User keeps having to reset password?

I have an issue with a user who says everytime he goes to the forum, it won't let him login. So he resets the password through email, and then logs in. But process repeats the next time he visits the site. I can see all the failed login attempts and then reset password in ACP.

I suspected his cookies were keeping an old password saved, but he is adamant that's not the case. Anyway didn't think much more of it, but I've now got another person saying the same thing. Any ideas or suggestions I can give them?

2 hours ago, daunk said:

Any ideas or suggestions

Had one member with the exact same scenario.  One of our Admins manually reset his password to a temp one. We tested that we could log in ourselves using his temp credentials and did multiple times.  Gave him the temp and  he was then able to login multiple times without issue .  He eventually changed it himself before logging out days later.  No more problem.

I don't offer this a a technical problem solving method ... the only intent here is to relate how our similar event played out. Have no clue why or even if that was the actual solution or some other random event that happened to coincide. 

Since we'd already changed his password to a temp one, we didn't have an opportunity to just ask him once he logged in to immediately change it himself t via account settings prior to logging out (ie take the password reset process out of the loop) and see if that would have produced the same effect.

Edited by Larry Kachadorian

• 6 months later...

I'm going to commit the egregious sin of bumping an old thread.  But this is still happening in IPS in some kind of corner case.

I now have a second member who is experiencing this issue.

- not using password manager or autofill. members have had to reset their passwords repeatedly in order to log in.  You can see it in the ACP.  they're both frustrated.  The first member it happened to was a forum lead and one of our admins reset his password in the ACP and it resolved.  I just reset the 2nd member's password and asked him to log out manually and log back in before re-setting his password.  We'll see if it resolves.

- neither was using VPN

- neither was using any integrations for signing in, we don't use them.  the 2nd tried all browsers and had the same issue.

I have had this same issue many times over the years and have narrowed it down to the email address vs display name login. In every single case the member was logging in with their email address and when I informed them to login with their display name problem solved no more issues. I have instructed all my members to login with their display name, Yes, I have my login method set to "Display Name" in the ACP and if yours is the same that might be the problem.

Edited by Genestoy

• 3 weeks later...

It is absolutely not normal for a user to have to continuously reset their password, and we're not getting any reports of this in support that I'm aware of. Feel free to submit a ticket if you require assistance.

If you have any third party addons, I would definitely recommend disabling them for a while to test.

• 2 months later...
On 1/11/2020 at 9:24 PM, Genestoy said:

I have had this same issue many times over the years and have narrowed it down to the email address vs display name login. In every single case the member was logging in with their email address and when I informed them to login with their display name problem solved no more issues. I have instructed all my members to login with their display name, Yes, I have my login method set to "Display Name" in the ACP and if yours is the same that might be the problem.

This worked for me

Although I don't see the login method choice in ACP