Is Tapatalk access a good idea?

Just wondering what other users of Invision think about using the Tapatalk App on your forum. While I don't use it personally, our forum does have the app installed. However, from some recent reading on security issues, I'm feeling it may be a good thing to remove. Does anyone else have feelings about this as it relates to their Invision forums?

From all the reading that I've done, it would seem better to use only the Invision Mobile settings/app, is that correct? Our forum has been around for some years and we have a lot of older members. While they don't always take to change, this seems worth the effort, as we're trying to improve site security.

Edited by usmf

If you're already using the Invision app, there's no need for Tapatalk.  Don't cater to members who look at necessary change as a bad thing; Those are not the people you want representing your community and you should do what's best overall.  You either adapt to change or get left behind.  They do not bring growth to your site. 

Our board used it for barely a few weeks and then promptly removed it after numerous reoccurring issues, one of them being that it would not honor group permissions consistently and members could access content they were not meant to see, including staff-only content. We were told it was a temporary issue and would be fixed, but then it happened again after the "fix", so we said adios and just dealt with not having an app.

We still deal with not having an app because the Invision app does not work for non-forum communities, but we manage.

Thank you to all of you for the advice. After all of that and lots of reading on this, we'll definitely be removing it ASAP. I've been browsing through the Help Guides here, but does anyone know where to point me to some kind of guide discussing how to use the Invision app rather than Tapatalk. Educating the members in advance here will definitely help some of the older ones who struggle with change. Thanks so much!

18 minutes ago, Chris Anderson said:

Further development of the Invision App has been placed on hold by IPS.

Does this mean that the Invision forum software will not function correctly on a mobile device at this point?

2 hours ago, usmf said:

Does this mean that the Invision forum software will not function correctly on a mobile device at this point?

As above to what I said. The forum software is fully responsive and will adapt to any screen size. If you resize your window while viewing the forums, you'll see what I mean.

5 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Not needed to see how it will look on a mobile device.  Make your browser window as narrow as you can on your computer.

Thanks so much! I use that feature to get the feeling, but I didn't realize that is what the mobile device would see. Great to know. We should be good then, so I think we'll issue an announcement. 🙂

I will echo what others have said "AVOID this POS". They act like they are doing you the favor by using their app. It is a total piece of garbage that requires yet another thing you have to update with new versions. Plus, they want you as the site owner to pay to rid that annoying TT signature. Also, they have a backdoor forum that members can post offsite discussions. Stay with IPS mobile.

On 8/2/2021 at 10:04 AM, Chris Anderson said:

Further development of the Invision App has been placed on hold by IPS.

Welp, this is good to know.  Never knew it was deprecated because everything is locked behind a paywall now.