Reply to this topic button, do you use it?

Day_

Are these necessary, I mean really necessary? Haven’t used them once since the upgrade to 4.x.

Why would anyone click reply to this topic before actually reading the posts below?

Start new topic, doesn’t the create link at the top cover that base if needed?

Would love to know if others do and I’m on my own with this, just looks like a waste of space to be honest. 

Moderators actions could be shifted up next to the Follow button

D2286AAF-2516-4A23-A953-A57DA4A5A4C7.thumb.jpeg.bb3dac4075f440282db553d6c1147eb3.jpeg

55 minutes ago, dayh said:

Would love to know if others do and I’m on my own with this, just looks like a waste of space to be honest.

I completely removed this block in the template, because these huge buttons are absolutely useless in this place and take up a lot of space.

I disabled the "Create" link because members, new members especially, were consistently creating content in the wrong areas and not aware of specific sections they could access as they continued to use the website.  I depend on descriptions, custom blocks, custom template modifications, etc. to help guide members to where they need to be depending on what content they want to see, post, or upload.  The create link bypasses all of that and gives them a linear, uninformative path to sections they may not understand and won't understand if the create link is the only option they use.

So, I'll have to politely disagree that all of the buttons are useless.  However, your observation is still partially valid from my perspective as I doubt the "Reply to this topic" button is actually used much compared to most of the other ones.  I use my own custom theme where the buttons are styled to be less of a bold eye sore and take up a little less real estate, but I could probably safely say that 1% or less know that button is there and have clicked it.

I also prefer the text links to be horizontally lined where they are because there are more options than just moderator actions that can show up, depending on which application you're using and/or if you have 3rd party apps installed that add more.

Truth be told, most of the veteran members never really used the create link, so it wasn't a loss to anyone.  It could be an argument about the user-friendliness, but in the end, you can only do so much in layman's terms before you realize people come in all shapes, sizes, personalities, and intellectual abilities with language variables thrown in there.

18 hours ago, dayh said:

Are these necessary, I mean really necessary? Haven’t used them once since the upgrade to 4.x.

Why would anyone click reply to this topic before actually reading the posts below?

Start new topic, doesn’t the create link at the top cover that base if needed?

Moderators actions could be shifted up next to the Follow button

D2286AAF-2516-4A23-A953-A57DA4A5A4C7.thumb.jpeg.bb3dac4075f440282db553d6c1147eb3.jpeg

I agree.  I never use the reply button on mobile or desktop.  It doesn't make sense to reply before reading everything.  

I also question the +create button on mobile.  I really do.  In a large and organized sites with many apps, categories and sub-categories:

-  superusers aren't going to use because they know exactly where to go and post from there.  

- new users aren't going to use because they get overwhelmed and confused on where to post. 

I feel like +create is an attempt at social media - and not a good one - where you can quickly post and everything is a simple, flat bucket.  But that's not IPS.  IPS suites have multiple apps (that don't integrate at all).  There are multiple categories.  And there are multiple sub-categories of categories of apps!

The only time where I think +Create makes sense is if you have ONE app like forums with minimal boards.  A simple, flat board with very few boards or categories.  Even then though, I wouldn't use +Create.  I would recommend something like Quick Topic by @Fosters which is a better call-to-action for forums.  

18 hours ago, dayh said:

Are these necessary, I mean really necessary?

No, but the question already assumes an answer. How would the answer to “is it completely useless in any possible situation” or “can it (even slightly) increase the chances of more replies” be? 

By the way and speaking of the topic header: user avatar, user name und topic creation date are also repeated twice without any need for it. At least on page 1. 

2 minutes ago, opentype said:

No, but the question already assumes an answer. How would the answer to “is it completely useless in any possible situation” or “can it (even slightly) increase the chances of more replies be? 

Actually, it'll increase replies by 0 🙃.  

Because +create will create new topics, not replies.  

Right before you posted, I had that same realization that +Create only encourages new content items like topics, albums, or files. It doesn't encourage discussion of existing items like posts, album comments, or file comments.  

Put simply, it allows users to keep creating new and newer shallow items, without deep discussion of existing items.  That's why I said it's like social media, where you keep posting new status updates without any in-depth discussion or comments.  

Archived