscriptions that there isn't, and that is intentional, while we do have improvement reports in for it.

We would need access, as mentioned in your other ticket. There must be some other reason that person cannot renew

User: Saddiq

Invoice: 664

As @opentypementioned, the way it's currently done is flawed, not broken. Neither the user not the administrator have the tools to easily fix the issue, or inform the member on how to proceed if he wanted to renew the product or add the same product with a different price to the shopping cart. No information is given.

5 hours ago, Sonya* said:

@Marc Stridgen from the support standpoint, can you please describe the steps what can be done to allow people with expired invoices to purchase (renew) subscription or product again? 

This is the question for support. Is it possible? If yes, how? Thank you!

You can "reissue" the invoice via the ACP. Which, in theory, should allow the renewal once again. 

Edited by My Sharona

15 hours ago, My Sharona said:

You can "reissue" the invoice via the ACP. Which, in theory, should allow the renewal once again. 

15 hours ago, Sonya* said:

Indeed, the documentation says:

I believe you may have missed comments further down. He should be able to, and there must be a reason why they cant. There has been a ticket created to find out why this is the case

@OptimusBain My colleague has tried  your access details and it appears to be incorrect. Currently awaiting your response on the tickets there

54 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I believe you may have missed comments further down. He should be able to, and there must be a reason why they cant. There has been a ticket created to find out why this is the case

@OptimusBain My colleague has tried  your access details and it appears to be incorrect. Currently awaiting your response on the tickets there

What do you mean? That ACP login details are wrong?

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

@OptimusBain As a follow-up, you can enable a setting to allow a 'renew' button to appear on the manage purchases page. In the product settings (Client Area Settings tab), you can enable the "allow customer to renew?" setting and optionally configure the limitations for this.

This will enable your customers to renew the product subscription after it expires.