Posts disappearing from board since upgrade to 4.6

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

We upgraded our forum from 4.5 to 4.6 on June 24th. Since then, we've also installed the update and the patch -- so it's currently running version 4.6.3.

Some members noticed yesterday that their recent posts in a certain board were missing. As it turns out all posts since June 29th are missing in that board. Checked with all the moderators, and no one deleted them. A friend works on another forum also running Invision, and they are having similar issues with a couple of their boards ever since the upgrade. Is this a known bug? What is the best thing to do here?

Thanks in advance for help!

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CoffeeCake said:

Did you check the moderator log? What did support say?

Nothing showed in the Moderator log, so it was definitely not a staff member. I never ended up starting a ticket on this one, as we have had three serious issues since and I have worked on those. Only one board in our community appears to have been affected -- and thankfully, it was not an important one.

20 hours ago, Tim Tyler said:

On my forum, after receiving a bunch of 404 Search Console notices from Google, I just noticed that the last posts in several subforums are missing.

Have you submitted a ticket? This seems to be a serious issue.

1 hour ago, usmf said:

I never ended up starting a ticket on this one, as we have had three serious issues since and I have worked on those.

How are you sure it won't happen/isn't happening to posts in other forums?

As Adriano suggested, do you have archiving turned on?

If so, is it a different database (the remote database option)?

2 hours ago, CoffeeCake said:

How are you sure it won't happen/isn't happening to posts in other forums?

As Adriano suggested, do you have archiving turned on?

If so, is it a different database (the remote database option)?

Thanks! We do not have archiving enabled, so that's one thing to cross off the list.

You're right -- there's no way to be totally certain that this is not happening on other boards, though members were quick enough to note their missing posts in the one board and have not noticed in any others. This wasn't an issue that I meant to drop, but we've had a number of other issues come up that have taken all my time and more. It's a very old community that has had a number of Admins over the years. Sadly, the IPS software was not updated for over a period of seven years until things had gotten so bad that it's been a year and a half of clean up. I'm totally volunteer (as is everyone on the community) and while I've managed multiple websites for years, this is the first time I've had experience with forums of any kind. The last seven months has been a real jump into the deep end trying to get things fixed up without upsetting the entire community. The 4.6 update changed a number of things that were considered "important", so it's been a lot to deal with. Until the recent posts on this thread, I realize that this issue had slipped my mind. Oops!

• 4 weeks later...

We have had someone complain about this too. 7M posts over time. Person says they are missing a bunch from various time periods. The compressed forum posts table are 3.3GB before and 3.8GB after. I don't know what the extra 500MB could possible be. At least it isn't smaller. 

Maybe there is a reason why they don't show?

8 hours ago, Zone Plate said:

We have had someone complain about this too. 7M posts over time. Person says they are missing a bunch from various time periods. The compressed forum posts table are 3.3GB before and 3.8GB after. I don't know what the extra 500MB could possible be. At least it isn't smaller. 

Maybe there is a reason why they don't show?

I have created a ticket for you on this. Its impossible to say without investigation why this may have happened. 

• 2 weeks later...