Please test search

Matt

That all looks intentional to me. As I say, loose matching (matching "educate" when you search "educator", for example) is a new feature we're trying.

When I search for "educator":

• The first two are results where the title are about education and teaching (the algorithm scores matches found titles higher than in posts)
  • Your post in this topic (where you say "educator", "education" and "educational" several times) is next.
  • Most of the following results include the words "educator", "education" or "educational" once and appear roughly in the order they were posted (newer first).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Mark said:

That all looks intentional to me. As I say, loose matching (matching "educate" when you search "educator", for example) is a new feature we're trying.

• The first two are results where the title are about education and teaching (the algorithm scores matches found titles higher than in posts)
  • Your post in this topic (where you say "educator", "education" and "educational" several times) is next.
  • Most of the following results include the words "educator", "education" or "educational" once and appear roughly in the order they were posted (newer first).

Mark, this is just for English or it works with other languages?

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Is this feature going to be on all the time or will we be able to set how we want the default search to perform?

If I search for "educator", I would rather have exact matches float to the top first, rather than have similar words floated to the top just because they have a similar word in the title.

222.thumb.PNG.8a34d6b6b81db9fae74386f3600bd700.PNG

Exact matches should *always* be given priority. Here, the titles are weighted with a priority over the exact matches.

I agree with @All Astronauts.  In particular, when you're searching for words that are long ("educator" is eight characters), the user is most likely looking for an exact match.  There's a reason why a user typed out so many characters.  This is in contrast to a short word like "edu", where one could reasonably expect stemming or variations.  

I also agree with @Sonya*.  Her content is most important to her (even if other content may be higher quality or more discussed), so even though there are lots of other topics I think users would feel more comfortable seeing their own content as some of the first results.  To put it another way, do users tend to search - and want to see - results for something new, independent, and unrelated? Or do users tend to search - and want to see - results that are familiar, related, and from their past posting history? 

When I use Google to search my site, it works excellent every time without even thinking about how I need to format my search or how I may need to change words etc...

My users are all used to Google (like it or not).

Please use Google as the benchmark when tweaking IPS search.

I agree with @Joel R and @All Astronauts on this: when one types "educator" one wants exact matches first.  I'm not concerned whether or not my uses of the word come first; but IMHO a search should return "educator," perhaps followed by "educators," and then maybe "educate" etc.  Perhaps all of this is to say with All Astronauts that loose matching should be an option which can be turned on/off with a slider or something.

With something as important as search, I think these distinctions (between "loose" and "exact" matching) should also be annotated on-screen for the user so they know how their search is going to be performed.  This gets back to one of my other observations re: the search interface: it could be much more user-friendly, and using drop-down menus with small-text annotation would be an improvement, and would allow better use of the Advanced Search page's real estate.

It's an experiment. Obviously if it progresses to an actual feature it will be optional... though I'm not sure if it will be on a site-wide level rather or per search.

14 hours ago, Chris027 said:

When I use Google to search my site, it works excellent every time without even thinking about how I need to format my search or how I may need to change words etc...

My users are all used to Google (like it or not).

Please use Google as the benchmark when tweaking IPS search.

Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 08.05.10.png

I think we're doing pretty good in this comparison :lol:

Will all due respect, after running a search on "educator" again the first two matches don't even contain the word.

Hey look, I love you guys and I am with Invision for the long haul, but I'm not so sure about the "pretty good" comparison with what Google comes up with.  But perhaps no one can compare with Google Search? :unsure:

21 hours ago, Mark said:

There are loads of topics with "our picks" in the title. Why would yours show before them?

If I filter by author, your topic is the first result: https://invisioncommunity.com/search/?&q=our picks&author=Sonya*

Yes, it works. Seems that I missed something when testing. :) But another question, where the words that are not in the search are ignored and results do not respect ALL search terms is still there. 

In 4.1 users reported about members search, which nicknames started with underscore (any count of them). For search test i registered new user @___Upgradeovec___ here and the search by members returned that:

-600wxcARn6bmCe7UuaZvg.png

(and mentions showed that)

5sw-jMUORoednIILTrY40w.png

Hoo28cmsSI6AtKZ5DuOU3g.png

It's not so bad, because in older search it was found nothing. But, is that results are correct?

And one more question - will we need to wait searching ability in archieved topics? This point is one blocker, which stop us to use it.

Thanks!

upd.: and one more question - have we any chance for obtain 1 symbol max limit (or no limit for characters needed) to search? Our asian users write hieroglyphs which is parsed as one symbol and users can't search by what they actually want to find.

On 11/21/2017 at 8:10 PM, Mark said:

But yes, I get it - you don't like the stemming feature we're trying. Thanks for the feedback.

It's not that I don't like it - I just think that the more search options an end user has the better.  So if stemming were combined with an exact search I think that would be optimal.

Honestly, it's worst. I can't find things here anymore. If I search for a resource on Downloads like bulk followers management, it will appear only in page 9, and that's the whole file name. If I search in quotes "bulk followers management" no result is found. Google:

1IXzqY1.png

This is one example; you can search for anything.

Even to find this topic here is hard. I had to go to Matt's profile and go to his content.

8 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Honestly, it's worst. I can't find things here anymore. If I search for a resource on Downloads like bulk followers management, it will appear only in page 9, and that's the whole file name. If I search in quotes "bulk followers management" no result is found. Google:

This is one example; you can search for anything.

Even to find this topic here is hard. I had to go to Matt's profile and go to his content.

First Result for me:

T85qYXI8SYeDVoP-YERsYw.png

Archived