IPB as a LMS

Luis_angel

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, growroom said:

any news on this?

Hey @growroom! Right now we don't have any concrete plans to develop a built-in LMS application, however... I did create a mini course that includes 10 videos slated for Invision Community beginners. Those videos will somehow need to take the user on a little guided journey, so that might be an opportunity for us to crack the door here. Curious, what basic functionality would you like to see? Prefacing this that this doesn't mean we are actively developing this, but inquiring minds want to know 😄

7 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

Hey @growroom! Right now we don't have any concrete plans to develop a built-in LMS application, however... I did create a mini course that includes 10 videos slated for Invision Community beginners. Those videos will somehow need to take the user on a little guided journey, so that might be an opportunity for us to crack the door here. Curious, what basic functionality would you like to see? Prefacing this that this doesn't mean we are actively developing this, but inquiring minds want to know 😄

Hey Jordan! Thats cool!

You just forgot to share the link of your 10 videos with us here! 

8 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

Curious, what basic functionality would you like to see? 

I usually use Pages for this purpose. A category is a course—a record is a Lesson. A problem I run into with this method is that a “category” can’t hold any other information than title and description. There is no category image, no category rating (to rate the course), no custom fields to add additional information about the course. So that is something I would like to see improved. More power to Pages categories. 

2 hours ago, growroom said:

Hey Jordan! Thats cool!

You just forgot to share the link of your 10 videos with us here! 

Haha! Soon! They are almost all done being edited. Just gotta finish that, upload the rest to our YouTube channel (or possibly native right into IC) and then get them formatted in slick way so people can consume. Excited to share it. :] 

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Charles said:

That said, I think we could add a few more basic things that would get you a lot closer to a sort of LMS-light.

Charles, if we could have actions buttons in Pages that are connected to a piece of code (like PHP blocks) then it would solve countless things. Think of:

• How often the button has been clicked
  • Mark something as "finished"
  • Add sub-record to database relationship field via modal window right in the parent record.
  • Add to favorites
  • Hidden download to prevent hot links
  • and so on...

I have created a number of hooks to solve those things. But they are not reusable, requiring the field key and database ID. And they cannot be edited by admin on the fly like PHP widgets.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 12:16 PM, Jordan Miller said:

Curious, what basic functionality would you like to see?

Here's a few:

• Rate courses.
  • Tests / scoring.
  • Enrollment (like joining a club).
  • The possibility of accessing lesson 2 only after finishing lesson 1, like Udemy does.
  • Embed videos (YouTube, Vimeo, etc).
  • Top students (highest score).

I consider a basic LMS a must in today's world. People need to share stuff. The pandemic ruined lots of face to face businesses, but e-learning courses increased massively.

Thanks,

Fernando

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2021 at 12:43 AM, Jordan Miller said:

Maybe I'm more optimistic, but I do think there is potential for Invision to implement an incredible LMS system, and I do see a lot of value in it. It *can* be done. How and when is unclear, but if there's a lot of demand for it I can take this idea to the team and see what they think. Poor guys, I'm hammering them with ideas 😂 but also having too many ideas then not enough is a good problem to have. 

That is the same for Wordpress though. I do think it's possible to offer a great product and great support here. 🙏 

I would love a native LMS in IPS. That would be awesome.

On 11/13/2021 at 4:57 PM, Fernando Mercês said:

Here's a few:

• Rate courses.
  • Tests / scoring.
  • Enrollment (like joining a club).
  • The possibility of accessing lesson 2 only after finishing lesson 1, like Udemy does.
  • Embed videos (YouTube, Vimeo, etc).
  • Top students (highest score).

I consider a basic LMS a must in today's world. People need to share stuff. The pandemic ruined lots of face to face businesses, but e-learning courses increased massively.

Thanks,

Fernando

Could you explain the tests part?  Like a quiz feature for specific lessons ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 4:56 AM, Daniel F said:

Could you explain the tests part?  Like a quiz feature for specific lessons ?

Hi Daniel. A quiz in the end of a lesson is a good thing indeed. However, in the previous post I actually meant exams. Here's what I think it should support:

• Deadline / closing date.
  • Scoring system (the teacher presets the right answers for multiple choice questions).
  • Free text questions (the teacher will have to review it and assign a score).
  • A final score for the exam.
  • As a teacher, if I create an exam with only multiple choice questions, I want to be able to see it with a score assigned automatically (as I have preset the right answers).
  • Set a data to make the exam results visible for the students.

Thank you very much. I can't wait to have something like this in Invision. Currently, I am using Clubs as "student classes" and Polls as exams but of course I have a lot of problems with this approach.

Best,

Fernando

Edited by Fernando Mercês

1. Please don´t forget the Guardian role or parent. We need ability to assign Guardian members (or parents) who can monitoring how is going the student, their activities, scores lessons etc.

2. And inside of student profile need a topics secction where teacher infor or share about the students progress, is there where Guardian members can handle a collaboration job with teachers staff related the student monitored. Teachers staff and Guardian members can open a topic. This is a section only for teacher staff and Guardian members.

3. Section of topics (or channel) for students with Teachers staff and Guardian. 

4. Student profile should be contains permission to enable or disable differents modules which will be can see publicly. (example, scores, exam result, trophies, good evaluation from teachers etc.)

Edited by kmk

• 3 weeks later...

I think the closest you can get into LMS with IPS is use clubs as Courses and share videos and files with only members, sell the course access in the commerce and when they pay the will get instant access to the course. There won't be  a progress view and some other LMS's specific features but I think it will be more than enough, I think.

• 3 months later...

I would LOVE if there was a simple LMS added to my Invision Community. In its simplest form, it could be a table of content in the left sidebar, and some kind of "next" button at the bottom right, just like your own user guide already has - for example:

That coupled with some kind of progress bar, and a way for the reader to tell where they're currently at in the table of content in the left sidebar (which ideally should be sticky or scrolled independently of the main content) would be awesome.

After that, the next step is quizzes/tests, gamification... etc. But that can wait. 

10 minutes ago, Jamynee said:

In its simplest form, it could be a table of content in the left sidebar, and some kind of "next" button at the bottom right, just like your own user guide already has - for example:

That’s possible with Pages databases. 

Here is a product where I use that list of records (“lessons”). 
https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8663-pages-superdocs/
Here is a product which has next/previous buttons for database records: 
https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/10051-pages-supergallery/

But there is no easy way to enroll into such “courses”. Member group permissions can be used of course, but that get messy very quickly, if each course needs its own member group. 

• 9 months later...

the question is whether it will be available in self hosted even if you have to buy the LMS product?

how can we ask to pay $549 / month in order to have an LMS with unlimited live topics when we don't need this server but just a little more than the 10 live topics with the LMS?

We just want to start at the beginning of the live lessons with live topic in micro learning (20 minute lessons) 5 times a week for example with an active community that starts with maybe 10 students.

When we are a small community starting out in online teaching, why would you want to force them to take an offer at $549 / month in a server that they don't need just to start with live online lessons with an LMS? ?

Let administrators launch their community, start with an LMS, enrich it as you want to tell them directly that they need an offer at $549 / month in a server that they really don't need to invest and nor the funds for a small community, especially if it is for leisure.

I am not against having to go to the Cloud, but that then corresponds to my real needs and not from the start with a weak community not yet developed.

we are not all here the LEGO, MATTEL company and such