Delete email address field

ipbhero

This is a very bad thing

Many users do not have the time to complete the fields

And reducing the number of registration fields will increase users

Many sites now only have a mobile number entry in the registration form !!!

6 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

email is the way to communicate with the user

Yes, but some users do not have an email address.

All users have a mobile phone number

Authentication is available to all users through a mobile number

22 hours ago, ipbhero said:

Authentication is available to all users through a mobile number

Says who? I don't know anyone that has a mobile phone number but doesn't have an email address.

Right now, the email address is a required field (if you don't supply it during registration for some reason, i.e. because you use a custom login handler that cannot feed the data over) then the user will immediately be required to provide it post-registration before they can use the community. This is unlikely to change in the near term.

4 minutes ago, bfarber said:

Says who? I don't know anyone that has a mobile phone number but doesn't have an email address.

If memory serves, both Android and iOS require an email address to create an account to use their devices.

23 hours ago, ipbhero said:

Nope.

35 minutes ago, Jim M said:

If memory serves, both Android and iOS require an email address to create an account to use their devices

Actually you can use Android without an email, as well as without phone number.

On 8/5/2019 at 4:40 PM, ipbhero said:

This is a very bad thing

Your logic doesn’t work. Removing the email field (minus one field) and adding a phone field (plus one field) still ends up with the same field count. 

On what planet? I’m using the internet heavily since the 1990s and haven’t once used a phone-number-only community site. 
In regards to privacy, giving websites my phone number is really bad anyway. 

What kind of site are you building?

I believe that eliminating the Email field is a very wrong thing, risks endangering the privacy of users by obliging them with the phone number in addition to breaking ips. If you really want to delete the mail field from the registration, you can hide it and insert a random mail (rand@domain.ext) But how will you do with user and spammer validation?

Not true. Next to that

I don't know any on this moment, there wil be some.... but not many.

When looking around in my surroundings, people rather not want to give their phone number, especially not to forums and things which don't need them. And how would they do the verification? By SMS provider (extra costs) or how? I would not even come near a forum wanting my phone number.

LoL, filling in phone number or email address does not really make any difference in time.

And some don't have smarthphones or even phones all together. Email is needed these days for communication. The poor few without email address can easily enough create one with gmail or hotmail or any other free one.

As said, want to make things faster? Setup social login, however, they have to got an email address for that too. 😉

This is probably the most interesting feedback of the week.  @ipbhero is not wrong - the future will increasingly include registration by telephone numbers, as esoteric as it sounds today.  I've personally registered by telephone twice in the past year.  

The reason is that these registrations are specifically for mobile apps, or websites designed for mobile.  Time spent on mobile, the penetration of mobile, and the number of users with mobile overwhelmingly surpass other device types, especially in developed countries.  

Do I think IPS will implement registration by telephone in the near future? No.  But do I think the future is increasingly mobile and that IPS will react accordingly at the time? Yes.  

Keep up the good suggestions @ipbhero.  You're probably a couple of years early.  

For everyone else, mobility will continue to play a huge role - if not the biggest - in how we interact with our community.

Archived