Blog dissapointment

Aetherdan

7 hours ago, Joel R said:

Just to clarify, those articles are published in the Pages app, which is a first party native app to Invision Community.  It is not built on WordPress.  

Yea totally. I was just saying how I wish it could show comments like that, but on my Wordpress posts. I know there was a plugin for it at one point, but it's outdated, and the plugin developer told me it would cost me $20,000 for him to re-do it. Sigh.

I had a plugin built years ago called Wordvision – when I posted a story in Wordpress, it would also simultaneously make a thread in the forums. Then at the bottom of that story, it would display the comment count. Wish I could still use it. 

2 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

Yea totally. I was just saying how I wish it could show comments like that, but on my Wordpress posts. I know there was a plugin for it at one point, but it's outdated, and the plugin developer told me it would cost me $20,000 for him to re-do it. Sigh.

Just convert your WordPress posts to Pages records and your problems are solved. 

11 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

I had a plugin built years ago called Wordvision – when I posted a story in Wordpress, it would also simultaneously make a thread in the forums. Then at the bottom of that story, it would display the comment count. Wish I could still use it. 

I'll do it for $19,000. Just saying. 

donald duck money GIF

• Management
19 hours ago, AtariAge said:

Just wanted to add my voice to Categories for blogs.  Blogs are quite heavily used on my forum, and I am repeatedly asked about this.

Thank you,

..Al

This was discussed internally again yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to share my disappointing experience as well.  I have waited years before attempting to dig into the Blog feature.  Having just done so, and having WordPress experience, I am now very disappointed.  The basics are not available:

1. Minimum Viable Product
    1. Filtering entries by Tags
    2. Filtering entries by Year/Month
  2. Invision opportunity
    1. Enabling and enforcing common tags across multiple authors/blogs
    2. Filtering, using common tags, across multiple authors/blogs

Defects are cheapest and easiest to find upfront, and the situation strikes me as something that should have been given a bit more thought up front.  When the Blog feature was first thought of, what criteria for success was identified?  Given that Invision is all about communities, this criteria should have included something community-oriented that would otherwise differentiate Invision Blogs from what would be available in a do-anything-you-want WordPress Blog/site.  By this I mean the "Invision opportunity" items above.

It would be most appreciated by the community to see some sort of official statement regarding the Blogs roadmap at this point.

On 5/20/2019 at 7:27 AM, Matt said:

What would be your top 5 blog features on a wish list?

1) Blog categories - Both to sort all blogs (admin defined) and categories that the blog authors can define and use in their individual blog(s)

2) Paid blogs - similar to the current pay to join club feature, this would allow blog authors to charge a fee to read their blog. Ideally, the blog author could decide between charging a subscription fee (access for X months) or a flat rate to read all their current and future entries to that specific blog.

3) Co-Authors - Allow a blog owner to invite another member to co-author their blog. Right now we have this per usergroup, but most people would rather invite a specific member to co-author rather than open it up to everyone in a usergroup.

4) Admin defined custom fields and users sort by these fields - just like clubs.

5) Default sort for entries - Allow admin to specify a default sort order. For example, my members would use blogs for both blogs (most recent entry first) and chapter books (oldest entry first, which would be the first chapter).

Archived