Please test search

Matt

2 hours ago, Matt said:

It's still work in progress guys, no need to stand on the window ledge just yet.

I posted my feedback as requested:

We're working on some search improvements which are live on our community here, and we'd love for you to test it and let us know what you think. Feel free to have a poke around and evaluate the quality of the results. Let us know how you get on.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Sonya* The default operator is actually "or" rather than "and" now, we just haven't changed the template to adjust the hints. Doing that search with the "and" operator set indeed pulls no results other than your post here: https://invisioncommunity.com/search/?q=search paifhdsjföaf&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

@Upgradeovec The changes we've made here only affects content search right now, no changes to member search have happened yet. Archived posts do not show in search results (you might want to auto-lock topics instead - there's an Automation Rules app which can do things like that). The character limit is a MySQL thing, but... stay tuned, maybe there's a solution ;)

@Adriano Faria Thanks for that example. It turns out there was a bug in the search index which wasn't counting the date a file was last updated, so it thought your file was last updated in May 2016 (when you submitted it) and so the time-based decay was burying it. Fixed now: https://invisioncommunity.com/search/?q=bulk followers management. Please let me know if you have other examples - you mentioned this topic, but searching for "test search" brings it up at the top for me - what were you searching?

@liquidfractal Which topic are you referring to?

If anyone else has examples of things not showing the right results, please let me know including a link to the thing you were expecting to find. As I say, this is pre-alpha testing of what under-the-hood is a very substantial change, there will be further tweaking to be done :) 

5 hours ago, Mark said:

@Sonya* The default operator is actually "or" rather than "and" now, we just haven't changed the template to adjust the hints. Doing that search with the "and" operator set indeed pulls no results other than your post here: https://invisioncommunity.com/search/?q=search paifhdsjföaf&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Well, when I open "More search options" and select Contain all of my search term words then I get OR by default? It is not logical. And if I select Contain any of my search term words then I get the same result. The option ist useless for me right now. Can I get AND results only using operator?

screenshot-invisioncommunity.com 2017-11-27 20-06-01-408.png

7 hours ago, Mark said:

I think that with no operator specified, both an "and" and an "or" operator search on the terms should be executed, with the "and" operator search results being given a score boost in the final search results that are shown to the user. Wouldn't this make more sense?

I've just purchased a new licence and searched for the Member Map application for it. I used the expression member map and had the search filtered by Downloads but the application itself didn't appear in the first 2 (of 22) pages of results, by which point I switched to searching All Content and got the support topic (with link to the app) as the first hit.

@Sonya* Yeah, sorry, we changed the default on the backend but haven't updated the form yet (as it requires a template change) so it's going to seem a bit off right now.

@liquidfractal Great catch! A weird bug was causing some stuff to not get indexed. Fixed now: https://invisioncommunity.com/search/?q=music&item=442101&type=forums_topic

@Haku2 Great minds think alike ;)

@Meddysong I didn't check before fixing it, but it looks like you might have hit the same bug as liquidfractal as it's showing right at the top for me: https://invisioncommunity.com/search/?&q=Member Map - are you still having issues?

@Adriano Faria Good point... will have a think.

On a side note, showing file updates in the stream is awesome. Otherwise if you don't specifically follow the file you can miss important new features and patches in resources you already purchased.

I just hope it won't be abused by devs with fake updates, just to bump constantly their files in the stream. I remember it was an issue for Wordpress. 

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this nearly two year old thread because I'm running into an issue with searching single terms using quotes.  If I search for the term (as an example), "loudness" with quotes, I get tons of results with the word "loud" well before I see any with the word "loudness".  A user was trying to find posts about the Japanese band Loudness, but due to all the "loud" results (obviously this is a fairly common word when searching 4.5 million posts), that made it difficult.

According to a post in this thread, using quotes around a search term should disable stemming:

205899697_ScreenShot2019-07-17at4_01_54PM.thumb.png.da89bdc35125025d30c47efa1a4bb72b.png

I'm not sure if this behavior was left in, and if so, if it is supposed to apply when using Elasticsearch.  If not, is there a way to change this behavior?  I'd much prefer stemming to be disabled if I put quotes around a search term.

Here's the first results on my forum when I search for "loudness":

image.thumb.png.e64280a2eff717f7dbfe4b1d70ca4f91.png

Any results containing "loudness" were from today, when a user asked about this behavior.  It certainly gives quite a bit of precedence to more recent posts, which is fine (I haven't modified the defaults), but I'd still very much like it to only return results for that specific term if in quotes.

Thank you,

..Al

Archived